DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Storage immediately after flight(s) - Avoid Swelling?

What do you do with your used battery once it is done?

• Leave in drone til I can get back home to charge.

• Take out of drone and replace with another battery.

• Take out of drone and leave drone batteryless so that both drone and battery can cool down.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wasn't aware I'd bought 3 potential fire bombs instead of batteries.
I'm off to buy a full set of bomb disposal gear before I touch my batteries again

Some people go way over the top.
Fireproof bags and stuff are over kill.
How many people on here have seen a battery blow up.
Sure there will be one or two who have.
One or two more who say they have but really haven't.
And hundreds who quite simply haven't.
Every single thing to do with rechargeable batteries has been tried and tested to the max.
We all no that.
Fly your drone
Flatten the battery.
Take it out.
Put another one in.
Repeat

I'm off to buy a full set of bomb disposal gear before I touch my batteries again

How about you stand 6' away from a 9400 mAh 6S that vents and tell me that there's nothing to be careful about. The fireball is something I can still feel when I close my eyes and it got me out of RC cars for a long time.

People like you are the ones who spread terrible advice and information that gets people hurt. You should be ashamed of yourself.

That's how I feel about the subject also, but I wear a seat belt and 17.00 bucks, can't go wrong, can't break it.

People don't take caution until they experience these types of things themselves. I had a battery vent, and I'll be damned if I'm going to allow ignorance or hubris to hurt myself or anyone else again.

Reactions: Air_Deo
Are you suggesting the bag offers more safety than an ammo can, I read a post suggesting the Ammo can stop a exploding battery from burning the house down. I was not aware of a "lipo Bag" Thanks in advance.
I like the idea of the ammo case. Sealed, strong, no air (in case of fire), handy size and portable, all ready to go. For vehicle transport and home storage - ideal. And probably reasonably cheap, at a surplus store.

I haven't flown my MA2 yet but I would think the biggest issue with causing the battery to swell beside age would be flying in very hot conditions, or storing in a hot car too long, charging too soon after using. What I've seen in the manual tells me the batteries tend to self discharge to protect itself. Again I'm learning here myself.
How long do you wait for them to cool down before charging them?

How about you stand 6' away from a 9400 mAh 6S that vents and tell me that there's nothing to be careful about. The fireball is something I can still feel when I close my eyes and it got me out of RC cars for a long time.

People like you are the ones who spread terrible advice and information that gets people hurt. You should be ashamed of yourself.

People don't take caution until they experience these types of things themselves. I had a battery vent, and I'll be damned if I'm going to allow ignorance or hubris to hurt myself or anyone else again.
You've had a bad experience
I appreciate that.
But I've been using re chargeable batteries on virtually a weekly basis since they were invented.
Never have i had a issue with them.
Nor have I spoke to anyone who has.
Sure you will get a defective one from time to time but in all honesty I ask you how many times have you had a bad one.
Every item that has ever been made has a bad one
You get over redacted reviews on everything.
As far as the bad advice goes.
I'll gaurentee you more people do what I do than go to extremes protecting themselves as mentioned above

Does anyone have a recommendation for a storage bag? My MA2 isn’t here yet, so I don’t have battery dimensions to figure out what I should get. I have four total batteries on the way. Is something like this what I am looking for?

Attachments

• DA543176-73CA-4EFC-9CC0-4B013E4FC76A.jpeg
    DA543176-73CA-4EFC-9CC0-4B013E4FC76A.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 9
I like the idea of the ammo case. Sealed, strong, no air (in case of fire), handy size and portable, all ready to go. For vehicle transport and home storage - ideal. And probably reasonably cheap, at a surplus store.
I agree, Ive been using the ammo box for all my batterys for years. I store it away from everything and on a concrete floor

I agree, Ive been using the ammo box for all my batterys for years. I store it away from everything and on a concrete floor

This is what I do at home as well. I do take the step of keeping them in a battery bag inside them, but again, I've had a battery vent and it could have burned my place down. Never again am I cutting corners on safety. I absolutely love ammo crates, they just don't travel well with my car/gear configuration at the moment.

Being conscious of how we treat these devices is important. The last thing people need to hear on the news are stories the most affordable "prosumer" drone being released and people's houses burning down because they didn't put care into their batteries. Remember the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 fiasco?

There’s a lot of misleading information on LiPo batteries but it does pay to be cautious.

From new a LiPo battery has a very low internal resistance, which allows it to supply a high level of current but over time Lithium Oxide builds up on the (internal) battery terminals. This build up increases the internal resistance and that creates heat when charging and discharging. At the same time the Lithium Oxide releases Oxygen, which can cause swelling of the battery pack.

During manufacture the batteries are squeezed to eliminate as much air as possible while at the same time increasing battery efficiency. A poor battery often means a poor seal and air still in the casing.

Something important to note: DO NOT store LiPo batteries in a sealed container - oxygen being released is the oxidiser that will feed a fire of a faulty battery.

LiPo batteries should not be stored fully charged. At their full individual cell voltage of 4.2V the batteries degrade. The internal resistance of the battery is the cause of the battery ‘losing’ power over time while at the same time creating even more Lithium Oxide. That is the reason the batteries automatically discharge after a selectable number of days.

LiPo batteries should never be fully discharged, once each cell drops to 3.2V they rarely recover.

DJI’s ‘Intelligent’ batteries monitor each individual cell, ensures each charges to the correct voltage, monitors temperature and discharge rate and logs this data to the flight’s .txt file. Note also that the discharge rate is monitored. If an individual cell’s discharge rate is lower than the others then the other cells are discharging at a higher rate, will increase in temperature and can potentially exceed the cell’s designed discharge rate.

Beware of using non-LiPo battery chargers - they don’t provide the required charging needs of LiPo batteries. Likewise don’t use a fast charger - they reduce the battery lifespan and create additional heat while charging.

Each battery has a design life of approximately 150–250 cycles if maintained correctly.

For safe storage use a fireproof bag or metal box but not sealed.

Never leave a charging LiPo battery unattended, i.e, don’t leave the house empty with a battery charging.

LiPo batteries are very safe if used correctly and handled and stored safely. Remember LiPo batteries can, and must, be carried in the cabin on an aircraft. If they weren’t safe they would have been banned long ago.

If you have a swelling battery within warranty and under 250-cycles, DO NOT charge it - return it to DJI.

Not the person you replied to, but I did chime in earlier in this thread.

I highly recommend having a separate lipo bag. I've had a 9500 mAh 6S RC battery vent ("explode") and there's a scary amount of potential energy stored in them.

Batteries are generally very safe but you still need to be diligent about taking care of them. A lipo bag isn't expensive and provides a lot of safety value.
I had separate lipo bags for my batteries for my MA1, got them originally for travel purposes while bring my drone through airports ... haha but ended up using them all the time, even for everyday flights.

Now that I have the MA2 I'm thinking definitely getting them as well, just hoping that everything will fit in the flymore bag ... its a pretty tight fight already, and the bag is decent enough if I'm just carrying the drone for quick shoots. If its a day trip where I'm hiking and need to bring water bottle + snacks, then I'll need some kind of backpack.

Any specific lipo bags you can recommend and have bought for the MA2 batteries? Post the link please if so.

LiPo batteries should never be fully discharged, once each cell drops to 3.2V they rarely recover.

I learned about this with my MA1. Flew a shoot over a lake and didn't realize (at that time) how much remaining power was needed to get back to land with all the surrounding enivornmental factors such as wind speed and direction of it ... to make a long story short, I got the drone back to land but as it was winding down from 3% and below I was trying to find a suitable, accessible, and safe place to land in order to retrieve the drone since I was still a few meters away from the it despite being on land. Ended up exhausting that battery completely ... there is some juice/energy AFTER it hits 0% and shuts down. The drone wasn't high off the ground (2 or 3 meters) when this happened, as I was cognitive of potentially the drone falling from the sky and injuring anything below it. Retrieved the drone in a grassy lawn, wasn't damaged by the fall since it was not too high.

But yeah, that battery was a brick after that flight ... thought I would be able to charge it back up after that, but I wasn't. So its true that once it is fully discharged, that it will be rare to recover. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
How long do you wait for them to cool down before charging them?
Not the person that you replied to, but for me it could be anywhere from 10minutes to 1hr. Depends on how far I'm flying away from home. I haven't taken the charger with me at all on any of my shoots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter