DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery bloated after 'Sport mode'.

vjslof

Reactions
One of my batteries got a little bloated after flying in sport-mode for a while. Got only one warning when flying that the motors reached their maximum speed/power. The voltages of the cells where nice and equal still. Landed the Mavic Pro Platinum and noticed the bottom of the battery was a little bloated. Cooled it down and now it's normal again and the swelling is gone. Battery was allways taken good care of and only 39 times charged and only a year old. At the shop where i bought it online they stated clearly that the battery has a 2 year warranty by manufacturer (have proof, says so on the bill) but DJI itself only gives 6 months of warranty.

I've not used the battery anymore. Should i go for a warranty-claim at the company or is occasional swelling of the battery after flying in sport-mode normal? Flying in sport-mode that day it occured was a sunny day with temperature around 25-28 ºC.

One of my batteries got a little bloated after flying in sport-mode for a while. Got only one warning when flying that the motors reached their maximum speed/power. The voltages of the cells where nice and equal still. Landed the Mavic Pro Platinum and noticed the bottom of the battery was a little bloated. Cooled it down and now it's normal again and the swelling is gone. Battery was allways taken good care of and only 39 times charged and only a year old. At the shop where i bought it online they stated clearly that the battery has a 2 year warranty by manufacturer (have proof, says so on the bill) but DJI itself only gives 6 months of warranty.

I've not used the battery anymore. Should i go for a warranty-claim at the company or is occasional swelling of the battery after flying in sport-mode normal? Flying in sport-mode that day it occured was a sunny day with temperature around 25-28 ºC.
Yes, ask for a new battery if it’s still got a warranty. I have had this happen, I came to the understanding that that’s exactly why they put those areas in the battery because naturally they will swell on occasion. Usually heat related. As long as the cells stay balanced the battery is fine. And of course the puff should have subsided.

that slight swelling you spoke of is because the combination of a hot day the fact you were in sport mode,combined with the fact that when in use the battery plus the drone itself get quite hot any way was due to the chemical reactions going on in the battery,if it went away once it cooled down and as you say the individual cell readings were all the same then you should be ok to charge it up and use it again,make sure that you keep the batteries out of the sun before you use them, and dont leave them inside a hot vehicle sport mode is very power hungry on the battery and should be used with caution i personally have never used it on my MPP and have never felt the need to use it

Reactions: Texas Mavic
I flew my mavic pro today. I flew 3 batteries. The last one got bloated and a bit. Not sure what to do with it now.

I flew it in sport mode. Was it getting too hot because of sport mode? DSC_0824.JPG

I flew my mavic pro today. I flew 3 batteries. The last one got bloated and a bit. Not sure what to do with it now.

I flew it in sport mode. Was it getting too hot because of sport mode? View attachment 78443
I have the same condition here with my battery.
Bloated after 2 consecutive sport modes.
Maybe we could compare our batteries serial numbers.
Ok?

Tks.

Ricardo
Brazil

that battery has been replaced under warranty in the shop. They were not happy about it and the 2 year warranty was a mistake but was valid. Now the warranty message has been removed from the website.

• Haha
Reactions: dawgpilot
I have the same condition here with my battery.
Bloated after 2 consecutive sport modes.
Maybe we could compare our batteries serial numbers.
Ok?

Tks.

Ricardo
Brazil
Looks like the warranty given was a local deal only.
Check the straightness of the plastic frame of that battery. Mine was warped and put more pressure on the latching mechanism. This could lead to the battery being ejected during flight and loss of power and drone!

Thats bad don't use it.. if it's under six months have it replaced if not toss it.

Even if the swelling subsides when cool, it will increase again when it warms up. There's battery outgassing captured in the flexible battery seal and gas expands/contracts with temperature. The swelling may slowly get worse.

Personally I still use my swollen M2 batteries for ground work, preflight warm up and settings and cautionary low altitude, close distance flights. Capacity has not diminished much, about a minute or two from a 23 minute new battery baseline test.
I'm reconsidering my position though in light of the recent news report of one's drone battery catching fire during charge.

Also the M2 mounts it's battery on top which has the assistance of gravity to hold it in place. If the MA has its battery below, it has gravity working against you.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird