DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery’s keep dying.

Sophorn

Reactions
Hi,

I only use my mini 2 every few months and each time I try to charge the battery shows 4 flashing lights when attempting to recharge which I understand means it is malfunctioning and needs replacement.
The first time I left the battery in the drone for 6 months and it was unable to recharge and I was told in future do not leave it in the drone when not in use.
I bought a new battery and used it on holiday then took it out of the drone and 4 months later tried to use it again.Same problem 4 flashing lights on charge and cannot be charged up.
Now on a third battery.Same story.Used a couple of times,removed it to store and now 3 months later this battery is showing 4 lights flashing and will not charge.
Im not buying another at about £60 a time if they can’t be kept unused for 3 or 4 months without having to replace them.Is this normal?

Welcome to the forum and a word of advice
READ and LEARN proper battery use and maintenance this alone will save you in money
I go thru a dozen batteries a year ( yes I fly over3 hrs daily ) and I almost always get my full 200 cycles out of them.
for a normal user you should get plenty of long life from your batteries ( 200 cycles ) but you must treat the batteries the same way you treat the drone or better
Batteries should be stored at 60 percent if you don't plan on using the drone soon.
Never charge to 100 percent and then store a battery!! no matter what it says about self discharging for safety.
Just don't do it !!!!! lol

Reactions: Sophorn
Just like life…if you don’t get enough exercise…you fall apart. Same story with these drone batteries. Exercise 🔋… no exercise 🪫. I purchased a 6 way charger for my Mini 3 Pro. I know they have the same for the Mini 2. It’s the best resolve for long term storage / maintenance of batteries.

75E6F9F5-23BE-41BB-93E2-665CE13679E9.jpeg
🇨🇦👍

Last edited:
Just like life…if you don’t get enough exercise…you fall apart. Same story with these drone batteries. Exercise 🔋… no exercise 🪫. I purchased a 6 way charger for my Mini 3 Pro. I know they have the same for the Mini 2. It’s the best resolve for long term storage / maintenance of batteries.

View attachment 161477
🇨🇦👍
These are the exact model charging hubs i use they have them for every model drone HIGHLY recommended

...I left the battery in the drone for 6 months and it was unable to recharge
...I bought a new, used it on holiday then took it out of the drone and 4 months later tried to use it again.Same problem
...Now on a third battery.Same story.Used a couple of times,removed it to store and now 3 months later this battery...will not charge.

Is this normal?
With your treatment it's perfectly normal, you seems to consider batteries to be similar to all other hardware on your drone. Batteries is chemistry ... not treated correctly & you destroy it or at best wear it out faster than expected.

Read & follow this below & you give your batteries some possibility for a normal service life ...

Keeping the battery at 100% isn't good for it ... do what you can to minimize the time that they are at that level, the default auto discharge (if your batteries have that feature) down to 60-70% is way too long ... & if you check the level by pushing the button you reset the counter & the counter will restart. If a battery that is above storage % level haven't been used in a couple days, use the USB adapter from the Fly More Kit (if your model have that) to charge something else (your phone) in order to bring it down to storage % (see below ...)

Store the batteries between 30-60% ... a good thumb rule is to take them of the charger as soon as the third led start to blink, then they are just over 50%. But anything between 1 solid + 1 blinking up to 2 solid + 1 blinking is good enough.

Heat kills them ... don't store above room temperature & absolutely not in a car during summer, a couple hours in a burning hot car & the battery have sustained serious permanent damage.

Let them cool down to room temperature before recharging them.

Don't fly with a battery colder than 15C degrees, keep them warm in colder weather, have them in a pocket close to your body.

Don't drain them to low, make sure they don't go under 15% on a regular basis ... once in a while, then so be it. Set the ambition to not have them lower than 20% ... if you aim for that you usually don't end up below 15%.

Don't fly with a battery not recently fully charged, having a battery laying around partially charged for a longer period may make the cells in the battery unbalanced, using a unbalanced battery can make that lower cell fail soon after take off, & initiate a forced low battery auto landing you can’t stop.

If stored for a long time, cycle them at least once each third month ... then back to storage %.

Then remember ... batteries will not last forever

...they will either slowly degrade until the point where the useful flight times are so short that you stop using it

...or it will have a sudden cell failure which will trigger a sudden forced auto landing in the worst possible place

...or it will slowly start to swell to the point where they not fit into the drone anymore

...or the swelling goes off instantly or gets worse when the battery gets hot & push itself out of the drone at height.

The only visual sign is swelling ... which not always occur. Furthermore different drone models have different possibilities to handle a smaller momentary swelling when hot during flight.

So a battery can't be judged only by that it take charge to 100%, isn't swollen & manage to power your drone without mishaps ... too much is going on hidden from just a visual inspection or a test flight, you may have been on the verge to a disaster without knowing it.

You have mainly 2 methods to both prolong the useful service life of the battery & prevent sudden failures ... & judge when it's time to either limit the flight duty (in colder temps for instance) or completely take it off flight tasks.

1.Battery Care
...Never keep the battery cell voltage outside 3,7-3,8v for a longer period than 48h (that is a battery charged to approx 50%). If too high after a flight, discharge them, too low charge them up to storage level again.

...Store them in room temperature ... (too warm is more damaging than too cold)

...Never let them overheat ... (left in the sun or thrown in a hot car)

...Don't charge them hot, let them cool down to room temperature

...Don't use cold batteries, try to have them at room temperature before using them

...Respect the operational ambient temperature specified in the user manual

...Don't push the battery for amp draw (both sticks on max inputs at the same time in Sport mode for instance) when cold or hot ambient temps

...Don't fly them below 15% other in exceptional cases

...Always start a day of flying with the batteries freshly fully charged

2.Battery performance follow up over time
...Follow how the useful calculated max flight time change

...Compare the full charged max mAh compared to the designed mAh

...Monitor how the cell deviations degrades

For all points regarding the battery performance it's a question about trends over time ... just looking at a single flight will not give any insight over the actual health ... having a bit shorter flight time or some bigger cell deviations in one flight can be normal if using Sport mode or flying in colder ambient temps for instance. The paid Airdata subscriptions give the possibility to check these trends over all flight logs uploaded there ... it gives a good decision base to understand the battery health & if it's time to take it off duty.

Reactions: Sophorn
@Sophorn basically all the wonderful advice in the previous posts ,is really trying to tell you ,is if you dont intend flying your drone for extended periods of time ,then to keep the batteries in good shape around every six weeks, check them for remaining charge levels and top them up to around 60% charge, if they have lost any charge ,and after the next six weeks ,find the time to fully charge them, then fly them down to the 60% mark again ,so that way the chemicals in the battery ,will have less chance of deteriorating, to the point where they wont charge up I have 4 batteries for my MPP, that are over 4 years old with hundreds of charges put through them,and they still perform perfectly

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99