DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Questions

CaptainRisky

Reactions
I'm just trying to get my head around how to treat these batteries on my MPP. I've never had a battery update its firmware until today. I think that's what happened anyway.

I've got a fair understanding of LIPO's, and get good life out of my standard RC units with a good balance charger and good practices like charging at 1C (2C max at the field if I'm keen to keep flying), always balance charging and balanced storage charge at the end of the day.

How far down % wise are you guys taking these batteries? I got one down to 22% today, and the other 3 at around 30%. I was flying out 3-4kms (over private farmland with the neighbors full blessing and extreme interest) with the wind behind until 75%, then activating RTH which was then flying into the wind and chewing a bit more power.

I moved my critical setting from 10% to 15% for a bit more safety I guess, and left the low warning at 30%. I've always been told that 3.6v per cell is the absolute limit, and 3.75 is a lot better.

What happens when it hits the critical setting? Surely it doesn't just land? I'm assuming the lights and noises just get angrier?

Is there an aftermarket charger available with a display showing individual cells and a balance charge function for the MP/MPP. I've seen the blue ones with I think 3 leads, but I'd like a bit more than that.

My batteries are being charged to 4.29-4.3 per cell by the standard charger. Is that OK, seems a bit high? I've got battery details on my C1 button so I can flash them up just before take off, works well and shows individual cell voltage.

I'm just trying to get my head around how to treat these batteries on my MPP
I think a lot of people overthink DJI drone battery care -- or try to follow practices they've followed for non DJI batteries in the past. While most of those practices likely wouldn't harm DJI batteries, they probably aren't very helpful. These simple tips should help you keep your batteries for many years:

HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Mavic batteries

What happens when it hits the critical setting? Surely it doesn't just land?
Yes, it will land automatically. Per the MPP manual:

1660734884038.png

Reactions: CaptainRisky
I think a lot of people overthink DJI drone battery care -- or try to follow practices they've followed for non DJI batteries in the past. While most of those practices likely wouldn't harm DJI batteries, they probably aren't very helpful. These simple tips should help you keep your batteries for many years:

HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Mavic batteries

Yes, it will land automatically. Per the MPP manual:

View attachment 153416

Crap!

I'd better put that critical level back to 10%... That's what I get for over thinking it and second guessing the manufacturer.

Cheers for that info.

Surely it doesn't just land? I'm assuming the lights and noises just get angrier?
Some of this information will be visible in the manual but first hand experience can be worth the effort. Find an open field and run one of your batteries down far enough to see the anger level.

If you are concerned about battery charge level and you are far downwind using the auto RTH may not be the best decision. Upon initiation of RTH your drone may initiate a CLIMB to the preset altitude. You now are going to be flying into a faster headwind because you are higher. In a critical charge state and assuming VLOS reduce altitude and FLY the drone as low as you can. You don’t waste the climb energy and if things get tight put the camera down 90 degrees and pick your best landing option. Land where it is safe for the drone and with residual battery power for “Find my drone”

All good advice, thank you.

I'll stop overthinking this. It's not like I've had any problems, and 4kms out is just insane range compared to anything I've ever had.

I do wish however that I could set a proper storage charge on the charger. I'll work something out.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme