DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Discharge Adjustment?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reactions
Recently sold my MP1 and currently waiting to land a deal on a new Zoom

On my MP1, I was able to set all 4 of my batteries to self discharge after 1 day

Is this adjustment still possible with the Zoom?

Generally spoken: Yes. You can change the settings for discharging in the app if I remember right...

Can you confirm this?

I've read on the other forum that it's not possible with the Mavic 2 birds ?

When the Mavic 2 series was first launched, the discharge time was set at ten days, and it was not adjustable, so you did not misread that. This has since been updated, and you can now manually adjust the discharge days per your needs. I don't recall if this was due to a firmware update or an update to GO4, but either way, it's now there.

Reactions: 98 SNAKE EATER
When the Mavic 2 series was first launched, the discharge time was set at ten days, and it was not adjustable, so you did not misread that. This has since been updated, and you can now manually adjust the discharge days per your needs. I don't recall if this was due to a firmware update or an update to GO4, but either way, it's now there.

Great!!

I was a bit worried cause I've seen quite a few videos about MP2 batteries swelling.

I've been using Lipo's for well over a decade now and have always made it a point not to leave a pack fully charged for more than a day.

By comparison, I've had all four of my MP1 batts set to discharge after just one day and never had an issue even after countless self discharging cycles, whereas one of my co-workers with an MP1 left his set to the default 10 day setting only to have three of his four batteries fail over the years

Reactions: Brockrock
So does that mean if one doesn't fly for a fortnight, the batteries stored in the carry case, they need charging before the flight, all of them? Have never investigated any of the options mentioned above. That may answer the question of short flight times after some time not flying.

So does that mean if one doesn't fly for a fortnight, the batteries stored in the carry case, they need charging before the flight, all of them? Have never investigated any of the options mentioned above. That may answer the question of short flight times after some time not flying.

It depends how long you want to fly for. The intelligent batteries self discharge to around 60% after the predetermined timespan. I only recharge one again (fully) the same day or night before a flight.

Typically, you don't want to leave Lipo batteries fully charged for more than a few hours at a time :confused:

Each cell will start to unbalance and the chemical makeup will eventually cause them to swell if this type of use is repeated ?

On standard Lipo battery packs, it's best to store them at around 50-60%, so if you don't plan on using them for a day, you need to discharge each cell to around 3.8v (either by using them to that point or discharging with a smart charger) ?

DJI's "intelligent" batteries make the process easy as they will self discharge to this point, however, the default setting of 10 days is just way too long, which is why I set all my packs to just 1 day ?

This way, if I have them fully charged and I'm not able to fly due to bad weather or whatever reason, I know they'll self discharge to a safe voltage by the next day :)

I know most people just want to keep them fully charged and have them ready at the drop of a hat, but that's just not how Lipo batteries work ?

I have several Lipo packs that are well over a decade old and still function just fine cause I've taken proper care of them ?

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming