DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Recommended Storage Level Mavic 3

starduzt

Reactions
Whats the Storage Level of battery in Percentage(%) if we plan to store them for a Month(i.e)we wont fly for one month...

Simply say if we not gonna fly drone for a month or 2weeks...etc...
usually whats the Battery Recommended Storage Level for example like 75%???
what the best % to store for longer battery life...

Last edited:
@starduzt between 2 lights solid approx 50% to 3 lights solid 75%
anywhere in between those two points

so its like every Li-Po battery which we used in Mobiles phones/and other techs..etc.. am i right???
These are 'smart batteries' that automatically discharge if no use is detected: see below from a Drone Blog . . .

• The LED indicator displays the level of battery power.

• Like the rest of the family, the Mavic 3 Intelligent Flight Battery discharges automatically to 96% of the battery level when it has not been used for more than three days. This prevents swelling. After nine days of idle, it discharges to 60% of the capacity, all thanks to the included auto-discharge function. During this process, it could emit some heat, so don’t worry if you notice that it is a little warm.

• Due to Balanced Charging, the voltages that the battery receives are completely balanced, essential to avoid serious problems. Thanks, DJI!
  • In a similar way, the overcharge protection stops giving power to the battery once it has been fully charged.
  • The battery will only charge when its temperature is between 5° and 50° C (41° and 104° F)
  • In the abnormal event that the battery detected an excess of current, the Over-current protection would prevent it from continuing charging.
  • Over-Discharge protection prevents the battery from discharging in excess when in idle mode (this is not enabled when the battery is being used).
  • In the case of a short circuit, short circuit protection would stop the power supply from providing energy to the battery.
  • To avoid accidents, the DJI Fly app shows a message to warn us about any damaged cells in the LiPo battery.
  • The hibernation mode shuts off the battery after 20 minutes of inactivity. When the battery level is less than 5%, it will also enter hibernation mode to prevent the battery from being lower than 5% when idle for more than six hours.
  • All battery information, such as voltage, current, and capacity is transmitted to the aircraft and can be seen in the DJI Fly app.

each battery has its own BMS which communicates with the drone when its in use thats how you get the charge info on the screen device it also has overcharge/undercharge,protection ,and battery temperature protection to prevent the battery from extreme Heat /Cold the ideal voltage value for each cell pack is around 3.8 volts for storage ,the most damaging time for the battery cells we use in our drones is fully charged for long periods /and similarly below 3 volts per cell for long periods of time, but the BMS will take care of the battery if we forget to
on the latest drones, it automatically drops the cells down to 96% within 24 hours
and then will drain them down further after a set number of days has passed
the biggest killer of batteries are extreme heat/cold ,which cause issues with the cells ability to function correctly and when it comes to heat can actually cause the battery to self ignite
thats why you should never leave batteries in direct sunlight or inside a hot vehicle especially fully charged ones

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Ideal storage is based on voltage, not percentage, but as mentioned above that is usually between 40 and 60%.

The best thing to do do is buy a third party charger that has a storage-charge mode with a proper balanced charge for every individual cell within the battery. DJI unfortunately does not offer a charger that can either discharge, or charge for storage.

These are 'smart batteries' that automatically discharge if no use is detected: see below from a Drone Blog . . .
Automatic discharge is no excuse for torture lithium batteries:

Charging itself puts lithium chemistry under lots of stress/wear when done to 100%.
(80% as end point would be far healthier)
And then any time spent sitting at high charge/voltage means chemical reaction degrading cells.
With also limited charge cycles getting wasted every time when charging to high level only to discharge it.

I store mine with 1-2 bars. Leave a little juice in the there for the spark.

Then I charge it fully when I need to fly that day. I rotate with 3.

Charging itself puts lithium chemistry under lots of stress/wear when done to 100%.
(80% as end point would be far healthier)
So you are saying its better to charge these batteries to only 80% of their capacity? I have never heard that before. Let me do some research on this . . . thank you for the input.

I read store at 100% store too much heat.

Take the battery out after its done. Hotness is bad on battery.

Only charge on the day you want to use it, of course, not easy to predict.

Reactions: JeffreyS
So you are saying its better to charge these batteries to only 80% of their capacity? I have never heard that before. Let me do some research on this . . . thank you for the input.
If full endurance isn't needed it's better to avoid charging to 100% every time.
Besides the far higher higher wear from charge process, the more cell voltage goes above that ~3.8V the faster the chemical reaction degrading cell when stored at that charge.
(and really same for voltages going much below 3.8V causing different also harmfull chemical reaction)

In lithium chemisty charging to around 80% instead of 100% should roughly double the charge cycles/total capacity you can put in&get out per wear.

Those full charges to maxed voltage are how people kill their smartphone batteries prematurely.
Especially if it's left into charging for whole night, that's so bad Sony actually developed algorithm to do final 10% topping before morning instead of early night.

Amount of discharge is another factor with high percentage of capacity discharges wearing cell at faster space than say smaller discharges.
In short would be better to use two batteries from 80% to 40% than one battery from 100% to 20%.
And with Mavic 3's endurance should be easy to do that in hobby use.

Have followed that normally up to only ~80% charge and down to 40% practise with my 2018 bought Galaxy S8 and AccuBattery still estimates battery capacity to be 96% of nominal.
(previous phone started clearly losing endurance after 2-3 years)

@EsaT although from a technical viewpoint what you say does have some merit ,the problem with your methodology of the 80% cut off charge point ,is that a drone uses that charge in a totally different way to a phone ,and if the phone battery suddenly stops providing enough power and the phone shuts off ,then thats it,no one gets hurt or damaged because the phone shut down
drones on the other hand ,make constantly changing power demands on their batteries depending on conditions ,how the drone is being used ,and the amount of remaining charge the batteries have left ,and this is why DJI recommend that you should have a fully charged battery before you begin your flight ,this gives you the best chance of getting the drone back in one piece without it falling from the sky ,with regards to the lower 40% remaining charge ,i will aim as far as possible to have my drone back on the ground as near to that value as possible,so at least we agree on something

Batteries are made to actually be used. People who say don't charge more than 3.8....oh and don't discharge below 3.8 because you will shorten battery life. So, you can only fly your drone for a minute at a time to maximize battery life.....well yeah, but at the expense of actually using your drones full potential.

Given that the batteries auto return to storage, just keep your batteries out of the sun, let them cool down before you charge in all cases and make sure to at least partially charge them after you fly them to low voltage and you will get years from your batteries.

If you are overly cautious with your batteries and limit your usage of the drone, you may get an extra 5-10% over time, but you should not be a hostage to your batteries.

Last edited:
Batteries are made to actually be used. People who say don't charge more than 3.8....oh and don't discharge below 3.8 because you will shorten battery life. So, you can only fly your drone for a minute at a time to maximize battery life.....well yeah, but at the expense of actually using your drones full potential.

Given that the batteries auto return to storage, just keep your batteries out of the sun, let them cool down before you charge in all cases and make sure to at least partially charge them after you fly them to low voltage and you will get years from your batteries.

If you are overly cautious with your batteries and limit your usage of the drone, you may get an extra 5-10% over time, but you should not be a hostage to your batteries.
Amen! Those obsessing over their batteries have their priorities backwards! Drones are meant to be flown, not kept in a closet! DJI has already optimized their battery storage algorithms for optimal performance. Charge the batteries fully before use, and recharge them promptly after use. That's it!

Reactions: michaeldallen1
3.85V per cell or 65% for me is the magic number.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez