DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery discharge

DGNOO

Reactions
Hi folks
I cannot find this discussion in the forum so need to ask.
What is the best way to discharge my Mavic 2 pro batteries and to what level?
Also any recommendations for keeping batteries in tip-top shape.
Thanks

Hi folks
I cannot find this discussion in the forum so need to ask.
Also any recommendations for keeping batteries in tip-top shape.
Thanks
I am just using the same setup as this guy on this video
I have used it for my Mavic Air batteries and now I am using it for the M2P packs. Its discharging the batteries to 3.8V per cell for storage. The settings can be changed if you wish to different values using a link cable and connecting this discharger to PC.
The whole set including the discharger, battery cable, and link cable costed me less than £40. I highly recommend it.

Flying with them is the easiest way to discharge the batteries. If you want to manually discharge the batteries for some reason, here are a few devices you could use:

IRCtek Battery Discharger
Discharges batteries down to 60% or 0%
1566059551293.png

DJI Battery to Power Bank Adapter
Discharge batteries by charging an electronic device

1566059628424.png

Mavic Angel Battery Discharger
Discharges batteries with a bulb

1566059525606.png

any recommendations for keeping batteries in tip-top shape
Follow the tips in this guide:
HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Mavic batteries

here is what i use if i need to discharge my batteries its home made and uses a 55 watt 12 volt car bulb from a fog lamp they have a very thick filament i used a couple of spare phone clamps the type you get on the PH3 and made up the rig to hold the bulb

you need to be careful when you use it as it gets very hot hence the need to mount it securely i have connections on it for my standard 3c lipos the ph3 lipos and my MPP ones as well it has worked fine for a couple of years now i did use an on off switch on it just for safety to isolate the bulb and it means i can just turn it off when the battery has dicharged to the level i require and let the bulb cool down before i handle it the 55 watt current draw to the bulb is about the same as the drain when the mav is flying and the battery gets slightly warm during discharge but not overly so some of my 3c lipos are more than 2 and half years old and are still going strong see pics FHD0012.JPGFHD0013.JPGFHD0015.JPG

In my testing, the M2 batteries will not take a top off charge until they drop to 95%, so if at 96-99% and you want to top off to 100% before flight, you first have to discharge to 95%, best done with the DJI Battery to Power Bank Adapter indoors by plugging in your tablet for a while, unless you want to power on the drone and hover for a minute or two.

As to best charging practices, wait until the battery has cooled off to room temperature after use, and then charge as soon therafter as possible, to minimize leaving the battery in a fully discharged state for any longer than necessary.

Last edited:
20 charges then we go to +- 8% every time, too?
I like keep mini +- 40%...

20 charges then we go to +- 8% every time, too?
I like keep mini +- 40%...
No dont follow that practice of bringing it down to 8% that is just crazy and dont know why dji recommended that back in the day I know these have smart boards on them but I just don't see that being good for a lipo so I have never done it and never had a problem I always keep them at a storage charge when not in use 3.8v a cell is good....if you are on vacation or won't be around the lipos for a good while, you should have someone check on them as they do lose a charge sitting around...?

I dont have a voltage indicator....on my P3, i keep them about +- 30%...sometimes i give a little extra charge again until +- 40%..
ALWAYS charge 100% and then use them after charge. Thats my rule number one.

I dont have a voltage indicator....on my P3, i keep them about +- 30%...sometimes i give a little extra charge again until +- 40%..
ALWAYS charge 100% and then use them after charge. Thats my rule number one.
Well you are doing it the right way....good stuff??

Edit this is how I usually gauge my batterys also I'm not sure if the P3 has this option but for the mavic 2 zoom you could turn on voltage read out in the app under battery settings and then you could see what each cell voltage is at... Best to do it when you are back and done flying this way voltage is stable... And you get a true reading for storage etc

Reactions: Mordor
Well you are doing it the right way....good stuff??

Edit this is how I usually gauge my batterys also I'm not sure if the P3 has this option but for the mavic 2 zoom you could turn on voltage read out in the app under battery settings and then you could see what each cell voltage is at... Best to do it when you are back and done flying this way voltage is stable... And you get a true reading for storage etc
If you base it on cell voltage alone, even after landing at 1%, all cells will still display 3.64V, which looks pretty good, but definitely requires a full charge thereafter to restore the battery.

7307D3E1-D77C-40C6-A503-15C207BA09ED.jpeg

If you base it on cell voltage alone, even after landing at 1%, all cells will still display 3.64V, which looks pretty good, but definitely requires a full charge thereafter to restore the battery.

View attachment 80166
Meh 3.64 is a little low....a good storage charge is 3.80 to 3.85v per cell. U also have to remember that when getting itnto the 3.6v range lipos are not stable and voltage will sag depending on what user is doing... And for an unexperienced new person things can get ugly fast.. ..and the reason u see that at 1% is because 1 % is not really 1%.....u picking up what im putting down?? All jokes aside dji does this on purpose because like i sd could be catastrophic if flying in sport mode and u are at 3.6v per cell... This is pretty smart actually on djis part probably saves them money and grief as far as warranty's etc .....because if that was the real percentage voltage would be around 3.3 to 3.5 v....so yea technically u can still fly at 2, 1, and even 0% .....buddy of mine made it almost a mile on 0% ......im just so used to treating lipos like traditional lipos and not smart lipos.....it has paid off for me

Last edited:
P3 app can definitely display voltage.
Also on P3 there's less of a reserve in percentage compared to M2.
If memory serves, 0% on a P3 is 3.2v, which back then everyone was saying was the low point with 3.6v the middle.

P3 app can definitely display voltage.
Also on P3 there's less of a reserve in percentage compared to M2.
If memory serves, 0% on a P3 is 3.2v, which back then everyone was saying was the low point with 3.6v the middle.
I can believe that with DJI batteries they hold a reserve .... 5% is not really 5% on a dji lipo..

Meh 3.64 is a little low....a good storage charge is 3.80 to 3.85v per cell. U also have to remember that when getting itnto the 3.6v range lipos are not stable and voltage will sag depending on what user is doing... And for an unexperienced new person things can get ugly fast.. ..and the reason u see that at 1% is because 1 % is not really 1%.....u picking up what im putting down?? All jokes aside dji does this on purpose because like i sd could be catastrophic if flying in sport mode and u are at 3.6v per cell... This is pretty smart actually on djis part probably saves them money and grief as far as warranty's etc .....because if that was the real percentage voltage would be around 3.3 to 3.5 v....so yea technically u can still fly at 2, 1, and even 0% .....buddy of mine made it almost a mile on 0% ......im just so used to treating lipos like traditional lipos and not smart lipos.....it has paid off for me
Indeed! DJI has left significant power in the tank at their new 0%, which is probably the equivalent of the old 10% on the P3P's. I, myself, made it well over a mile on 0% on my M2. Truly forced descent did not take place until the lowest cell voltage dropped below 3.0V. Had I elevated sufficiently before reaching that voltage, I could have flown even further in a descending glide path forward, without running into the ground. Even after reaching 3.0V , there is at least another .5V to go, as in the FW battery parameter settings, the truly forced descent can be set as low as 2.5V. However the rate of voltage decline below 3.25V is radical! You can safely go to 0%, without damaging the battery, as long as you practice flying while fighting the descent with sufficient forward left stick, and know how to quickly hand catch! It's only for experienced pilots who need to push the flight time to max, without adding external batteries!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato