DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries & Charger

JY-tek

Reactions
I understand that the batteries have a built-in self-discharge capability, but I can't find any real details about how it works. So, I have a couple of questions regarding the batteries and charger...

1. Is it OK to leave batteries connected to the charger for extended periods of time (weeks)?

2. Will the battery self-discharge if it is left connected to the charger for extended time?

In case it makes any difference, I have Mavic Pro Platinum, and use the charging hub for several batteries (5 total).

I understand that the batteries have a built-in self-discharge capability, but I can't find any real details about how it works. So, I have a couple of questions regarding the batteries and charger...

1. Is it OK to leave batteries connected to the charger for extended periods of time (weeks)?

I would not...for safety purposes.

2. Will the battery self-discharge if it is left connected to the charger for extended time?

Likely...but don’t risk a problem (like a fire).

In case it makes any difference, I have Mavic Pro Platinum, and use the charging hub for several batteries (5 total).

Chargers are exactly like battery tenders for motorcycles and cars LOL.

The self-discharge time of those batteries are programmable, check your manual and the app.

Another thing to note is if you discharge the batteries at or below 50% they’re essentially in “storage mode” and can be stored for a month or two without having to worry about them losing capacity. It doesn’t take that long to charge them all back up before going flying.

I charge my batteries in LiPo safe bags NOT on a carpet, and I keep an eye on them... those batteries have a tremendous amount of energy in them and any physical damage or problem in charging can cause a fire. While this is not been the general experience of people with Mavics, one should always err on the side of caution.

Chargers are exactly like battery tenders for motorcycles and cars LOL.

The self-discharge time of those batteries are programmable, check your manual and the app.

Another thing to note is if you discharge the batteries at or below 50% they’re essentially in “storage mode” and can be stored for a month or two without having to worry about them losing capacity. It doesn’t take that long to charge them all back up before going flying.

I charge my batteries in LiPo safe bags NOT on a carpet, and I keep an eye on them... those batteries have a tremendous amount of energy in them and any physical damage or problem in charging can cause a fire. While this is not been the general experience of people with Mavics, one should always err on the side of caution.

Not sure I get everything you're saying. Are you saying that it's OK to leave the batteries on the charger for extended periods of time?

Ok... then a bit more basic:

Personally I would not leave any charger on a Mavic battery for extended periods of time... while those batteries ( if kept in good physical condition ) have an excellent safety record there is always a possibility of something going wrong, the battery swelling up/catching on fire.

Please refer to the sections on battery charging battery storage in this document:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic+Pro+Intelligent+Flight+Battery+Safety+Guidelines-EN.pdf

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Weepo67