DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Charge/discharge Cycles

ScottTX

Reactions
Is there a thread that discusses the general consensus for how many charge/discharge cycles you should expect with the batteries on our drones?

Batteries in "premium" consumer devices, like phones & tablets, typically state 500 cycles.

This number is based on the following assumptions:

1 The discharge rate is not near as high as with our drones.

2 This cycle count assumes ~80% of the rated capacity being available at 500 cycles. Some companies are now claiming 1000 cycles for "typical use cases. Apple says iPhone 15 batteries have a longer lifespan than initially thought - 9to5Mac

3 Drone batteries are often subjected to higher temperatures

I haven't found any threads that are talking about our drones getting anywhere near 500 cycles.

Depends on the battery, but they'll probably last longer than the drone.

My M3 batteries have 157, 150, and 149 cycles and all are at 85% according to Airdata.

What is considered a battery cycle? By that I mean if I fly my Air 3 and recharge the batteries afterwards, I understand each battery has gone through a cycle. Now, if they sit all week and I charge them to top off, i.e. start the next weekend with fully charged batteries, have they each gone through another cycle for that top off?

What is considered a battery cycle?
Shamelessly stolen from elsewhere:

Lithium-ion batteries work in charge cycles. You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that represents 100% of your battery’s capacity - but not necessarily all from one charge.

For instance, you might use 75% of your battery’s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25% the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100%, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle.

It could take several days to complete a cycle.

Wow. Impressive. I guess that is why they call them smart batteries. Thanks for the info. Quite a bit different than back in my day when we all had to search around in the drawer for size D batteries for the flashlight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas