DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery

Peiper44

Reactions
Hi guys,
I have couple questions. Maybe you will be able to answer.
Do you advice to charge my batteries after a session with my MA, batteries are at 15%.
Or just wait for a day when I’m ready to fly my MA again?
I didn’t use my MA for 2 weeks and batteries dropped 50%. Didn’t realize and I had short time to fly my drone.
Thanx

Batteries will self discharge to 60% after 10 days if over 60% SOC.
It is recommended to store batteries when not being used between 40% and 60% SOC.

So if they are lower than 40%, either charge them up to 40-60%, or charge to 100% then run them down to store them.

Reactions: Thomas B
Batteries will self discharge to 60% after 10 days if over 60% SOC.
It is recommended to store batteries when not being used between 40% and 60% SOC.

So if they are lower than 40%, either charge them up to 40-60%, or charge to 100% then run them down to store them.
How do you know they're at 40% ? There should be a setting on the chargers to stop at 40% then.. They thought of everything else..

I agree there should be a "storage charge" function, but for the average consumer that would be too complicated I presume.
You can gauge it by the battery indicator lights as they charge, I can't remember what the status lights mean exactly but the manual has it.

I charge to 100% and run them down in the AC, either just having it "on" or hovering it in backyard/shed to run them down quicker.

Reactions: zenfly2
(Link below from DJI) I don't see anything here from DJI that gives any indication how to charge to 30-40-50% for storage. I have the 4 battery charging hub that tells what the battery volts are along the way but the DJI guide doesn't specify what voltage to stop at only % ... It would be nice if someone here knows the battery volts vs % and is it OK to pull the batteries as they reach the desired level mid charge ? Thanks for your time..

Last edited:
Top left corner on the controller shows the battery level.
New Firmware update for MAVIC 2 allows you to change the discharge to as low as 5 days. Don't know if AIR allows the change.

How do you know they're at 40% ? There should be a setting on the chargers to stop at 40% then.. They thought of everything else..
I watch the batteries and pull them off as soon as the third light starts flashing, which indicates roughly between 50-60% (3 solid indicating 75%). I nearly always land with around 25% and have figured out it takes 10-12 minutes to get to that point (it charges significantly more quickly below 80% or so) so I set a timer for 10 minutes and check then. It’s usually there or will be in the next minute or so. It’s a little more hassle than just sticking them all on there at once (but not that much as I usually do it while I’m downloading video from the SD card and reviewing clips while the charger is right beside me), but worth it for me to reach the right storage state. (This is only when they’re going into storage for longer than a day, so if I’m doing a lot of flying soon I just put them on the hub and let them go all the way).

Reactions: zenfly2
I keep my batteries charged with a ten day discharge time frame. Many times have found something time sensitive like how sunlight is coming off a building or very large flag, etc. If I wait an hour to charge, the opportunity is lost.

I watch the batteries and pull them off as soon as the third light starts flashing, which indicates roughly between 50-60% (3 solid indicating 75%). I nearly always land with around 25% and have figured out it takes 10-12 minutes to get to that point (it charges significantly more quickly below 80% or so) so I set a timer for 10 minutes and check then. It’s usually there or will be in the next minute or so. It’s a little more hassle than just sticking them all on there at once (but not that much as I usually do it while I’m downloading video from the SD card and reviewing clips while the charger is right beside me), but worth it for me to reach the right storage state. (This is only when they’re going into storage for longer than a day, so if I’m doing a lot of flying soon I just put them on the hub and let them go all the way).
Thank you.. We have a winner.

After flying, I also try to charge the batteries up to 60%~ if I'm not planning to fly that day.
What happens quite often is that by the time I look over at the battery, it's well over 60%...often 100%.

After flying, I also try to charge the batteries up to 60%~ if I'm not planning to fly that day.
What happens quite often is that by the time I look over at the battery, it's well over 60%...often 100%.
Same here. That’s why I started setting a timer to make sure I don’t miss it. But if I do, I have to go out any fly the battery down. Which isn’t terrible (or alternately belt use the USB adapter and charge a phone or something, but I’d rather use it on flying.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE