DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Belize Drone authorization

jeffdav

Reactions
I recently got my drone authorization for Belize, and was a bit surprised with some of the restrictions... Apparently here even a Mavic Mini needs authorization to fly.

Drone operations are to be conducted between 6am and 6pm

Must not exceed 100 ft AGL[emoji51]

Other than that, it's pretty much the same as other countries: maintain VLOS, remain 100 ft away from all persons or vehicles not involved in the filming operation, etc...
The fee was $30 BZD and it's only valid for 6 months.

Reactions: Thomas B
Yeah, not sure how that'll go... I can pretty much live with the rest, but that one gets me. I had approval for awhile, but only recently had the time to pick up the actual authorization. I pretty much tried to keep it below 400', and also manned aircraft are quite rare in the area I live. Even though there is a small airstrip about 3 miles away...

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
Yeah, not sure how that'll go... I can pretty much live with the rest, but that one gets me. I had approval for awhile, but only recently had the time to pick up the actual authorization. I pretty much tried to keep it below 400', and also manned aircraft are quite rare in the area I live. Even though there is a small airstrip about 3 miles away...
Contact my brother in Belize City- his name is Paul Powton. Cant give an address but he's pretty well known. Does photography and also drone work - might be able to give you some information if you find him.

I recently got my drone authorization for Belize, and was a bit surprised with some of the restrictions... Apparently here even a Mavic Mini needs authorization to fly.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same as other countries: maintain VLOS, remain 100 ft away from all persons or vehicles not involved in the filming operation, etc...
Hello Jeff, did you get the Belize film commission authorization and a letter of intent from a local business owner as requested or did you find any other short cut ?

I had actually already brought my drone into the country, then I realized that technically I am supposed to have a license to have a drone here... They didn't ask anything about a drone when I came, but I have had a friend that they asked and they held it at the airport till he flew out... So if you do try to bring a drone, you most likely won't lose it if they find it at the airport...
Hello Jeff, did you get the Belize film commission authorization and a letter of intent from a local business owner as requested or did you find any other short cut ?

How long did Belize Film Commission get back to you after application?

+501-225-2052
+501-225-2014
I think it was one of these... These two numbers are on my drone papers.. Mr Dayne Vasquez is who I talked with...
Yes Dayne Vasquez at Civil Abiation is who I emailed my info to but he than said I need to file application through Belize Film Commission, get approved, than send approval along with other required info to Civil Aviation.

Yes Dayne Vasquez at Civil Abiation is who I emailed my info to but he than said I need to file application through Belize Film Commission, get approved, than send approval along with other required info to Civil Aviation.

It might have made a difference that I am a permanent Belizean resident, and also that I only applied for the recreational license.. I did have to send a photo of my Belizean social security card..

Reactions: raketemensch
Ah, it probably makes *all* of the difference that you are a permanent resident.

We're going to be down there in June for the second time, and will be spending a couple of weeks there trying to decide if we want to buy a house/land there for retirement, and I was *really* looking forward to flying, but it looks like it's not to be.

I had thought about trying to get an official license for filming our AirBnB, since I've done that a lot for other places we've rented, but it sounds like you can only get a license for commercial flights with "an approved local business/organization in Belize."

I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I'm betting it doesn't include AirBnB hosts...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi