DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery will not charge

Blue Falcon

Reactions
Hi guys, It's only been a couple of hours, from what I have read maybe battery not quite cool if that's relevant. OK I flew my drone last night and long story short the battery ran down to 0 % and the drone made the emergency landing and Thank God I managed to land it in a spot where it didn't take too long to find it, drone was not damaged it landed in some long grass but all is good. OK to my problem, since I haven't flown the drone in about a week I decided to charge all three batteries including the one that was 0%. The first two charged up no problem but the dead one doesn't appear to be charging due to the red light on the charger. Not sure if you have to wait a little while to get up to the first green light on battery, but I'm sure the charger should show the green light as it did with the other two. I've only had the drone a couple of months and fly it maybe once a week, so hardly any cycles on all the batteries. Can someone please tell me what's going on here and maybe how to fix it. I mean I'm probably not the only person to run out of power before I landed. I almost got back, the emergency landing was less than 300ft from me and as far as I can tell there is no physical damage at all.

@Blue Falcon firstly what model of drone do you have
you should not have left it for a week with such a low voltage ,this can cause the cells to become damaged , and then not take on a charge as the materials in the cells become compromised
it could also be that depending on which drone you have ,that the battery has gone into hibernation mode, if that is the case then try charging just the single battery on its own and see if it wakes up

One point, some of the DJI intelligent batteries have a 'chip' on their control boards that is switched to permanently open circuit if the battery voltage drops too low. This disconnects the main power input/output terminals from the battery cells and fancy equipment is needed to reset the chips controller. In the absence of that equipment the batery is toast.
I would be somewhat surprised if this could be triggered so quickly but it is something to remember if you have intelligent batteries. I have a Phantom 3 that came with such a battery and even when the cells are charged by a direct connection the battery is unusable.

I've had this happen to a regular Lipo battery that I over drained and let sit too long afterward. One day, I tried to perform a balance charge on this overdischarged battery, but it wouldn't charge. So, I took a duplicate battery and plugged it's balance cable into the charger's balance port and plugged the dead battery in the charging port. The battery began charging. Once I got the cells to about 3.5 volts each, I unplugged the duplicate battery, and switched to the over drained battery's balance cable. It then started charging on it's own.

Maybe, if shipping isn't cost prohibitive, you can ship your "ruined" battery to DJI for a fix. Heck, they may even replace it for you. Who knows. Notify tech support.

Far as I know over-discharging your DJI Smart battery will switch it into a hibernation mode. It should wake up if you plug it in, though it may take a while. Having let it sit for a week, however, may have killed it as the voltage will continue to drop even though it is "off".

It's dead, Jim.
You can't leave LiPo batteries (or really any Lithium based battery) at or near empty for more than a day or so and expect it to come back.
Live and learn.

It's dead, Jim.
You can't leave LiPo batteries (or really any Lithium based battery) at or near empty for more than a day or so and expect it to come back.
Live and learn.
Sorry I think I must have wrote my problem down wrong. I have the Mavic air 2 No.1- I fly the drone maybe once a week and when I'm finished I do charge the battery the same day for next time. No.2 - the battery had 60 or 70% charge last night when I started to fly, I think natural discharge from full charge from not flying it for a week, anyway No. 3 - I flew the drone battery to 0% and when I tried to charge it within an hour of flying , all I got was a red light on the charger not green

Far as I know over-discharging your DJI Smart battery will switch it into a hibernation mode. It should wake up if you plug it in, though it may take a while. Having let it sit for a week, however, may have killed it as the voltage will continue to drop even though it is "off".
Sorry I think I must have wrote my problem down wrong. I have the Mavic air 2 No.1- I fly the drone maybe once a week and when I'm finished I do charge the battery the same day for next time. No.2 - the battery had 60 or 70% charge last night when I started to fly, I think natural discharge from full charge from not flying it for a week, anyway No. 3 - I flew the drone battery to 0% and when I tried to charge it within an hour of flying , all I got was a red light on the charger not green
It's dead, Jim.
Live and learn.
It's dead, Jim.
Live and learn.

I've had this happen to a regular Lipo battery that I over drained and let sit too long afterward. One day, I tried to perform a balance charge on this overdischarged battery, but it wouldn't charge. So, I took a duplicate battery and plugged it's balance cable into the charger's balance port and plugged the dead battery in the charging port. The battery began charging. Once I got the cells to about 3.5 volts each, I unplugged the duplicate battery, and switched to the over drained battery's balance cable. It then started charging on it's own.

Maybe, if shipping isn't cost prohibitive, you can ship your "ruined" battery to DJI for a fix. Heck, they may even replace it for you. Who knows. Notify tech support.

The real problem is bolded (by me) above: you can't run LiPo's down anywhere near 0%.
For future reference, it also isn't a good idea to "charge the battery the same day" unless the next time you use it is the next day; in other words, Lithium batteries don't like to sit at 100% (especially if they are warm).
I think you have some duplicate posts to clean-up, but hope this helps.

Reactions: Barbara
I think I also misread your original post, apologies. Are you using a charging hub? I've read that if a battery won't start charging on the hub sometimes (red light) try plugging the battery directly into the plug coming off the adapter. (bypass the hub) Seems to work for some.

@Blue Falcon ,couple of things ,firstly ,its not a great idea to fly with a partial charge ,you should always top up the batteries to full before you intend to fly ,and from the sounds of your reply in post#11, it could have been that the battery was possibly still too hot, and this will prevent it from charging ,

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark