DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bee's and Seagulls

Don Terres

Reactions
I was doing a quick test flight today. Went up to 400 feet then down using home function. As it was landing I noticed at least 3 bee's that followed it down the last 30 feet or so. Anyone else observed this?

Also, I flew my magic around a very large flock of Seagulls this week. The video was cool, but one seagull did nick the Mavic. There was no harm to either. So the lesson is that the seagulls had a very hard time avoiding the drone.

Was flying again out in a pretty open area and as soon as I got up in the air several birds dropped to Mavic. I cranked in sports mode and rose up banking hard, they dropped and kept moving. I was trying to see what type of birds they were don't know if they were birds of prey. I was praying they didn't try to chase my Mavic. Think I'll get a pair of cheap binocs.

Last edited:
I was in Thailand taking a few shots, when all of sudden at least 50 birds were swarming the Mavic. I was scared to fly forward and hit one of them or in any direction for that matter. As they were closing in, I was maneuvering my Mavic downwards trying to avoid them. I landed safely, but that was scary.

Was flying again out in a pretty open area and as soon as I got up in the air several birds dropped to Mavic. I cranked in sports mode and rose up banking hard, the dropped and kept moving. I was trying to see what type of birds they were don't know if they were birds of prey. I was praying they didn't try to chase my Mavic. Think I'll get a pair of cheep binocs.

There. Fixed it for you.

Do you think adding colour marks like a yellow front would scare some birds away? I know this works for planes and bird shaped models used to scare away birds at airports. I heard that colour is more important over shape for a bird to see an RC model as a bird of prey.

Maybe one of these yellow gimbal hoods?

Seagulls and hawks are the biggest menace, plus gangs of pigeons on occasion too. This Mavic seems to attract them all for whatever reason. Orange stripes would work, apparently but must admit I've not tried it yet.
Happens to me a hell of a lot though, but Sport mode soon gets rid of them.

I had some bumblebees charge towards my Mavic during landing. One got nipped by a prop and bit the dust. The Mavic actually sounds like a swarm of bees. I guess I need to be careful that I don't attract painful attention.

Some birds are very territorial and would circle around you quad closer everytime.

My advice: dont dive, instead shoot up as if you are are predator they will spread out and then get away from the area. Respect their space as well dont challenge them or intentionally fly against them. If you fly downwards immediately they will keep attacking. Trust me, climb and fly fast

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661