DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arce101

Reactions
I recently had a crash but fell in water so probably no hard impact to the battery a guy said to toss the battery after a crash does anyone agree with that battery works just fine no cracks charges fine should I have sent that back to dji for repairs also tell me what you think?

Personally I would never use a battery after it has been submerged. If it was salt water then that's an even more definite NEVER. It's just not worth the risk of it failing in flight because of an issue that manifests itself later.

Reactions: BigAl07
Since the battery is a Single Failure Point I would not even remotely suggest risking a total loss of the aircraft by trying to salvage a single battery pack. It's just not worth the risk IMHO. Maybe keep it for software updates etc but not for flying at all.

But it’s not like it was submerged for an hour it was like 5 min and it still works fine I checked the status on the dji go 4 app voltage every thing normal

But it’s not like it was submerged for an hour it was like 5 min and it still works fine I checked the status on the dji go 4 app voltage every thing normal

It's completely your choice. You asked for advice and you've been given the same advice on multiple threads but you simply don't want to follow it. Electronics and water don't mix well even for a few minutes. If there is internal corrosion you won't know there's a problem until there is a failure. Once you have a failure your aircraft will cease to function and come crashing down due to ZERO REDUNDANCIES.

The choice is yours but it shouldn't be such a hard one to make.

You would think a smart battery would be smart enough to tell you if it’s failing

I think you have your answer, whether you like it or not. A battery’s not cheap, but it’s a heck of a lot less (money, hassle, misery, etc.) than your drone plummeting from the sky. Also— remember that the batteries can be used as USB power banks, so it’s still fine to charge your controller, phone, and such. I’d keep an eye on it while charging, though.

Reactions: Bobvt and Arce101
Highest probability failure mode I’d guess would be corrosion in the battery management system which could cause all sorts of problems including shorting the cells. These batteries are designed to discharge a lot of current which can lead to thermal runaway (i.e. fire).

I’ve seen the insides of a lot of electronics and even well designed battery packs can fail catastrophically if subjected to things outside of their design parameters— which taking a swim is, according to DJI. I haven’t seen inside these batteries, so, I don’t know, maybe the BMS is completely encapsulated in potting compound. It’s probably conformally coated, though, and I wouldn’t bet my house and loved ones’ lives on a conformal coating.

Dji asked me if it was damaged I said no so the said just send the drone if they didn’t have me send the battery it’s for a reason but I’ll ask tomorrow and Se what they say

Thread Closed!! For more discussion go back to the ORIGINAL thread at:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661