DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Malfunction

frodri

Reactions
New drone recreational user of Mavic 2 Pro.
Fully charged battery, had drone take flight, 30 seconds into the flight, message appears says: Battery Malfunction (on a red banner). Tried RTH but no response and didn’t land but fell from sky like 150 ft straight down by shoreline. Dried it out, used another battery but message appeared: overheated circuit. So turned everything off.
Anyone have this happen? What to fo with this situation…
Battery about 1.5 yrs old, maybe 70 flights on it. Im just perplexed by the whole situation.

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpeg
    IMG_1003.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1047.png
    IMG_1047.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 47
If it is multiple batteries It could be the Drone BUT I would borrow someone elses or order a new one and try that BEFORE you could Know If it turns out to be the Drone I would pay the repair quote and they will send you a (refurb) New Drone.

I would also suggest that you get the sand off the drone and out of any vents.
I recollect that the m2 is fan cooled, if so I am deaf so can not check this but is the mavic 2 fan audible or, asked another way, do you hear the fan spinning ?
Ensure that every thing that should turn/spin can turn/spin and is not jammed by sand.

Reactions: Cafguy and frodri
I would also suggest that you get the sand off the drone and out of any vents.
I recollect that the m2 is fan cooled, if so I am deaf so can not check this but is the mavic 2 fan audible or, asked another way, do you hear the fan spinning ?
Ensure that every thing that should turn/spin can turn/spin and is not jammed by sand.
Fan isn't turning. Probably needs to be cleaned-sand in there.

• Love
Reactions: Cafguy
Battery most likely had a bad cell even after showing 100%. The fact you didn't get a battery warning before takeoff (?) it failed very shortly afterwards. Only takes a few seconds to check cell strength before flights to confirm battery health (volts nearly identical). Personally, I've had more low cycle battery failures than high cycle but only 1 in flight. That time I was fortunate to land immediately before disaster struck (RTH is not possible). Hopefully is was fresh water intrusion (not salt) and a thorough cleaning is enough, but don't be afraid to open it up if not.

Battery most likely had a bad cell even after showing 100%. The fact you didn't get a battery warning before takeoff (?) it failed very shortly afterwards. Only takes a few seconds to check cell strength before flights to confirm battery health (volts nearly identical). Personally, I've had more low cycle battery failures than high cycle but only 1 in flight. That time I was fortunate to land immediately before disaster struck (RTH is not possible). Hopefully is was fresh water intrusion (not salt) and a thorough cleaning is enough, but don't be afraid to open it up if not.
It flew for 55 sec then failed mid-flight. Fell by ocean shore, got wet. Will take it apart and clean/replace fan. Also getting message saying: video system error. Wish me luck

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • Wow
Reactions: Capt KO
Rinse inside and motors with fresh water, dry thoroughly and use plenty of corrosion block. Electronics and salt water don't often end well.
Good Luck

Reactions: Cafguy and frodri
There are several brand names made for electronics and circuit boards. Look at reviews and prices on Amazon. Auto parts and hardware stores carry as well. There's always a Walmart close too.
What corrosion spray would one use? I mean there are circuit boards and wires.

Reactions: frodri
Fell by ocean shore, got wet. Will take it apart and clean/replace fan. Also getting message saying: video system error.
If your drone has been in salt water, it's toast.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inecho