DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Overcurrent

Well I think it is probably normal that the extra 40-60g? pulls more amps, of course because the weight goes up.it is normal to pull more amps with a heavier aircraft.

are the plus-batteries Li-ion cells? because the standart pack is just a regular lipo.
I plan to solder some 4200s Molicel INR21700-P42A, 30 amp to 45 amp, to my old flight battery, as soon as I get my hands on a fresh DJI battery:) and test...

I also tried a comparable pack in parallel to the flight battery, flight time is like 2 minutes more, more stable end voltage, but the added pack was still at 4v end of flight, the internal battery at 3.5. it should be because the added pack is being discharged slower... so that does not work.../thicker cables would help maybe...
Yep it's on the spec page, both using LiIon batteries/voltages

1656358757247.png

So operating at a temperature that is well within the specified max/min operating temperature margins is considered marginal?
No, nor did I say anything like that.

I said that temperature affects battery performance. This can result in power issues at cooler temperatures that don't happen at higher Temps.

Are you saying this isn't possible?

"the increased internal resistance might be what makes it marginal, while at 95°F enough current flows without voltage dropping as much."

So does that not imply the temperature was causing increased internal resistance making it marginal?

It needs to be a good bit colder than that for batteries to start having any significant issues so, as I previously said, I don't think 14°C ambient temperature is the cause of the overcurrent error message.

We are, however, in agreement that warmer temperatures result in better battery performance, and colder temperatures result in poorer battery performance. 14°C is well within the design temperature specifications so will neither result in poor nor enhanced battery performance.

Surprise, surprise, after updating the Mini 3 firmware to the latest, which updated extended batteries too, the problem disappeared.
Are you using a smart controller? I'm having trouble updating the firmware on mine, which prevents me from updating the app. A DJI rep suggested that the update may not be available for the smart controller yet, only for separate mobile devices.

I'm on the latest fw and this evening I flipped it in sport mode (using the Plus battery) and got the battery overcurrent warning right away. Must be a bug or something with the Plus batteries.

Off topic. Your compass seems to be missing the blue / green directional circle.

With a DJI Mini 3 Pro I have a normal battery that came with the unit and on my 4th flight got an overcurrent warning after flying in Sport mode for a minute or two just in a straight line. Very unnerving when you're not sure if that means your drone is about to drop out of the sky. It was on a day with temps around 83 F (28.5C) so not beyond reasonable expectation of operating temperature.

It also gets super hot just sitting there - barely enough time to get files off the drone - which is needed because I can't physically install the SD card because it needs to be pushed so far into the slot before it clicks in.

This combined with unpredictable obstacle avoidance behavior (swerved to avoid something and almost hit something else) is pushing me to return this quad.

Same here. 2nd flight w/ plus battery. Yes I was under full power but I do the same with standard batt w/no issues..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220724-145630.png
    Screenshot_20220724-145630.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
I think pretty much every DJI Mini drone I've had has always thrown up the overcurrent warning message. For me at least at this point its to be expected when operating the drone in fringe conditions.

Would you look at the flight log and see if there's a voltage sag or any other symptom that coincides with the warning?
I will when I get a chance. One thing I’m noticing after a few more flights is the drone seems to compensate for the overcurrent warring by slowing everything down. I was cruising at 38 miles an hour and when the overcurrent warning came on the speed reduced to between three and 9 mph without any wind to speak of.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
You can be pretty sure that DJI designed their birds to cope with a lot of stress and have some built-in backing.
I would definitely not go so far to say, that you can ignore it, but if that pops up in only these specific circumstances, try to avoid or bring it to the attention of DJI - might be a bug too.

I experience wind warning quite recently and have seen, that sometimes a panorama does not finish. You then get a warning, that due to the wind the pano cannot be processed fully as the drone is not able to hold its position accurately. You can easily misjudge what is going on above when standing 120 m below.

Point is, I fully trust the quality so far with what I have flown but would try to avoid those situations on a constant basis.
Certainly, some people go far beyond the rules, requirements and common sense and manage to break it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Octisurfer
You can be pretty sure that DJI designed their birds to cope with a lot of stress and have some built-in backing.
I would definitely not go so far to say, that you can ignore it, but if that pops up in only these specific circumstances, try to avoid or bring it to the attention of DJI - might be a bug too.

I experience wind warning quite recently and have seen, that sometimes a panorama does not finish. You then get a warning, that due to the wind the pano cannot be processed fully as the drone is not able to hold its position accurately. You can easily misjudge what is going on above when standing 120 m below.

Point is, I fully trust the quality so far with what I have flown but would try to avoid those situations on a constant basis.
Certainly, some people go far beyond the rules, requirements and common sense and manage to break it.

Getting the same overload warning in sport mode. Called DJI tech and the guy I spoke with wasn't familiar with the problem but apparently he checked with someone else. (put me on hold for 5 minutes), came back and said it was "normal". That doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

I would further wait and see.
If this warning comes up during heavy load, ie wind, gusts and full throttle, it is traceable and therefore an indicator to either avoid or DJI to check if some measurements are a bit sensible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580