DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries

Jayfly

Reactions
Are the batteries in the mavic different then the battery in my MacBook Pro or my iPhone? I have never heard of a need to discharge a Battery for air travel or storage purposes. I generally try to keep those batteries fully charged especially if I'm traveling on a plane.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Yes the batteries for your mavic are lithium polymer batteries. Your iPhone used lithium ion batteries. There are several key differences. Lipo batteries can cause a pretty hot and dangerous fire if punctured and the more charge they have the more dangerous they can be. Your mavic batteries should also be stored well under %100 percent charge for longevity. Most people store somewhere around %35-%50 charge. I believe the battery for the Mavic is smart however, and will automatically discharge a certain percentage after a short period of time.

Air transport makes a difference between batteries that are "in a device" and "spares".
Spares are the ones that they want discharged.

I wonder why they put a non removable LiPo battery in the remote control?
Lipo are better is some applications such as phones and certain electronics. They can be charged fully and left without degradation of the battery, they are more stable and less volatile. There are other reasons as well but those are a couple.

Lipo are better is some applications such as phones and certain electronics. They can be charged fully and left without degradation of the battery, they are more stable and less volatile. There are other reasons as well but those are a couple.
don't you mean Lithium Ion not Lipo?

Yes the batteries for your mavic are lithium polymer batteries. Your iPhone used lithium ion batteries. There are several key differences. Lipo batteries can cause a pretty hot and dangerous fire if punctured and the more charge they have the more dangerous they can be. Your mavic batteries should also be stored well under %100 percent charge for longevity. Most people store somewhere around %35-%50 charge. I believe the battery for the Mavic is smart however, and will automatically discharge a certain percentage after a short period of time.

Ok thanks, I'll be reading more about these batteries then and have a plan for keeping them in top shape once I finally get my Mavic lol

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

One thing nobody mentions is the remote battery. Is it also a Lipo or is it a Lithium Ion battery? Would like to know if it too has special storage requirements.

Air transport makes a difference between batteries that are "in a device" and "spares".
Spares are the ones that they want discharged.

I have a fly more combo. If I am doing air travel, do only my two extra batteries need to be in a lipo safe bag (since one will be in the mavic)?

I have a fly more combo. If I am doing air travel, do only my two extra batteries need to be in a lipo safe bag (since one will be in the mavic)?
they are not required but it can not hurt to have and show the extra level of precaution. I heard transporting them in the original boxes they come in also work well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada