DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Storage Level Best Method

EssexMavic

Reactions
Hi all,

I’m new to the M2P but not new to RC models as I’ve flown helis for a few years. I’ve always charged my Lipos with a Cellpro 6 charger which was great. I appreciate these DJI batteries are ‘intelligent’ but I would still like to manage them myself as I can’t afford to keep replacing puffy batteries. What is the best way to charge to storage levels? Do I charge until there is two solid lights on the battery? Or would I be best to buy the Hanatora charger which charges to storage mode? I don’t like the idea of having to charge to 100% then let the battery discharge itself.

Any advice gratefully received.

Nick

Charge to two solid lights if you will be storing for a while.

If I land with more than 15% I will just leave it until next charge. I keep an eye on them though, probably check after two weeks if they haven’t been chatged/flown.

I’m with you on not seeing the point in charging to 100% only to sit there for a couple of days before a slow self discharge. That is an unnecessary/wasted part cycle and some extra time at max terminal voltage.

Coming from many years with bare lipos I understand your position. I didn’t trust these smart packs to look after themselves either.

Reactions: maldonmavic
You can charge fully and let them discharge to correct level they look after themselves much better than older designs.
They seem to hold at an acceptable level for many weeks but it would be advisable to charge cycle at least every couple of months.
Cycling is generally better than letting them sit even at a good level IMO.
They have a finite number of charge cycles but very few will get near that in the life of the drone.
One of the worst things and easily done is to run one well down and forget to at least partly charge it to at least 50%

I have three and usually charge one at a time in sequence in case I suddenly want to use it there is usually battery full or only just starting to discharge would soon top up.
If I know I'm going out next day put them all on of course.

Reactions: Cirdan
What is the best way to charge to storage levels? Do I charge until there is two solid lights on the battery? Or would I be best to buy the Hanatora charger which charges to storage mode?
Check out this guide:
HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Mavic batteries

I don’t like the idea of having to charge to 100% then let the battery discharge itself.
If you insist, you can easily do so with this RCGEEK charger. You can toggle the button to switch between charging to 100% or 65% (for storage).

1609076068965.png

Reactions: maldonmavic
Only charge before I fly. Land at about 30% and store until plan to fly again. I don’t think it’s that complicated to maintain the batteries. My batterie are over 1.5 years old and they are still performing well.

Thanks for the great information, it’s a big shame DJI didn’t incorporate a storage option on the charging hub to help us manage our batteries easier.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun