DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Before posting, read the manual.

taryn

Reactions
I'm not having a go at anyone (it would make me a hypocrite), but I'm seeing so many posts of people crashing but not knowing why, asking what buttons / certain flight settings do, asking how to fly the Mavic...

....and the common theme is many newcomers simply not reading the manual. I cannot stress how much of a necessity this is. I'm not talking the quick start guide you get in the box, I'm talking about the manual that is available from the app and the DJI website. It explains so much, and is updated when a new firmware update is available (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not coming to the defence of DJI, I know there are many people experiencing hardware issues with their Mavic, but there are also many who simply don't take the time to simply read the instructions, which contain the do's-and-do-not's. If they had read the instructions for their drone, maybe it would still be flying.

I'm no expert, but please download the latest manual and have a good read. You'll not only learn the basics of the Mavic, but you'll actually benefit from it by realising the full potential of what it can achieve.

It won't happen. All forums are essentially the same. At least the five or six that I follow, and two that I mod. there are some that feel that they don't have to ask because they can just ask here. I always see that as selfish in that you're taking up somebody else's time. I am talking about basic questions. Certainly anyone who reads the manual, watches YouTube docs, and still brings up a question Is what forums are for, Not diluting the front page with seven threads that sometimes even the QuickStart guide explains.

Also, please search. It's mostly all been written before, A better way to search is use Google and search the [keyword] followed by Mavicpilots.com and it'll search better.

Also the much less tedious way to search something in the manual is get it on PDF from the DJI site. Then you can use a [keyword] to go directly to what you want to know , rather than paging through a lot of crap.

Also it goes without saying that Msinger has the patience of a saint for the 1000 times that he repeats stuff for newbies here.

Last edited:
I dont mind the repetitive newbie questions. What is not covered in the manual could fill another book and terms are often ambiguous and can cause confusion. The newbie posts are few and far between, and the most you have to do is point the person in the right direction by saying,

"Welcome to MP. There is already a link about this and you can find it here..."

I read the manual half a dozen times, watched every video I could on Youtube and looked at every forum post before I got an inch off the ground. You learn a lot while flying but still need the basics beforehand.

I dont mind the repetitive newbie questions. What is not covered in the manual could fill another book and terms are often ambiguous and can cause confusion. The newbie posts are few and far between, and the most you have to do is point the person in the right direction by saying,

If someone asks what the button on the side of the controller is for that slides up and down, then it's obvious beyond a doubt, they didn't bother to read the manual and started to fly uninformed. If some asks a question which is clearly confusion about something, and they give the impression that they at least tried to understand, that's a different story, and wouldn't mind repeating the same answer 1 million times.

Reactions: taryn and Squamer
I read the manual half a dozen times, watched every video I could on Youtube and looked at every forum post before I got an inch off the ground. You learn a lot while flying but still need the basics beforehand.

I did the same during the 3 month wait for mine to arrive post pre order!1 Someone post the manual as a sticky if it isnt already. I printed it out and put it in a 3 ring binder and read it for kicks during my first initial flights. Now after 14 hours and over 70 flights I feel confident enough to think I know what I am doing. I will admit though, I do not know everything as a lot of the features I simply don't use. active track, waypoints etc.

I did the same during the 3 month wait for mine to arrive post pre order!1 Someone post the manual as a sticky if it isnt already. I printed it out and put it in a 3 ring binder and read it for kicks during my first initial flights. Now after 14 hours and over 70 flights I feel confident enough to think I know what I am doing. I will admit though, I do not know everything as a lot of the features I simply don't use. active track, waypoints etc.
Be aware the manual gets updated when new firmware comes out. We are now at v1.4.

Reactions: taryn and Squamer
If someone asks what the button on the side of the controller is for that slides up and down, then it's obvious beyond a doubt, they didn't bother to read the manual and started to fly uninformed. If some asks a question which is clearly confusion about something, and they give the impression that they at least tried to understand, that's a different story, and wouldn't mind repeating the same answer 1 million times.

Exactly this.

It won't happen. All forums are essentially the same. At least the five or six that I follow, and two that I mod. there are some that feel that they don't have to ask because they can just ask here. I always see that as selfish in that you're taking up somebody else's time. I am talking about basic questions. Certainly anyone who reads the manual, watches YouTube docs, and still brings up a question Is what forums are for, Not diluting the front page with seven threads that sometimes even the QuickStart guide explains.

Also, please search. It's mostly all been written before, A better way to search is use Google and search the [keyword] followed by Mavicpilots.com and it'll search better.

Also the much less tedious way to search something in the manual is get it on PDF from the DJI site. Then you can use a [keyword] to go directly to what you want to know , rather than paging through a lot of crap.

Also it goes without saying that Msinger has the patience of a saint for the 1000 times that he repeats stuff for newbies here.

I agree with all the above; if you have done the common sense things (manual, google, YouTube vids etc) and still cannot find an answer, then absolutely ask away.

And another special mention to Msinger. Msinger helped me out a couple of times too when I was a bit of a rookie, so a massive shout out!

Post is certainly more correct than the title. However, it's kind of pointless. You are thinking ever new person is going to, for some reason, go back and read this post when they have not even read the manual?

You also have the ability to skip over and not read or reply to any post made.

You can also post in those threads, RTFM or even point the person to the place in the manual that gives the answer.

Perhaps someone did read the manual and did not understand the information at the time. Perhaps they forgot about that information as they did not understand what they were reading at the time. Perhaps they missed that possible answer, etc.

That is what this site if for.

Reactions: Gary cato
Post is certainly more correct than the title. However, it's kind of pointless. You are thinking ever new person is going to, for some reason, go back and read this post when they have not even read the manual?

You also have the ability to skip over and not read or reply to any post made.

You can also post in those threads, RTFM or even point the person to the place in the manual that gives the answer.

Perhaps someone did read the manual and did not understand the information at the time. Perhaps they forgot about that information as they did not understand what they were reading at the time. Perhaps they missed that possible answer, etc.

That is what this site if for.

I certainly wouldn't say it is pointless at all. Like I stated, there are many who post questions here, where the answer lies in the manual.

I also stated in other terms that by reading the manual, newcomers would most likely have more of an understanding of the Mavic; they would benefit from all the features available by reading up on said features.

I certainly wouldn't say it is pointless at all. Like I stated, there are many who post questions here, where the answer lies in the manual.

I'm not disputing that the manual may answer those questions but your stating someone, who has not bothered to read the manual, look up an old post on this forum before posting. On top of this.... it has always happened (despite posts) and will simply continue to happen.

I'm not disputing that the manual may answer those questions but your stating someone, who has not bothered to read the manual, look up an old post on this forum before posting. On top of this.... it has always happened (despite posts) and will simply continue to happen.

Actually I haven't stated anywhere that people should look up old posts prior (unless it's in the Google search they hopefully do), but now that you mention it, that's actually a good idea too.

I like to think that i would give everyone the same chance, sometimes it is pure excitement that makes people change into someone who does not think clearly,

i have seen many level headed people ask questions that in every day life they would actually do the work for the answers before asking anything. Why? just because in all the excitement to get going they dont think logically and sometimes just need a little direction.

As an ex (not very good climber) It is a bit like summit fever which gets to every climber some time.

In the excitement to get to that summit, (in this case launching off the ground and becoming a top gun photographer). Logic goes out the window as does common sense hence why lives on mountains are lost and Mavics are lost everywhere.

What is more annoying is when you answer their question, point them to the manual, politely ask them to read it, then see another post an hour later which clearly shows they did not bother.

^^Exactly! There are a few threads which take this exact same attitude towards newbie flyers, and the repetitive questions they ask here. After watching many of the noobs ask their questions, you (those of us with the experience to help them) realize that - while some may have read the manual, they still don't quite get how something works. Which is totally understandable. This is some cutting edge tech.

Discussion is what is needed - just like in a classroom. Noobs need to ask, and become involved in a discussion that fills in the gaps in their knowledge. The missing pieces (or gaps) in their knowledge will be unique to each person. So we must entertain the question they ask specific to their situation - even though we've seen it here a thousand times before. After all, these are the support forums. Right?

Last edited:
^^Exactly! There are a few threads here which take this exact same attitude towards newbie flyers,and the repetitive questions they ask here. After watching many of the noobs ask their questions, you (those of us with the experience to help them) realize that - while some may have read the manual, they still don't quite get how something works. Which is totally understandable. This is some cutting edge tech.

Discussion is what is needed - just like in a classroom. Noobs need to ask, and become involved in a discussion that fills in the gaps in their knowledge. The missing pieces (or gaps) in their knowledge will be unique to each person. So we must entertain the question they ask specific to their situation - even though we've seen it here a thousand times before. After all, these are the support forums. Right?

I agree. A newb might simply be seeking clarification of a point in the manual.

I actually enjoy reading and responding to newbies who might not have read the manual because they give me a reprieve from the more difficult questions posed on this forum.

There are many forums where you will get slapped down very quickly if you ask a basic question.
Oh try that on an Amateur Radio forum and you will get the heck slapped out of you.
The reason it does not happen on this forum along with some others is because the user group tolerates it for now, but I can certainly detect a building level of impatience with newbie questions over the last couple of weeks.

Before I got my Mavic I had watched over 100 YouTube videos and had scoured through a few hundred posts on the forum. When I got the Mavic in my hands I then went back and looked for certain posts to make sure I had all my settings correct. Almost every question you could ask has already been answered on this forum, you just have to search for it.

Rob

Last edited:
There are many forums where you will get slapped down very quickly if you ask a basic question.
Oh try that on an Amateur Radio forum and you will get the **** slapped out of you.
The reason it does not happen on this forum along with some others is because the user group tolerates it for now. I can certainly detect a building level of impatience with newbie questions over the last couple of weeks.

Rob

Phew... last couple weeks. I just got here, leaves me outta that loop. Wait..what?? Anyhow...
Can anyone tell me if there's a manual for the Mav around I could d'load? :rolleyes:

I've been through a load of VLOGs on the tube... not to mention the loads of information in here. Continuing to read and learn as much as possible before even clicking on the order button. Been doing this for weeks and weeks now. As green as I am, I can even already tell when/if a certain situation is leaning more towards pilot error then drone error. I tend to research the crap outta anything that peeks my interest. :)

Just know all the knowledge everyone does share with those of us newbs to impatient to research is very greatly appreciated by you OGs..:cool:

Reactions: Robbyg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c