DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner drone

caroline

Reactions
I am looking to buy a drone for my family to use it to film ourselves mountain biking etc. could you recommend a good first drone i am absolutely clueless and all the expert sites say different things and suggestions šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ™šŸ™can anyone help

Reactions: 4006448
I'm surprised you say that the sites all say different things because pretty much every drone site and YouTuber suggest a DJI Mini 4 Pro as the best first drone.

I agree with them, it's a superb drone and really good as a first one. If you don't want to spend quite that much then the DJI Mini 3 is still available and it's also an excellent drone.

I know it's a step to assume that you're in Chester in the UK, but if so, and if you don't already have an account with Very then it's worth setting one up to buy a drone because as a new customer, you can get 20% off which is a significant saving. You don't have to use their credit and can pay it all off in one go to avoid any interest.

Reactions: Mrktn
I'm surprised you say that the sites all say different things because pretty much every drone site and YouTuber suggest a DJI Mini 4 Pro as the best first drone.

I agree with them, it's a superb drone and really good as a first one. If you don't want to spend quite that much then the DJI Mini 3 is still available and it's also an excellent drone.

I know it's a step to assume that you're in Chester in the UK, but if so, and if you don't already have an account with Very then it's worth setting one up to buy a drone because as a new customer, you can get 20% off which is a significant saving. You don't have to use their credit and can pay it all off in one go to avoid any interest.
Exactly what I did to get my Mini 3 Pro and paid it off within the 12 months by it now pay later.

Not advocating getting into debt. Only a good deal if you can definately pay it back within the buy now pay later period.

Last edited:
I vote Mini 4 also! Its a new model and its a MINI SO You are open to fly in more places. As far as beginner drone..Any DJI camera Drone will have automatic stability while flying SO it's really a question on what amount of money you want to spend.

Hi Caroline, I'm new to drones too and got a DJI Mini2 SE, I've found it ideal as a starter drone, not too complicated to set up , easy to use and best of all cheap to buy but don't let the price fool you, thinking it's just a basic model, I assure you It's not ,the stuff you can do with it is incredible. There are lots of very seasoned drone users on here who are more than willing to help if you need it, and don't forget, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Here's a link to the one on Amazon ā‚¬289 or around Ā£250

Also sounds like obstacle avoidance would be necessary.
Without a response from the OP all we can do is guess. Besides OA comes with its own problems, does the mini 4 have sideways looking sensors ?

Realistically I would be inclined to suggest manual control and a second hand mini 2 rather than a brand new and expensive current model with OA.

Less cost for something that they, as yet, do not know if they will take to.

Reactions: Cafguy and 4006448
Without a response from the OP all we can do is guess. Besides OA comes with its own problems, does the mini 4 have sideways looking sensors ?
Yes, it has all round sensors.

Realistically I would be inclined to suggest manual control and a second hand mini 2 rather than a brand new and expensive current model with OA.
Won't be doing any object tracking with a Mini 2 which is why I suggested looking at the 3 rather than the more expensive 4.

I am looking to buy a drone for my family to use it to film ourselves mountain biking etc. could you recommend a good first drone i am absolutely clueless and all the expert sites say different things and suggestions šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ™šŸ™can anyone help
Have a look at post #1 today- Original Air for about $250 as a starter

I advise my students when they ask, buy the best one you can afford to lose/crash (or get bored with). For a first timer, no experience, I would try to find a used Mini 2.
I dont know the RID or other laws in England.

Depends on where and how fast you are going, if you want it to follow you. One of my nephews-in-law rides dirt bikes, and he says every DJI drone has a hard time tracking him, so he uses another make (Skydio, maybe?) that tracks a transmitter that he keeps in his pocket.

In Canada that would be illegal because he's watching the trail not his drone, but it's either legal in America or he doesn't care. Not certain what the rules are in Britain.

Drones are great for family photography. Tracking bikes is another story. You can forget long tracking shots. Itā€™s going to be a steep learning curve to pull that off if ever.
That being said, simple clips edited together are quite easy and can be done with almost any DJI drone.
Iā€™m sure there are many great used Air 2ā€™s out there. They are brutes and very easy to fly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock