DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Belize Drone authorization

jeffdav

Reactions
I recently got my drone authorization for Belize, and was a bit surprised with some of the restrictions... Apparently here even a Mavic Mini needs authorization to fly.

Drone operations are to be conducted between 6am and 6pm

Must not exceed 100 ft AGL[emoji51]

Other than that, it's pretty much the same as other countries: maintain VLOS, remain 100 ft away from all persons or vehicles not involved in the filming operation, etc...
The fee was $30 BZD and it's only valid for 6 months.

Reactions: Thomas B
Yeah, not sure how that'll go... I can pretty much live with the rest, but that one gets me. I had approval for awhile, but only recently had the time to pick up the actual authorization. I pretty much tried to keep it below 400', and also manned aircraft are quite rare in the area I live. Even though there is a small airstrip about 3 miles away...

Reactions: ResistanceFlyer
Yeah, not sure how that'll go... I can pretty much live with the rest, but that one gets me. I had approval for awhile, but only recently had the time to pick up the actual authorization. I pretty much tried to keep it below 400', and also manned aircraft are quite rare in the area I live. Even though there is a small airstrip about 3 miles away...
Contact my brother in Belize City- his name is Paul Powton. Cant give an address but he's pretty well known. Does photography and also drone work - might be able to give you some information if you find him.

I recently got my drone authorization for Belize, and was a bit surprised with some of the restrictions... Apparently here even a Mavic Mini needs authorization to fly.

Other than that, it's pretty much the same as other countries: maintain VLOS, remain 100 ft away from all persons or vehicles not involved in the filming operation, etc...
Hello Jeff, did you get the Belize film commission authorization and a letter of intent from a local business owner as requested or did you find any other short cut ?

I had actually already brought my drone into the country, then I realized that technically I am supposed to have a license to have a drone here... They didn't ask anything about a drone when I came, but I have had a friend that they asked and they held it at the airport till he flew out... So if you do try to bring a drone, you most likely won't lose it if they find it at the airport...
Hello Jeff, did you get the Belize film commission authorization and a letter of intent from a local business owner as requested or did you find any other short cut ?

How long did Belize Film Commission get back to you after application?

+501-225-2052
+501-225-2014
I think it was one of these... These two numbers are on my drone papers.. Mr Dayne Vasquez is who I talked with...
Yes Dayne Vasquez at Civil Abiation is who I emailed my info to but he than said I need to file application through Belize Film Commission, get approved, than send approval along with other required info to Civil Aviation.

Yes Dayne Vasquez at Civil Abiation is who I emailed my info to but he than said I need to file application through Belize Film Commission, get approved, than send approval along with other required info to Civil Aviation.

It might have made a difference that I am a permanent Belizean resident, and also that I only applied for the recreational license.. I did have to send a photo of my Belizean social security card..

Reactions: raketemensch
Ah, it probably makes *all* of the difference that you are a permanent resident.

We're going to be down there in June for the second time, and will be spending a couple of weeks there trying to decide if we want to buy a house/land there for retirement, and I was *really* looking forward to flying, but it looks like it's not to be.

I had thought about trying to get an official license for filming our AirBnB, since I've done that a lot for other places we've rented, but it sounds like you can only get a license for commercial flights with "an approved local business/organization in Belize."

I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I'm betting it doesn't include AirBnB hosts...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr