DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery & transportation

The Kracka

Reactions
Thought I read somewhere it is advised to discharge the batteries to 30% when transporting. Assume this means for long distance or flight.

Going on vacation and it'll be a 12 hour drive, going to discharge the batteries but do you all think it is really necessary traveling by vehicle?

Last edited:
It would perhaps be better to word it as don't charge them too far in advance.
Providing they can be stored safely I have no concerns about carrying a charged battery in the car. Just don't put them in the boot and then dump a load of gear on top of them.
In long journey (several days) they may enter self discharge whilst in transit, if so they give off heat whilst discharging, that could create problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The Kracka
If traveling with your drone in a car and you plan on using it at stops along the way having it fully charged is not a problem. If you are packing it away and don't plan on using it for a few days I would say discharge and store.
I keep the batteries up front where I can keep an eye on them. The drone can stay in the trunk or where ever. Batteries can over heat if left in the hot sun so keep that in mind.

Thank you for the responses.

Edited my first post to reflect the correct information per the manual, it's actually 30% and not 50%, but does not specify what is meant by transporting.
1632695124465.png
Assume traveling by vehicle wouldn't be any different that heading out to a location to fly. If I was going through the mountains where there's a significant change in air pressure then perhaps I'd be more concerned.

Link where I read 50% for transit: Battery Care is More Important than You Think - DJI Guides

If traveling by a vehicle and you would be inclined to use it along the way ( and who wouldn't be ;) ), just charge before actually leaving so it will be ready to fly if you need to.
You would normally have it in the front, not the trunk, to get at it if you see something cool so you can get at it asap... just like any "normal" camera on a road trip.
The batteries will automatically go into discharge to a storage level after 9 days, a recent change to the Air2S (I think it used to be 4 days), so if going by plane, etc maybe take/pack them after they reach that point so they are already in that storage state?
Although the info you posted regarding 50% for transit is a good idea it is outdated now with the Smart Batteries.

I have taken many airplane flights with drones/batteries in the carry-on and have had up to 3 completely charged batteries and have had zero issues.
I have taken multi-day "land" trips by car and motorcycle, also with fully charged batteries, with zero issues. I have even charged them after a roadside use (after they cool-off, of course) using a car charger... in the tank bag on the bike or in the car as I continued the trip.
In other words, don't stress it!!

I think the 30% rule is for commercial transport carriers like FedEx, UPS, United Air, etc., and not for personal conveyance. Before you or the manufacturer ships the battery it much be discharged to 30% or less.

Thought I read somewhere it is advised to discharge the batteries to 30% when transporting. Assume this means for long distance or flight.

Going on vacation and it'll be a 12 hour drive, going to discharge the batteries but do you all think it is really necessary traveling by vehicle?
More specific to air travel where LiOn batteries may cause issues.

I'd hate to have a nearly dead battery on a "roadtrip" and not be ready to fly the drone when upon some cool things to drone.

I've never had issues in the car and even carry my battery charger to charge batteries in my car when flying and know I need more than 3 batteries to get the shots I want.

Just keep the batteries separated as much as possible (battery bags are good) and don't cover them if possible.

Not at all. I flew with mine recently from San Diego to Louisiana and TSA didn’t even check them. Just don’t leave them unattended in a hot car. They will swell

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf