DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Swelling Topic - Mavic 2

Mav1c

Reactions
I noticed a comment made by @sar104 on another post and it got me thinking about my swelling batteries last month.

High discharge rates and overheating causing the formation of metallic lithium and free oxygen. It shouldn't happen to new batteries running within spec, but older and/or thermally damaged batteries may succumb at lower discharge rates.
[/QUOTE]

I had all three of my original batteries start to swell on the same day last month. It was a high 80's low 90's evening. I brought one of my first fights back and noticed the battery not seated properly even though I was certain to check (it's part of my pre check). By the end of the night 3 of my 5 batteries had some form of bulging. Two of them I have not used again but one of them was not bad so I've just been keeping an eye on it. Needless to say it was an expensive night. The 3 batteries are the ones that shipped with the aircraft and the fly more kit. The ones that didn't swell are ones that I bought used from a guy who lost his drone. Could this have been the heat or the age of the batteries that caused this? I keep track of my cycles and each of the batteries were as follows at the end of the night:

Battery Stats 6/23/20
  1. 73 Cycles Normal 9.19.2018 CS9 - 93% Health (Swollen Slightly)
  2. 79 Cycles Normal 9.11.2018 AC7 - 92% Health (Swollen)
  3. 86 Cycles Normal 9.11.2018 AXK - 92% Health (Swollen)
  4. 29 Cycles Normal 8.16.2018 1C6 - 97% Health
  5. 20 Cycles Normal 8.16.2018 7VK - 98% Health

Referencing each flight with Air Data, I saw no irregularities on the flights with the swollen packs vs the non swollen and newer batteries. I was also surprised to find that all 3 batteries experienced swelling, however the still show over 90% health. For how expensive and "smart" these batteries are they should have some sort of an "battery expanding detected" feature on future models.

Just my experience so far.

I read about a "batch" of bad M2 batteries here on this forum. Fairly sure it happened before I got mine in Nov. of 19. I have 5 batteries - no issues. IIRC DJI was replacing swollen ones on a case by case basis. Try a search for details.

Reactions: Mav1c
I have been flying my MA2 every evening and where I live it is routinely near 100° when the sun goes down. So far none of my batteries experienced a problem. Although I’m concerned about the heat, it does not seem to of caused any issues.

Couple of other things to consider, which might lead to a DJI Mavic battery swelling.

Make sure you don't store a freshly used battery in a hot car, in a foam case or any other type of tight enclosure as they are hot coming off the drone and need to cool.

Make sure you don't store batteries in a case (foam where the battery fits tightly in the foam), as they will start a normal discharge depending on your settings and if in the case they can and will get warm. I have experienced this myself.

So far out of 11 Mavic Pro 2 batteries, I have only one with slight swelling, still can fit in drone, but I strap it. Battery shows no errors.

I fly about every other day, (nothing else much to do here) and it's hot in the mid 80's at dawn and easily 97 midday with 100 percent or close humidity. No issues so far, but the batteries are quite warm after a 22 minute flight for sure.

Paul C

Reactions: Mav1c
Couple of other things to consider, which might lead to a DJI Mavic battery swelling.

Make sure you don't store a freshly used battery in a hot car, in a foam case or any other type of tight enclosure as they are hot coming off the drone and need to cool.

Make sure you don't store batteries in a case (foam where the battery fits tightly in the foam), as they will start a normal discharge depending on your settings and if in the case they can and will get warm. I have experienced this myself.

So far out of 11 Mavic Pro 2 batteries, I have only one with slight swelling, still can fit in drone, but I strap it. Battery shows no errors.

I fly about every other day, (nothing else much to do here) and it's hot in the mid 80's at dawn and easily 97 midday with 100 percent or close humidity. No issues so far, but the batteries are quite warm after a 22 minute flight for sure.

Paul C
Good info. Are you just using a Velcro strap?

Reactions: naiku and Mav1c
I’ve bought batteries from dji and amazon 2 at a time. I thought buying them from dji would help if I was able to use there warranty (if the battery went bad). My battery went bad of course, I had 1 month left. But after the email tag time ran out trying to prove I bought more than the 2 batteries I got with the drone. Between batteries #5 and #6 was on 7/19. And #7 and #8 was 8/19 only one month apart. The last 2, #9 and #10 from 12/19 are still workin. I’ve ordered 2 more, the biggest problem now is the batteries are costing more then the drone almost, to be able to get it flying. They have the warranty figured out right about a average of 70 flights or just when the battery will go bad. Bricked or starts to swell Just as the warranty runs out.

Last edited:
Hey All, been reading the threads on the batteries swelling, I'm retiring my 2nd of 3 now from my 2017 Mavic Pro. I just bought an OEM replacement on eBay but wondering if anyone is using the Aotu aftermarket batteries?

Hey All, been reading the threads on the batteries swelling, I'm retiring my 2nd of 3 now from my 2017 Mavic Pro. I just bought an OEM replacement on eBay but wondering if anyone is using the Aotu aftermarket batteries?

Mavic Pro as in the original M1P ?
This thread is about the M2 but . . .

Unlike the M2P/Z, the M1P battery does have a recessed area on the battery back that can absorb some very minor swelling when needed.
Times like flying when ambient temperature is high, when flying sports mode hard, etc, perhaps even when charging, especially with any higher powered aftermarket charger . . . you can expect (or not be surprised with) a little swelling.

I have original M1P 3 flymore batteries, another bought not long afterwards, and 2 bought 12 - 18 months ago, all have no signs of swollen backs at any time.
If they started to, I would retire them as needed, and keep for doing home based updates of firmware (rare now), checking through settings and making adjustments at base, and sort of ground adjustments etc before / between flights.

Those aftermarket batteries are your only choice now, no M1P batts anywhere I can find (in the past 12 months or more).

I've seen the PwerExtra batteries, and read some threads on the forum about they are fine and work, not sure about ALL the battery smart features like DJI, would need to test levels etc to be sure once you buy one or more.

Edit, just noticed that is also 'currently unavailable' :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilboar
Mavic Pro as in the original M1P ?
This thread is about the M2 but . . .

Unlike the M2P/Z, the M1P battery does have a recessed area on the battery back that can absorb some very minor swelling when needed.
Times like flying when ambient temperature is high, when flying sports mode hard, etc, perhaps even when charging, especially with any higher powered aftermarket charger . . . you can expect (or not be surprised with) a little swelling.

I have original M1P 3 flymore batteries, another bought not long afterwards, and 2 bought 12 - 18 months ago, all have no signs of swollen backs at any time.
If they started to, I would retire them as needed, and keep for doing home based updates of firmware (rare now), checking through settings and making adjustments at base, and sort of ground adjustments etc before / between flights.

Those aftermarket batteries are your only choice now, no M1P batts anywhere I can find (in the past 12 months or more).

I've seen the PwerExtra batteries, and read some threads on the forum about they are fine and work, not sure about ALL the battery smart features like DJI, would need to test levels etc to be sure once you buy one or more.

Edit, just noticed that is also 'currently unavailable' :(

Thank you much. I didn’t realize I was on a MP2 forum or that the batteries were different. I haven’t flown it in a while and trying to get back up to speed.

I bought two of those after market batteries so I’ll keep you posted on how they work.

Thanks again.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I think you mean M2P, because when someone writes MP 2 batteries, we can't be sure what they mean... 2 batteries from a Mavic Pro or they are just getting the name wrong and mean a Mavic 2 Pro and have 2 batteries. It is a MP or a M2P but there is no such thin g as a MP2.

Just call it Mavic 2 batteries, as that means the Mavic 2 series which can include multiple aircraft to even enterprise series. But normally it is M2P or M2Z being discussed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929