DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Camera: Mavic Classic 3 or Air 3?

nicshow

Reactions
My top priority is image quality for still photography. I’m torn between the MC3 and Air3. I understand that the Air3 has two cameras vs the 1 for the MC3. I understand the MC3 has variable aperture which appeals to me because I can stop down a bit to get to the lens sweet spot.

Is there anything that you can offer to sway me either way - image quality being the priority? For the advantages of the Air3 (updated transmission, controller, 2 lenses, etc) is there still a good reason to go with the MC3 because of image quality?

I’m not sure why the sentence above is outlined

Reactions: sarahb
I don't have the MC3 but I do have the Autel EVO Lite+ that has a variable aperture and find myself using the Air 3 primarily. The Air 3 produces amazing images.

Reactions: sarahb and nicshow
nicsho: Welcome to the forum! I agree with you, variable aperture is a valuable tool. I can't comment on the MC3 since I've never flown one. The additional telephoto lens on the Air3 is nice though. If image quality is your main focus I would think variable aperture would be more important. Also it kind of depends on what you plan to take pictures of.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicshow
Welcome! I only have the Air 3 and must say it produces amazing images. I agree with the statement above that it depends on what type of stills you are mainly interested in. I work for a realtor and most of my shots will be homes for sale. So, if you're wanting images to blur the background then a variable aperture would be a must (unless you do this in post)

Reactions: nicshow
My top priority is image quality for still photography. I’m torn between the MC3 and Air3. I understand that the Air3 has two cameras vs the 1 for the MC3. I understand the MC3 has variable aperture which appeals to me because I can stop down a bit to get to the lens sweet spot.

Is there anything that you can offer to sway me either way - image quality being the priority? For the advantages of the Air3 (updated transmission, controller, 2 lenses, etc) is there still a good reason to go with the MC3 because of image quality?

In theory:
Air3 has two 1/1.3" sensor cameras, M3C has one M43 which is much larger sensor. More than twice large. Purely based on sensor size, the M3C should produce better IQ and better dynamic range when taking photos. How big the difference is in real life is hard to quantify. The sweet spot for M3 camera lens is around f5. That could be a game changer for those who want to shoot in bad light but increasing ISO can compensate for that and noise can be cleaned in post very well with some of the apps on the market these days i.e. Topaz, DxO.
I'd suggest to get DNG files (from members in relevant forums?) from both drones, do your own processing and make your decission then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwicbrthou
if you're wanting images to blur the background then a variable aperture would be a must
Not sure how you work this.
The wideangle lens has so much Depth of Field at any aperture, that your background is always going to be in focus unless your subject is only a few feet away.

My top priority is image quality for still photography. I’m torn between the MC3 and Air3. .... I understand the MC3 has variable aperture which appeals to me because I can stop down a bit to get to the lens sweet spot.
The variable aperture is a handy feature, but the bigger sensor is more important in determining image quality.
The Mavic 3 main camera doesn't really have a "sweet spot".
It gives very good image quality at any aperture.

The variable aperture is a handy feature, but the bigger sensor is more important in determining image quality.
The Mavic 3 main camera doesn't really have a "sweet spot".
It gives very good image quality at any aperture.
Well, my experience is different. It might depend on an individual unit, as the IQ variation among these drones has been well documented. My M3P main 24mm camera definitely benefits from being stopped down. Wide open at f2.8 the corners and near edge sharpness are worse than at f5 or f5.6 which to me is the sweet spot for best uniform sharpness across the frame. Most wide angle lenses for DSLR cameras are the same, they do have a sweet spot for best uniform sharpness across the frame. In case of FF cameras it is usually between f8 to f11.

Last edited:
Not sure how you work this.
The wideangle lens has so much Depth of Field at any aperture, that your background is always going to be in focus unless your subject is only a few feet away.
Some people think they know it all, right. I assumed since a drone was basically a flying camera, it works the same way. I am able to blur the background with my camera by opening the aperture to full. Yes, 5 feet or less is best for this.

Reactions: Kiwicbrthou
Some people think they know it all, right. I assumed since a drone was basically a flying camera, it works the same way. I am able to blur the background with my camera by opening the aperture to full. Yes, 5 feet or less is best for this.
How often are you shooting a subject that's only 5 feet in front of the drone?
I'd think for most drone flyers, it would be almost never.
Any example you'd care to share?

I am almost 80 . .Got my first camera about 1951. Official City Photographer for St. Petersburg, Fl. from 1980 til I moved to Arizona in 2003. Always used Nikons and the good old Hasselblad C500 cameras. I bought the Mavic 3 Classic for 1 reason......the Hasselblad camera.

My thinking today is that since most of my images are only going to be viewed on a computer or online and not printed...and I use Topaz AI which can cover some degradation in IQ, I might be more tempted by the Air 3 as opposed to the Classic 3. Does my thinking make sense?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cam3n