DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be safe if you hand catch

I’m a seasoned veteran with drones and I’ve watched a few of your vids (subbed). I have been flying from boats for a long time and always hand catch when aboard. I find your vids including this update video on the subject very informative and well articulated. There’s always a small bit of info I find I can come away with that I didn’t previously know.

Cheers!
I was on my Bro's boat on Lake Lanier last summer and it was fairly smooth but was still a bit more of a challenge with the soft swells. Do you turn off your downward sensors and landing protection? That is what I would do next time.

I was on my Bro's boat on Lake Lanier last summer and it was fairly smooth but was still a bit more of a challenge with the soft swells. Do you turn off your downward sensors and landing protection? That is what I would do next time.

Yes. Just landing protection like number three in the video.

This is a bit like telling a biker (bike or MC) how to stop and not tip over.

Hand catch is easy if you learn with plenty of battery and don’t grab.

I think about my Mavic 2 as an animal that I can ask to do things, not as a machine I control. This animal has limited senses and is easily frightened. When you grab it, the animal only knows that it is suddenly moving down. Maybe because of wind? Maybe because of thinner air? Maybe - well who can know?!?! What do you do when you are unexpectedly losing altitude? Throttle up! When that hand cants the drone left, it knows it needs to pull hard to the right to stay correctly oriented. These behaviors are why Mavics perform so very well in wind.

I lower the Mavic until it is just about where I would want to put my hand and then auto land it with my hand extended under it. If it won’t land due to sensors, I choose force land. When it touches my hand, I support it until the props spin down. Then when not active I can put it away. It’s not tricky if you don’t grab and frighten it.

Landings in heavily wooded areas (where I live) are a different matter. I generally have to turn off the Mavic’s anti-crash sensors to get it to land where I want. If I don’t, it avoids trees and seems to not mind wires so much.

Reactions: JDawg
Hand catch is easy if you learn with plenty of battery and don’t grab.

I lower the Mavic until it is just about where I would want to put my hand and then auto land it with my hand extended under it. If it won’t land due to sensors, I choose force land. When it touches my hand, I support it until the props spin down. Then when not active I can put it away. It’s not tricky if you don’t grab and frighten it.
Good advice! I unfortunately learned this the hard way two days ago. Hamburger fingertip and broken prop....

Nice Job, Sean. You covered all the details well and showed the alternatives if you don't do something. I've been doing hand launches and hand catches with the palm up method almost exclusively for a couple years now - before anyone posted how to do it. Nice to see someone else explain it and demonstrate it the way I explained.

One correction though, you aren't turning off all the sensors when you turn off landing protection. In fact the downward sensors are still on with landing protection is turned off. If the downward sensors were off, then the Mavic wouldn't know when to turn off the motors.

Cheers!

Reactions: Nile Mcmillion
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929