DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be brutal

Are you sure you watched the right video Pat? The intro of the video (first 20 seconds) was taken at a height of 5-10 metres. That is much lower than the average drone video.

Unless you mean to say “It is not an FPV drone video”? That is certainly true.
Apologies. You are right. Not sure what happened, but it was not your vid.
P.

I really liked the opening! Lots of good flying there and well edited.

For me, the main thing was the length. Plus it keeps jumping about with the themes. Surfers, something else, surfers, dolphins, something else, dolphins. Now all of these are totally pertinent as it's what the video is about but I'd be inclined to group the elements together, choosing the best shots and that would naturally shorten it a bit.

My personal thing about drone video's is that some places also look good from the ground level - that's why I liked the opening shot. I'd be inclined to include ground level footages. Plus if it's for the visiting tourist I'd think the odd discrete title of where places are would help them.
Thanks. The video does jump around and I’ll have to give some thought on how to improve that. Currently the video “jumps” when I switch to a new suburb/area, which is logical but only clear to Sydney locals, not tourists.

I totally agree that mixing ground level shots with drone shots makes for a MUCH more interesting video. Sadly I don’t own a great 4K video camera, so I’ll have to explore that idea more in the future.

Guys, I think the OP has left the forum since last year.
True and I haven’t been flying much recently either.

I’ve also learnt the hard way to ignore posts/responses relating to laws and regulations. Regardless of what side people fall on, those conversations achieve nothing, they often result in pointless arguments (and Trolling) and they bring the whole vibe for the forum down.

Can I please get some brutally honest feedback on my latest video? This video has done very poorly on YouTube compared to my prior videos, which are very similar.

I understand that YouTube views is a poor gauge of quality, but if there is something wrong (or less engaging) about this particular video, I’d love to understand that mistake so I don’t repeat it.

I haven't seen your other videos yet, so I don't know why, in comparison, this one isn't doing as well, but I see nothing really wrong with it. It's an amazing video. Like seriously great.

My only complaint, and it really is minor, is that you go back to some of the same subjects a few more times than I thought necessary. Like for example, you show surfers. And then a few shots later, more surfers from a slightly different angle. Then again later, surfers. I get it, people surf. But, then you'll have a shot going back to an earlier subject like the kayakers and now it's kayakers next to water breaking on rocks and I'm like ok THATS a cool, different shot.

So even though you repeated and I started to get a bit bored, a few seconds later something different and amazing popped up and I'm like, ok I'm interested again.

My one other critique is, I liked the lighthouse at night, was there anything else at night you could have shown? Or is that literally the only thing lit up at night? Otherwise some more night shots or maybe even a night hyperlapse would be great to include.

Other than those very minor points, the video is fantastic and I don't understand why it's not getting more traction.

Reactions: TerryToast
Can I please get some brutally honest feedback on my latest video? This video has done very poorly on YouTube compared to my prior videos, which are very similar.

I understand that YouTube views is a poor gauge of quality, but if there is something wrong (or less engaging) about this particular video, I’d love to understand that mistake so I don’t repeat it.

Much better I love MOST of it. Some super sharp some not as sharp A little long for most - About 3:10 in washed out for my taste Over all I would still give it 2 thumbs up that is for the Excellent footage in most of it!! Well Done.

I haven't seen your other videos yet, so I don't know why, in comparison, this one isn't doing as well, but I see nothing really wrong with it. It's an amazing video. Like seriously great.

My only complaint, and it really is minor, is that you go back to some of the same subjects a few more times than I thought necessary. Like for example, you show surfers. And then a few shots later, more surfers from a slightly different angle. Then again later, surfers. I get it, people surf. But, then you'll have a shot going back to an earlier subject like the kayakers and now it's kayakers next to water breaking on rocks and I'm like ok THATS a cool, different shot.

So even though you repeated and I started to get a bit bored, a few seconds later something different and amazing popped up and I'm like, ok I'm interested again.

My one other critique is, I liked the lighthouse at night, was there anything else at night you could have shown? Or is that literally the only thing lit up at night? Otherwise some more night shots or maybe even a night hyperlapse would be great to include.

Other than those very minor points, the video is fantastic and I don't understand why it's not getting more traction.
Thanks. I appreciate the lengthy response and your honest feedback.

That lighthouse is the only thing that I have ever filmed at night. It was relatively easy, as I knew the location well and hence I wasn’t too worried about hitting any trees, etc. Trees always worry me, but at night they are much worse as they are just black against a black sky and thus very hard to see. Not much fun for anyone who wants their drone to survive.

I was tempted to night film the local football stadium, from a safe distance (300 metres), when the lights were on. I did the daytime scout to locate the trees and nearby buildings, but I just never got around to filming it.

Your idea of a night hyperlapse is also top idea. I’ve seen a few of them on YouTube, showing buildings with lights on, plus with cars on a bridge wizzing by. Very cool effect. I wish I’d thought of it.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Much better I love MOST of it. Some super sharp some not as sharp A little long for most - About 3:10 in washed out for my taste Over all I would still give it 2 thumbs up that is for the Excellent footage in most of it!! Well Done.
Thanks Wild. I agree, filming the sunrise with the lighthouse in the foreground at 3:10 was just too tough for the Air 2S. The dynamic range wasn’t quite there and it washed out.

I did a twilight hyperlapse of cars over a large bridge here with my Air 2S and I think it turned out ok, exposure and colour wise. Perhaps the Mavic 3 or Air 3 would have been better, but I was pleased with my results.

I have done some night shooting with the Air 2S and indeed, it washes out any time I try to bring the exposure up a bit, and there's no chance of getting close to 100 ISO.

FWIW
A minute in Davinci may help

before-png.168397
after.png

Attachments

• Before.png
    Before.png
    880.6 KB · Views: 23
I did a twilight hyperlapse of cars over a large bridge here with my Air 2S and I think it turned out ok, exposure and colour wise. Perhaps the Mavic 3 or Air 3 would have been better, but I was pleased with my results.

I have done some night shooting with the Air 2S and indeed, it washes out any time I try to bring the exposure up a bit, and there's no chance of getting close to 100 ISO.
Did you post your twilight hyperlapse anywhere online? I’d be keen to have a look.

Very cool!!

Why only 10 seconds? It only looks like 1-2 mins of flying.
A couple of reasons. Most of the time, long clips are boring. You only need 3-6 seconds to show something. A really complicated shot can maybe go longer if it's interesting enough. But a 10 minute video of one long shot of a drone flight from start to finish (an extreme example, but one I see lots of) is beyond dull to watch.

So, by keeping the clips shorter you give the audience a hook so they keep watching to see what the next cool thing will be.

Second, hyperlapses are long and complex to shoot, and because they shoot 25 shots for every second of video, with each shot about 5 seconds apart (my normal settings), a 6 second hyperlapse takes 13 minutes to shoot, not including time taken setting up the drone and programming the waypoints. You are limited by battery life and the Air 2S has about 30 minutes of flying time on a battery. By the time you get in the air, scout and plan your shots, you only have time for one run at it before you'll want to bring the bird back. I usually start landing at around 35% battery.

Which of the two videos above is more interest? Take out the high production value of the first, and you have an objectively cool 2 or 3 minute video , all hyperlapses, showing an entire city. Each shot no more than 3 seconds long. Sadly, no aerial shots, but still an incredible piece of cinematography.

The second video was the most watched drone video of my town, until I did one. It's a long, 7 minute clip of a Mini 2 flying around and it doesn't even show you the best parts of the town.

Ignore the low production value, flat lighting, and silly music... which video is more interesting?

Which of the two videos above is more interest? Take out the high production value of the first, and you have an objectively cool 2 or 3 minute video , all hyperlapses, showing an entire city. Each shot no more than 3 seconds long. Sadly, no aerial shots, but still an incredible piece of cinematography.

The second video was the most watched drone video of my town, until I did one. It's a long, 7 minute clip of a Mini 2 flying around and it doesn't even show you the best parts of the town.

Ignore the low production value, flat lighting, and silly music... which video is more interesting?
I agree and I’m a strong believer that shorter clips are generally more interesting. When editing, I usually limit each of my clips to 8 seconds long.

That said, I’ve seen professional level 1-2 minute drone clips that are great and have some uses. For example, my Apple TV has a screen saver that uses long drone clips and they are just stunning. Short clips in that use would look weird/busy.

I agree and I’m a strong believer that shorter clips are generally more interesting. When editing, I usually limit each of my clips to 8 seconds long.

That said, I’ve seen professional level 1-2 minute drone clips that are great and have some uses. For example, my Apple TV has a screen saver that uses long drone clips and they are just stunning. Short clips in that use would look weird/busy.
Oh I agree, there's always a use for the longer shots and longer format for sure.

In those cases I think the shot itself is telling the story, following a winding road or river for example, revealing a mountain valley, watching skiers go down a long run etc would be great examples.

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji