DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery bricked by using charging hub.

Bftx

Reactions
I received my new Mavic Air 2 FlyMore Combo today, threw the batteries on the charging hub, and one battery looks to be bricked.

I’ve since connected the battery to the single charger, as instructed by DJIs bulletin, with no luck.

After reading the forums, it looks like this issue was mentioned as a possibility a few weeks ago. Talk about disappointing, I’ve followed this same charging method on the Mavic Air and Mavic Mini with no issue.

Support request is in with DJI. Has anyone else experienced this, and have a fix?

I received my new Mavic Air 2 FlyMore Combo today, threw the batteries on the charging hub, and one battery looks to be bricked.

I’ve since connected the battery to the single charger, as instructed by DJIs bulletin, with no luck.

After reading the forums, it looks like this issue was mentioned as a possibility a few weeks ago. Talk about disappointing, I’ve followed this same charging method on the Mavic Air and Mavic Mini with no issue.

Support request is in with DJI. Has anyone else experienced this, and have a fix?

We put that alert out as quick as we could and so did others, there is no fix as of yet,
The good thing is DJI is aware so you will get a better response than normal but its going to require you to send it in and that requires is a slow process.

Were hoping it will be fixed with an update, but I think they rushed this out knowing of the problem

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain.
Coal .

We put that alert out as quick as we could and so did others, there is no fix as of yet,
The good thing is DJI is aware so you will get a better response than normal but its going to require you to send it in and that requires is a slow process.

Were hoping it will be fixed with an update, but I think they rushed this out knowing of the problem

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic in the Rain.
Coal .
It seems to be random, I’ve heard a lot of folks charging initially using the hub with no issues. Maybe it’s a bad batch of batteries as well? Who knows. I’ll report back when I hear more from DJI.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but isn't the problem confined to batteries that have never had any charge put in them?

In other words, when you first get your units, if when you press on the power indicator for the first time and there is no lights visible, that means that the battery was never initialized and so you must NOT charge it on the bank charger. You must instead charge it on the single battery charger; otherwise it WILL brick and after that initial single charge you can safely charge them 3 at a time on the bank charger.

Is that correct?

Correct me if I'm wrong; but isn't the problem confined to batteries that have never had any charge put in them?

In other words, when you first get your units, if when you press on the power indicator for the first time and there is no lights visible, that means that the battery was never initialized and so you must NOT charge it on the bank charger. You must instead charge it on the single battery charger; otherwise it WILL brick and after that initial single charge you can safely charge them 3 at a time on the bank charger.

Is that correct?
yes correct

Is that correct?

Yes that is correct as others have said. it has to do with the Activation of the battery and using the Single Charge battery charger is the only way to activate or you will brick them using the 3 /pc battery charger.

Others have said that it is hit or miss but I dont think it is , if that battery is dead on arrival you have got to follow these single charge instruction to activate or brick yourself .

Reactions: AIredale1
Why would anybody risk something so silly?

It was heavily detailed here and YouTube. Just charge then one at a time, without the hub.

Took me about 2.5 hours total.

Totally worth having 3 working batteries... Actually, because I did it correctly and waited the 2.5 hours, I'm sincerely hoping I don't have to send back my whole FMC (including batteries) just to get the gimbal fixed.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Makes you loose faith on DJI!! Why would they do such a thing for the sake of market competition?! DJI is way ahead of any other consumer drone manufacturer and why would they compensate the quality :(:mad:
Because it's DJI (every release is plagued with bugs) and the pandemic has people needing money.

Makes you loose faith on DJI!! Why would they do such a thing for the sake of market competition?! DJI is way ahead of any other consumer drone manufacturer and why would they compensate the quality :(:mad:

Dont get quality confused with a software bug, One line of code is all it takes from the thousands of codes to me missing or have a bad variable.
I cannot think of single company in the world that put out flawless code, , MS , Apple the list is endless. Just a warning sticker would have gone a long way but they must not have known about it until they shipped..

I called DJI support, not a good experience. Rep was very rude, and basically said there are no other options to try, and that I would need to send it in for repair.

I called DJI support, not a good experience. Rep was very rude, and basically said there are no other options to try, and that I would need to send it in for repair.

The problem was not with the DJI rep being rude as much as you were really hoping for a different outcome.

The reason why we use the word Brick is because there is no viable solution other than replacement or repair. Thus the WARNING ! dont use the charging base.

Last edited:
Reactions: nencmeister
The problem was not with the DJI rep being rude as much as you were really hoping for a different outcome.

The reason why we use the word Brick is because there is no viable solution other than replacement or repair. Thus the WARNING ! dont use the charging base.
I beg to differ. Two issues, CS rep not showing good customer service skills, and the second being a faulty battery design.

I beg to differ. Two issues, CS rep not showing good customer service skills, and the second being a faulty battery design.
Problem number one (bad CSR) could have been avoided if you would have charged your batteries off the hub, thereby avoiding problem number 2. It was SO heavily detailed... There's no excuse. You should be happy they're replacing them for free. I understand THEY did not detail it, but why test it?

Problem number one (bad CSR) could have been avoided if you would have charged your batteries off the hub, thereby avoiding problem number 2. It was SO heavily detailed... There's no excuse. You should be happy they're replacing them for free. I understand THEY did not detail it, but why test it?
Where was this heavily detailed? It’s a design flaw plain and simple. All other FlyMore combos have charged the same way. Glad you are not the engineer. Do not leave a design gap for consumer error that will in the long run cost the company money.

Where was this heavily detailed? It’s a design flaw plain and simple. All other FlyMore combos have charged the same way. Glad you are not the engineer. Do not leave a design gap for consumer error that will in the long run cost the company money.
That's what engineers do best. They don't think of the technician that has to service something. (I deal with it every day) They don't care. They designed a battery that, if charged correctly, can fly for 30+ minutes, charge in just over an hour, and still fit in your hand, and I'm sure they were paid handsomely for that. Who cares if the end user can't be bothered to heed PSA's describing the problem in detail. (Just YouTube it) There is even multiple languages covering it. Once DJI gets the battery back, they can very easily fix it, and flip it out to the next guy.
Costing THEM nothing...

Costing YOU time and headache.

EDIT: If you read above, my FMC was charged individually... Just like I'm sure most everybody else's was.

Reactions: Drgnfli
@Bftx

Actually DJI DID document it... and it was posted on this forum.

Here is the actual post within the thread (read the whole thread after reading the DJI notice, which includes the German video)

Reactions: tribar
Pressing the power button on arrival says nothing. All DJI intelligent batteries when shipped will show no response until a charge is put on them. Many laptops are also shipped this way.

There's no need to ridicule a user who tries to charge their batteries from the hub. That would be a natural thing to do, and a very strange and unusual thing for doing so to cause the battery to become useless.

Now if there is a problem, CSRs should be made aware of it with a process to rectify with a replacement battery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr