DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Question

Connolly55

Reactions
Apologies if this has been asked/posted before. I did search but couldn’t find the answer.

If I charge my batteries to 100% and store them, is that harmful to them or not?

Sometimes I charge them and the weather can change so don’t end up going out for a flight

Apologies if this has been asked/posted before. I did search but couldn’t find the answer.

If I charge my batteries to 100% and store them, is that harmful to them or not?

Sometimes I charge them and the weather can change so don’t end up going out for a flight
the air 2 batteries will drop their charge from 100% to 96% after 24 hours and will also then discharge to around 65% after a set no of days if not used
it is better to not keep them fully charged for long periods

Thank you. I didn’t know if it was dangerous in anyway.
Thanks again.
although lipos are at their most potent when fully charged ,its the fact that having them fully charged, or indeed at a very low charge for long periods of time, will shorten their useful life span

I went ahead and purchased this - https://www.amazon.com/Hanatora-Battery-Controller-Parallel-Charging/dp/B08J7M1MPL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=Z5XCEIBYSDQC&dchild=1&keywords=hanatora+mavic+air+2&qid=1605759914&sprefix=hanatora,aps,219&sr=8-3

for the storage charge mode option, 120v AC or 12v DC power source, charges up to 4 batteries simultaneously, along with a digital readout of voltage/amp being applied to each battery. I did a "Storage" charge to my three batteries and here are the results:

View attachment 117456
I just ordered the Hanatora. Does it have a storage setting to maintain the batteries>

the air 2 batteries will drop their charge from 100% to 96% after 24 hours and will also then discharge to around 65% after a set no of days if not used
it is better to not keep them fully charged for long periods
Agreed! My mavic pro, if I get caught up with the weather, I'll run it down some. The Mavic Air batteries are the picky ones. The case expands easy so around 50 percent. Batteries want to be used not to sit and store. Heat is #1. Keep them cool and happy.

A good article on battery storage : BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University

Two things are definitely harmful to Lithium-based battery during storage : high charge level and high temperature . Avoid as much as you can.
That statement while true seems contradictory. We ALL charge them typically to full level and then take off the charger AFTER flying. I don't fly my drone everyday - probably like most of us - and they will self-discharge while sitting.

If I know I'm going to fly, then I do check the charge level on the battery and if required - put them back on the charger to full and then go fly.

So, in essence - you are stating that after we fly - do not charge them - but only do it prior to known flying. This also contradicts letting the batteries getting to a "low" charge, which seems harmful to them as well. Most of us don't have the time to sit and watch for a half charged battery and remove it at that point.

Not saying right or wrong - but so many viewpoints on this issue - hard to know what is fact / fiction / half fact. I personally do not like DJI's "smart" battery idea for Air 2.

But it is what it is.

Reactions: cien952
I just ordered the Hanatora. Does it have a storage setting to maintain the batteries>
Not to maintain charge, but it does have a setting to charge or to discharge to 50% for storage.
I love mine due to charging 4 batteries from 15-20% to 100% in 90 minutes or less. Been using it for well over a year with no problems noted.

• Love
Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
Not to maintain charge, but it does have a setting to charge or to discharge to 50% for storage.
I love mine due to charging 4 batteries from 15-20% to 100% in 90 minutes or less. Been using it for well over a year with no problems noted.
I clicked the link to the Hanatora charger sold through Amazon.com, and watched the video. I noticed they appear to do a double press on the battery button for what looks like storage charging. Is my understanding correct; the battery needs to be turned on first, then plugged into the charger when doing storage charging? Please advise, thanks.

I clicked the link to the Hanatora charger sold through Amazon.com, and watched the video. I noticed they appear to do a double press on the battery button for what looks like storage charging. Is my understanding correct; the battery needs to be turned on first, then plugged into the charger when doing storage charging? Please advise, thanks.
I don’t believe so... will check later when I have a battery that needs this kind of charge.

According to the Hanatora manual the battery should be ON (by means of single tap, then taphold) when putting them in the charger for a storage charge (only that mode needs that, ordinary full charge mode doesn't require them to be ON) ... I do it every time i use my Hanatora in storage mode for my MA1 batteries.

Reactions: Thomas B
Basically you are correct. To do a storage charge: power up the charger, long press the mode button until it turns from red (regular charge) to blue (storage charge), power up the battery and insert into one of the four slots, battery led light will start flashing to indicate charging as well as the display (charge voltage being applied and amps). Repeat battery power up and insertion for up to three more storage charges, charger will storage charge all four batteries simultaneously. Once storage charge level has been reached, the green light on the charger display will no longer flash and the charger will switch the battery off.

I scanned the User Manual to a PDF file -

Attachments

• Maivic Air 2 Multifuntion Battery Chrager.pdf
    544 KB · Views: 10
All of the reading I have done on batteries say you should store at about 50% (70%-30%) charge. I also drain them to this level for travel in an air plane in Lipo fire bags. TSA passes them no issues. Carry on board not in luggage.

Reactions: KJack91986
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu