DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Been flying for 5-6 years .... my first crash - for your entertainment

calgecko

Reactions
I've been flying for years, Phantom 3, Phantom 4, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro, FPV quads - this weekend was my first (non-FPV quad) crash, fortunately, all it broke was 3 of the 4 props and the landing gear bases... could have been way worse. I had my M2P in 'follow' mode as I was driving through a dried up river bed, and even though I looked around before taking off, I made the mistake of not looking far enough down the river bed - so I didn't see the telephone (or cable/power) lines overhead... luckily it didn't get hung up on the wire. For your entertainment - if you want to skip to the end for the drama - that's where the crash is.

I have always said if you fly long enough its not a matter of "if" but when"

Nice video (cept the crash ofc)

I've been flying for years, Phantom 3, Phantom 4, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 Pro, FPV quads - this weekend was my first (non-FPV quad) crash, fortunately, all it broke was 3 of the 4 props and the landing gear bases... could have been way worse. I had my M2P in 'follow' mode as I was driving through a dried up river bed, and even though I looked around before taking off, I made the mistake of not looking far enough down the river bed - so I didn't see the telephone (or cable/power) lines overhead... luckily it didn't get hung up on the wire. For your entertainment - if you want to skip to the end for the drama - that's where the crash is.

At least you had to go find some power lines. I have some in my backyard about 20 feet from my patio where I usually take off / land when flying from home. Always on the watch for them and tend to go above their height as fast as possible.

Flew over some falls off behind a dam / lake near me and the sensors picked the lines up even when I could not see them well (Air2) as they stretched across the falls. Was "very" bright out that day at about noon, so the glare off the water and such made seeing some thin power lines quite hard.

Yikes. I wonder if the side obstacle avoidance sensors on the M2Pro would have avoided those lines?
I saw a person's video that made it through some lines and his narration implied that it made it because of the sensors. I'm really interested in this topic. Maybe he was in sport mode?

This isn't the video I was talking about but it is illustrative of the issue.

Last edited:
I actually had a "tip over event" a couple days ago and broke an M600 Pro propeller. My first "crash" in years.

D

Well, it certainly does give another data point to the philosophy that automated flight modes can get you into trouble!

Now that would've been VERY impressive if it made it through those wires!

Aside from the crash, very nice video (I watched the whole thing though I rarely get beyond about a minute or so into drone videos before getting bored).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada