DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner errors, that can should be avoided. Here is mine what is yours.

had lots of time on a cheap drone.

Thats good advice. I bought my son a tello with the intention of using it to get used to the sticks/ controls.
Especially flying it facing me so the controls are reversed.
I flew it so much around the house my cats are not even bothered by it anymore.

Yesterday I forgot my SD card... not so serious but a pain in the butt. I think a second SD card that remains in the drone case maybe.

Reactions: sdold and monchan
One very important thing to always do, and beginners probably rarely do is, always make sure that before you take off, the aircraft on the screen is pointing in the direction that it really is on the ground. If it's not, turn it off and back on, calibrate the compass, move away from metal or anything to get the screen orientation to match the real orientation.

So may lost drones, flyaways and bizarre control issues can be avoided by this simple preflight check.

My best advice to a beginner is to make a checklist based on the manual, then constantly read the forum and keep adding stuff in the checklist to prevent mistakes people often make.

Essential things in checklist would be to remove gimbal cover, check winds at the altitude you'll be flying, check that the battery is correctly placed and not in risk of falling off mid-flight, compass pointing in the right direction, status of the IMU, battery cells voltage, RTH is set to your needs (remember it will climb up to that altitude, even if it is under a tree), status light is blinking green (all this even before you start the motors.

After starting the motors don't takeoff, leave them running for a few seconds and listen if the motors sound normal and that there are no abnormal vibrations, after takeoff check that the home point has been correctly set then do a control test to see that every button and stick is working as it should.

"Know your drone and know yourself and in a hundred flights you shall not be imperil" Sun Tzu

I own a Mavic 2 Zoom. Some of my beginner's mistakes are related to the sensitivity of the sticks: not turning in time, not stopping the drone when I was supposed to so I took it in some corn field and f*cked up my first set of propellers. Then I mistook up with down so I hit a tree (a branch)... And so on.

First advice: Try to get used to the sensitivity of the controls as well as what they actually do.

I flew close to a part of a forest, on a cliff side, and attracted a few birds... actually more than a few. Hawks, by the looks of them. Circling the drone and not being very happy that my "bird" invaded their airspace. They got really close to my M2Z... I barely escaped a birdie gang bang.

Second advice: Watch out for wildlife/birds! Bird vs drone results in a sh*tstorm that will, most likely, cost you dearly.

I flew under some power wires, which messed up my controls a bit. More exactly, the drone started to change altitude on its own and almost hit the ground at some point.

Third advice: Stay away from anything that could disturb the connection between your RC and drone or... if you can't, be very careful around power wires especially and try to fly slowly or land as soon as you see any erratic behavior.

And most important: don't fly over people. I've read about too many people saying that their drone started to land on its own or lose altitude and not respond to controls. It's one of my most important rules to keep away from inhabited places. At least, as far as possible (cities, villages etc).

I have a lot of experience but there is one beginner error which occasionally comes back.

If you are taking video, don't forget to turn on the camera. Nothing is worse than a sensational flight in ideal conditions and nothing to remember it by.

My solution was to add 'turn on camera' to my post take-off checklist.

These are great post and lessons learned. I watch a ******** of videos about drones and that stuff. I tried taking off in close quarters and destroyed a prop. Make sure you have enough room to take off with some sway. Practice,practice, practice. There are lots of people that have already made the mistakes that you could make. Learn from them and save some money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Drgnfli
Practice practice and more practice....... preferably alone so you can totally concentrate

I have a lot of experience but there is one beginner error which occasionally comes back.

If you are taking video, don't forget to turn on the camera. Nothing is worse than a sensational flight in ideal conditions and nothing to remember it by.

My solution was to add 'turn on camera' to my post take-off checklist.

Did that on my second flight, rushed home fired up the pc. I had some footage but what I thought was great footage wasn't there.

This is great input. My check list has gotten longer. Thanks to you all, there are couple of tips I had forgotten about and some that are new to me. Much appreciated.
Thanks.

I got my drone in the afternoon but by the time the batteries where charged up and ready to go it was dark out.

I couldn’t wait so I took it out to the back and tried to fly it around my pool (with the cover on since it was winter) so the very first time trying the controls it was dark out. Now the other thing you need to know is I play Xbox with the joysticks inverted (up is stick down down is stick up) yes I know I’m a freak.

I felt confident knowing that the mavic has the avoidance sensors so I thought I couldn’t run into anything. Well I fly right into the retaining wall that comes right out of the pool and mavic would have fallin into the pool if the cover hadn’t been on, right in front of my whole family.

I later find out the avoidance sensors don’t work in the dark...

That last line - really good to know!

1. Find a big open field and practice! -Not a baseball diamond, but something with no obstacles like trees and wires...and people.
2. Flying sideways and backwards is your enemy! That's when you run into things. On your first couple of flights NOT in the cow pasture, take off and climb above anything that you can hit. When you're down low, that's the most likely time you'll hit something.
3. Sport mode should only be used when up high. Before landing, turn it off.
4. Don't fly at night. Not only is it against the law, but you won't have the normal visual clues to help.
5. A spotter is a good idea. Unfortunately in the real world, we tend to fly by ourselves.
6. Sensors will not see branches and power lines.
7. Remove the lens cover and gimbal lock. Find some way to remind yourself.
8. Take off with both the remote and drone battery fully charged.
9. Be careful of the advanced modes. "Follow me" can easily put your drone into a tree, especially when you go around a curve.
10. When landing, raise the camera lens to the horizontal position.
11. Always use a landing pad. If you don't have one, stop by your local Post Office and pick up a (free) large shipping box.
12. Avoid a crowd. Nothing good will come out of a mixture of drones and people.
13. Be aware of the local laws.
14. Register your drone with the FAA. The fines are draconian.
15. Do a preflight inspection. Make sure your battery is clicked into place and the propellers have no nicks or tears.
16. Don't fly in the rain or high wind.
17. Don't fly indoors. Expensive things like big screen TV's, chandeliers, children, spouses, can easily be damaged. Also, return to home or low battery will cause an uncontrolled ascents to 30', or whatever you've set the drone to. By the time you figure it out, the damage is done. I know of one drone pilot who damaged his drone because of that scenario.
18. Don't fly from any moving object. Again, bad things can and will happen. Also, it's against the law.
19. In your settings, allow your drone to be able to look 30° up. It'll save you one day.
20. Avoid "dramatic" shots. Your mind can create all kinds of cool shots that your abilities will foul up. -Like the beginning close up, flying backwards through an opening in a tree. -Great idea and very dramatic, but the tree will become one with your drone. Instead, start from a distance, then fly close to your subject. You can reverse the action in post.

That's enough for now.

1. Find a big open field and practice! -Not a baseball diamond, but something with no obstacles like trees and wires...and people.
2. Flying sideways and backwards is your enemy! That's when you run into things. On your first couple of flights NOT in the cow pasture, take off and climb above anything that you can hit. When you're down low, that's the most likely time you'll hit something.
3. Sport mode should only be used when up high. Before landing, turn it off.
4. Don't fly at night. Not only is it against the law, but you won't have the normal visual clues to help.
5. A spotter is a good idea. Unfortunately in the real world, we tend to fly by ourselves.
6. Sensors will not see branches and power lines.
7. Remove the lens cover and gimbal lock. Find some way to remind yourself.
8. Take off with both the remote and drone battery fully charged.
9. Be careful of the advanced modes. "Follow me" can easily put your drone into a tree, especially when you go around a curve.
10. When landing, raise the camera lens to the horizontal position.
11. Always use a landing pad. If you don't have one, stop by your local Post Office and pick up a (free) large shipping box.
12. Avoid a crowd. Nothing good will come out of a mixture of drones and people.
13. Be aware of the local laws.
14. Register your drone with the FAA. The fines are draconian.
15. Do a preflight inspection. Make sure your battery is clicked into place and the propellers have no nicks or tears.
16. Don't fly in the rain or high wind.
17. Don't fly indoors. Expensive things like big screen TV's, chandeliers, children, spouses, can easily be damaged. Also, return to home or low battery will cause an uncontrolled ascents to 30', or whatever you've set the drone to. By the time you figure it out, the damage is done. I know of one drone pilot who damaged his drone because of that scenario.
18. Don't fly from any moving object. Again, bad things can and will happen. Also, it's against the law.
19. In your settings, allow your drone to be able to look 30° up. It'll save you one day.
20. Avoid "dramatic" shots. Your mind can create all kinds of cool shots that your abilities will foul up. -Like the beginning close up, flying backwards through an opening in a tree. -Great idea and very dramatic, but the tree will become one with your drone. Instead, start from a distance, then fly close to your subject. You can reverse the action in post.

That's enough for now.
Good stuff, Nosebump

This took me awhile, but learn about all of the info that is available on the RC screen, so that loss of the phone/tablet display will be just an inconvenience instead of a cause for panic.

I was flying "dumb" drones for years, there was no any kind of automation, no altitude or position hold, no rth etc so I get used to always watch the drone in the air and I had to think constantly about my position and orientation and drone orientation so I can fly back, those habits are essential while flying dumb drones but they also caused me a lot of problems later when I begin flying with FPV, I was still watching the drone and that caused a lot of troubles in my head because I was still flying like its a dumb drone and not the FPV drone, I was still watching the drone in the air and comparing the position and orientatin with the FPV image from the drone, that really caused mess in my head.

When I bought mavic I realized that I should just watch the FPV picture with the flight data, and just periodically to take a look for the drone on the sky. Focusing on just FPV relaxed me and I felt like I am always able to figure correct position and orientation of the drone, there was no "mixed" signals any more. My advice is to focus on FPV when you fly, take a look athe the drone in the air just to be sure that you wont hit some cables or some other obstacle or to establish general visual orientation of the drone position. If you rely on just watching the drone in the air while you fly IMHO make flying much harder than flying with FPV.

Just my experience, good luck!

I was flying "dumb" drones for years, there was no any kind of automation, no altitude or position hold, no rth etc so I get used to always watch the drone in the air and I had to think constantly about my position and orientation and drone orientation so I can fly back, those habits are essential while flying dumb drones but they also caused me a lot of problems later when I begin flying with FPV, I was still watching the drone and that caused a lot of troubles in my head because I was still flying like its a dumb drone and not the FPV drone, I was still watching the drone in the air and comparing the position and orientatin with the FPV image from the drone, that really caused mess in my head.

When I bought mavic I realized that I should just watch the FPV picture with the flight data, and just periodically to take a look for the drone on the sky. Focusing on just FPV relaxed me and I felt like I am always able to figure correct position and orientation of the drone, there was no "mixed" signals any more. My advice is to focus on FPV when you fly, take a look athe the drone in the air just to be sure that you wont hit some cables or some other obstacle or to establish general visual orientation of the drone position. If you rely on just watching the drone in the air while you fly IMHO make flying much harder than flying with FPV.

Just my experience, good luck!

I agree with this line of thinking, Once you are airborne, you need to commit yourself to either the display or the drone. FPV is easier but you get less situational awareness, worse when wearing the goggles. I always like to have a spotter with me when Im flying.

Reactions: IgorD2
Hi all

First time poster!

Wonder if anyone could help?
I’ve a problem with my Mavic pro. ESC error appears while flying and sometimes before I fly it while on ground. When I check the status of the ESC, it shows 2No.ESC Error. Please what’s the problem.

Hi all

First time poster!

Wonder if anyone could help?
I’ve a problem with my Mavic pro. ESC error appears while flying and sometimes before I fly it while on ground. When I check the status of the ESC, it shows 2No.ESC Error. Please what’s the problem.
Welcome to the forums! You should post this in its own thread or use the search feature. Posting it like this is called hijacking and is definitely not the way to get the best help! Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54