DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Became more complicated than fun... Sold it!

Uh, American muscles have been destroying the Germans on road courses for years now. ZL1, Z06, ZR1 to name a few from the bow tie ... I have the last true ///M car, the e92 M3 and it doesn't hold a candle to my C7 Z06 in the corners or anywhere else.. lol [emoji23]
Nissan GTR :)

Dude comparing a corvette to a sports sedan is not a fair comparison... compare it to an Audi R8 or a Ferrari or a Porsche 911. Who won the last 24 hours of Le Mans? Porsche.

Porsche and Audi are always winning Le Mans.... mostly Audi which is owned by VW which owns Porsche... lol!!! Oh, and usually with oil burners, which is un-American even though I own a diesel Touareg as I say this.. head spinning yet? Cheers!!!!!

Porsche and Audi are always winning Le Mans.... mostly Audi which is owned by VW which owns Porsche... lol!!! Oh, and usually with oil burners, which is un-American even though I own a diesel Touareg as I say this.. head spinning yet? Cheers!!!!!

mm off topic i guess but i not long sold my Scooby and my Ninja bike :(((((((((((((((((((((

Boy i loved that Subaru, Not in GTR league but the only thing that ran close to me was a maxed out EVO

Reactions: EJay
I have a different experience than OP.

I don't fly Mavic with a phone or tablet, just controller. I love the simplicity of it. Nothing like my Inspire. Quick to charge, quick to set up, quick to pack, unpack, easy to travel with. I fly nearly every day when I get home.

The best product from the best company. Absolutely got my $1,300 worth.

I can understand the anxiety. If you read too many forum posts before flying it can have you in a state of total fear. Oddly enough if he had watched the iJustine:eek: mavic review he probably would have felt differently! I think she checked three settings after pulling it out of the box and then flew the drone.
I think any newbie watching it would feel that if she can do anybody can do it.

For experienced users it's another story, but it's great for building confidence.

Rob

Last edited:
Launching the Mavic is fast. The camera menus to achieve good video can be a pain, especially on small screen like a phone. Dial in the settings and you'll have a blast.

Launching the Mavic is fast. The camera menus to achieve good video can be a pain, especially on small screen like a phone. Dial in the settings and you'll have a blast.

I agree totally. The first time I took it up was the first time I had flown a drone that cost over $100. I was completely overwhelmed with trying to fly the craft and also manipulate the camera settings. After 2 minutes and a close call with a tree branch I just dumped all the other stuff and concentrated on flying the Mavic.

Rob

Reactions: MAVA4
I have a different experience than OP.

I don't fly Mavic with a phone or tablet, just controller. I love the simplicity of it. Nothing like my Inspire. Quick to charge, quick to set up, quick to pack, unpack, easy to travel with. I fly nearly every day when I get home.

The best product from the best company. Absolutely got my $1,300 worth.

Yes, sometimes when not filming, flying just with controller is best. Even if outside of visual range, there is RTH, or you can bring it home via dead reckoning by monitoring the distance as you play around with the heading of the Mavic when you can't see it.

Thanks for all your replies. Interesting that no one has had an insight for why my phone/tablet view was almost too dark to see (Post #18 on Page-1.)

Just so y'all don't think life gets too boring into your 70's... this is what I fly when not flying a quad:

Top%20Up%20-%20Left%20Front%20Sm._zpsbk3arjc8.jpg

There are plenty of hoods out there for so many devices, I'm sure you have seen some on this forum. Wasn't there one for your rig?

i just plugged in my sd card reader into my TV it is actually the first time i have ever seen the actual real footage from my mavic after 91 flights, (actually my tv is an older maybe 3 years smart 3d tv not even sure what resolution).

as my laptop can not handle playing even 1080 without problems i will now say that i am actually shocked at the quality of this thing.

i am no cameraman or photographer but i never really took the Mavic as a serious tool for filming but now i cant wait for my SD cards to come from Thailand (stupidly left them over there).

and now a friend who is a cameraman and photographer for a TV channel in Thailand who fly's drones (Phantoms for the tv company, again i never knew until i saw a drone footage in his news section and asked him who took it)

has offered to take me out with his camera and phantom watch them film and show me how he sets his up for filming .with an afternoon of camera lessons on my DSLR.

I love this Mavic thing it kind of just gets to you. This guy has even given me permission to use all of his pics etc on my new website.

flying is not the only great thing, the people you meet when flying is pretty cool part of it too

Reactions: MAVA4 and ed1nh0
I didn't see my footage on a real big screen also. Just a 1080p 32" to check things out.
Looking forward to upgrade my setup someday and be amazed like you did.

Reactions: Gary cato
Sorry to hear this wasn't for you. If you get sucked into all the settings this can become both intimidating and overwhelming but consider this.

At its core you just need to focus on -
GPS locking for return to home, the RTH Hight, and then using the two joysticks to fly it. The Mavic won't let you fly away and if you lose communications it will fly home.

Now if you want to get into all those settings it provides a wealth of flexibility and control.

Anyway glad you were able to sell it and move on.

Reactions: EJay
I can understand him.
Lot of issues and too many minutiae to deal with.
Calibrations, mid-air interferences, good settings for the cam, firmware upgrades, more NFZ everyday, increasingly tight laws and let's suppose he's NOT using an Android device... If you're rookie (like me) you can get into paranoia.
Sad but true.

You can choose to either make this stupid simple that a child could fly OR control absolutely every aspect of this drone. Thus the name Mavic "Pro"

I would say that if you feel overwhelmed. Put this drone down for a while, go buy a toy drone get comfortable with the toy, then go back when you really want to go the next level.

Reactions: MAVA4
I started with the sx5 Syma. It was $50 off of Amazon. That was my trainer and I didn't have any tension because if I lost 50 bucks it was no big deal. I then moved up to a $250 drone which was a Hubsan h501s. It had most of the bells and whistles of the big boys. After some nervousness over that one because of the price I decided to go both feet in the water. I think gradually working my way up helped but I will admit that I was very nervous for the few first days flying it. I have a suggestion for anyone who is new to the mavic. Don't try to learn all the cool tricks and tips right away. Just fly it. I got a screen cover so the sun doesn't shine on it. That helped a lot. I flew with the sun to my back which also helped. I'm learning Little Things at my leisure. That makes it Pleasant to fly instead of a pain in the butt. I still have some stuff to try out and I haven't even really messed with the camera yet so I can get perfect video. I just use Auto. So far I love it to death. If I lost it I would buy another one. God forbid. Perhaps try the hubsan 501. It will give you lots of the same cool options but basically you make sure the compass is right and fly it. With an antenna modification kit you can go 830 feet in the air and about 500 feet out. It's fun and it's fast. Hope you come back to the mavic someday with my suggestions. Don't try to learn everything at once just fly it and enjoy it.

Reactions: EJay and Gp™
You can choose to either make this stupid simple that a child could fly OR control absolutely every aspect of this drone. Thus the name Mavic "Pro"

I would say that if you feel overwhelmed. Put this drone down for a while, go buy a toy drone get comfortable with the toy, then go back when you really want to go the next level.
First things first, this thread is not mine. I guess you misunderstood the whole point.
Let me refresh your memory. The OP has started saying "Finally got tired of all the cryptic software/firmware and set-up options. Sold it! Glad to be rid of it!! Hope y'all have a more enjoyable time with your Mavics than I experienced."
And I just agreed with him, saying how hard it could be to handle all its settings if you're not comfortable with it. It's a matter of point of view. That's all.
With all do respect, I don't need a toy. I love my Mavic and I have had very pleasant flights with it ever since.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAVA4 and Gary cato
First things first, this thread is not mine. I guess you misunderstood the whole point.
Let me refresh your memory. The OP has started saying "Finally got tired of all the cryptic software/firmware and set-up options. Sold it! Glad to be rid of it!! Hope y'all have a more enjoyable time with your Mavics than I experienced."
And I just agreed with him, saying how hard it could be to handle all its settings if you're not comfortable with it. It's a matter of point of view. That's all.
With all do respect, I don't need a toy. I love my Mavic and I have had very pleasant flights with it ever since.

Great Ed and Yes I knew you were not the OP but read that you could agree with him. Yes we agree it's not a toy it's a very capable and sophisticated drone that is a blast to pilot. Cheers and here's to happy flying.

Reactions: ed1nh0

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure