DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Drain while not in use?

I have lost a battery to discharge.
Long story short, up here where I live I basically put the drone to bed for the winter
out of sight, out of mind
went to use and found 1 of the 4 completely drained, and this a battery that was flown 3 times with charging followed
now battery is dead, charger will not recharge it
just a reminder to others and self not to let them totally discharge, costly mistake

anyone here know if I can resuscitate this battery? or is it relegated to the recycling heap?

I have lost a battery to discharge.
Long story short, up here where I live I basically put the drone to bed for the winter
out of sight, out of mind
went to use and found 1 of the 4 completely drained, and this a battery that was flown 3 times with charging followed
now battery is dead, charger will not recharge it
just a reminder to others and self not to let them totally discharge, costly mistake

anyone here know if I can resuscitate this battery? or is it relegated to the recycling heap?
Have you tried putting it in the drone? It’s likely they’ve gone into hibernation and I ‘think’ if you connect them to the drone, do the normal switch on process, you may ‘wake them up’.

Have you tried putting it in the drone? It’s likely they’ve gone into hibernation and I ‘think’ if you connect them to the drone, do the normal switch on process, you may ‘wake them up’.
yes, it has completely died, not even a whimper. But thanks for the idea, I never thought of that, and may have missed a post recommending that somewhere along the line
I was hoping it would work, but unfortunately no go.
These little birds are technological wonders and at the same time nightmares, learning a little more every day.
Thanks again, now I just have an expensive paperweight :)

Expensive lesson! For others that are new to DJI’s intelligent battery, if you are not using your drone for an extended period (several months), set a reminder in your calendar to put them through a Full Charge / Discharge to 60% cycle routinely - I think the recommendation is no longer than every 3 months.

Reactions: Torcan
Just charge them normally to get them out of hibernation.

your battery now is in the "smart locked" state (push button, LEDs and charging are disabled) but it's still alive.
DJI has preprogrammed its batteries with deep-discharge lock-down to avoid their further usage.
It happens every time the voltage on any cells drops below 2.0V threshold.
But some smart guys already found solutions how to recover such batteries.
The idea is to reprogramm the firmware to clear those 'deep-discharge error' flags and to precharge the cells by small current. Then it could start charging by DJI charger. There is some loss in capacity of around 1 to 10% depending how long battery was deeply discharged.
The method only works for fresh locked batteries so the cell's charge is above zero volt otherwise cells considered to be unrecoverable.

Is it normal for the batteries to slowly discharge? Fully charged my 3 batteries and a week later they had dropped by 25% without being used.
In general what I’ve read is that you should not charge your LiPo batteries until as close as possible to when you’d use them. Leaving them in a charged state is bad for their lifespan which is why the “intelligent” part of the battery self discharges after some time. I usually charge the night before if planning on flying next morning.

Expensive lesson! For others that are new to DJI’s intelligent battery, if you are not using your drone for an extended period (several months), set a reminder in your calendar to put them through a Full Charge / Discharge to 60% cycle routinely - I think the recommendation is no longer than every 3 months.

A full charge cycle on DJI batteries is going down to 60%? Wouldn't it be 0%?

Not the same as the intelligent batteries but:
I left my Tello batteries unattended for too long. One of the three was flagged bad by the USB hub. AC wouldn't turn on with it either.
Charged the battery for a minute using the AC, after which the hub could fully charge it. Might work for the MM1 if that ever happens.

your battery now is in the "smart locked" state (push button, LEDs and charging are disabled) but it's still alive.
DJI has preprogrammed its batteries with deep-discharge lock-down to avoid their further usage.
The idea is to reprogramm the firmware to clear those 'deep-discharge error' flags and to precharge the cells by small current. Then it could start charging by DJI charger. There is some loss in capacity of around 1 to 10% depending how long battery was deeply discharged.
The method only works for fresh locked batteries so the cell's charge is above zero volt otherwise cells considered to be unrecoverable.
How do I “reprogram the firmware”?

How do i
how would I reprogram the firm ware

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FormerCyclist