DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Care

Chris Baish

Reactions
Some interesting observations from the newly released manual, which are different to the usual guidance on DJI batteries.

It is recommended that you discharge batteries to at least 30% during use.

The batteries do not auto discharge. It recommends you manually discharge to between 39% and 75%. This makes the charging hub almost essential for maintenance. If I don't use my batteries and need to discharge them I plan to discharge them in the hub (by using it to charge my phone) one at a time down to storage level of approx. 50%. The reason for doing it one at a time is that otherwise it will fully discharge each battery before moving onto the next.

Edit: link added. 2nd document from the bottom of the page

Last edited:
Some interesting observations from the newly released manual, which are different to the usual guidance on DJI batteries.

It is recommended that you discharge batteries to at least 30% during use.

The batteries do not auto discharge. It recommends you manually discharge to between 39% and 75%. This makes the charging hub almost essential for maintenance. If I don't use my batteries and need to discharge them I plan to discharge them in the hub (by using it to charge my phone) one at a time down to storage level of approx. 50%. The reason for doing it one at a time is that otherwise it will fully discharge each battery before moving onto the next.
Link please... TIA

Here’s what I found in the above linked Mavic Mini User Manual. The underlining added to the existing text. DJI is recommending 39% to 75% charge for storage of batteries.

9. Communication: Information about the battery's voltage, capacity, and current is transmitted to the
aircraft.
Refer to the Mavic Mini Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines before use. Users take full responsibility for all operations and usage.

The Mavic Mini Intelligent Flight Battery cannot discharge automatically. If the battery will not be used for more than 10 days, it is recommended to discharge the battery manually until the battery level is between 39% and 75%.

Specifications of the Intelligent Flight Battery for the Japanese version are different. Refer to the Specifications section for more information. The battery features are the same for all versions of the Mavic Mini Intelligent Flight Battery.

Here’s what I found in the above linked Mavic Mini User Manual. The underlining added to the existing text. DJI is recommending 39% to 75% charge for storage of batteries.

9. Communication: Information about the battery's voltage, capacity, and current is transmitted to the
aircraft.
Refer to the Mavic Mini Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines before use. Users take full responsibility for all operations and usage.

The Mavic Mini Intelligent Flight Battery cannot discharge automatically. If the battery will not be used for more than 10 days, it is recommended to discharge the battery manually until the battery level is between 39% and 75%.

Specifications of the Intelligent Flight Battery for the Japanese version are different. Refer to the Specifications section for more information. The battery features are the same for all versions of the Mavic Mini Intelligent Flight Battery.
Yes. Also it seems to contradict the other guidance which says that you should always discharge beyond 30%. A bit confusing! Presumably if I'm to follow this exactly, I have to discharge past 30% then charge back up to at least 39% for storage!?

Thanks for posting this thread. It made me curious. As an ongoing battery maintenance plan, do you suggest a strategy that follows a discharge/store/charge/fly sequence or a discharge/recharge/store/fly sequence?

My reading is:
* When flying, keep using the same battery until its below 30% (IOW if you have a 5 min flight, don't swap batteries).
* When not flying, discharge batteries to 2/3 bars for long term storage.

The reason you might not want to re-charge your batteries after short flights, is that you will end up with uneven usage in the battery, which in turn will make it harder for the drone to correctly estimate the amount of fly time left... IOW the first 33% of your battery might discharge in 3 mins. but the remaining 66% would take 20mins?

My reading is:
* When flying, keep using the same battery until its below 30% (IOW if you have a 5 min flight, don't swap batteries).
* When not flying, discharge batteries to 2/3 bars for long term storage.

The reason you might not want to re-charge your batteries after short flights, is that you will end up with uneven usage in the battery, which in turn will make it harder for the drone to correctly estimate the amount of fly time left... IOW the first 33% of your battery might discharge in 3 mins. but the remaining 66% would take 20mins?
Is the only way to discharge to fly??

Is the only way to discharge to fly??
The hub included with the combo can also be used as a power bank. Note though that the hub uses one battery at a time and stays with that battery until depleted, so you will want to pull the battery from the hub when it gets down to 3 or 2 LEDs.

Reactions: Thanev
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121