DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best camera settings for mavic pro?

black_magic100

Reactions
I am currently watching the latest video made by ed ricker
and just curious as to whether or not people agree with these settings?

I will be in cancun and looking to film some cinematic shots. Also trying to figure out if 4k 30 fps or 4k 24 fps is better. Please help me make the most of this trip!

Reactions: volcomair
Also watched this video
and this guy makes -1 sharpness look kind of bad. I am so confused as to who to trust. Can anybody recommend good settings?

Reactions: Davey and volcomair
Just make sure your video editing software can handle either frame rate of resolution. Also, Unless you have a 4K TV or other need ...use 2k ..it downloads and processes a lot faster.

Reactions: Andrew F
I will be using adobe premier pro. How do I know if my computer can handle it for sure? I have an i5-4590, 8gb ram, AMD Radeon r9 380 I believe x model. Also I do have a 4k tv, but not a monitor to edit on.

Reactions: Dr Bob
I will be using adobe premier pro. How do I know if my computer can handle it for sure? I have an i5-4590, 8gb ram, AMD Radeon r9 380 I believe x model. Also I do have a 4k tv, but not a monitor to edit on.

Are you filming for yourself, for pleasure of reliving life's moments? If yes, don't worry about editing. Most computers these days can playback 4K just fine, you can connect it to TV with an HDMI cable and watch it. I have an i5 Surface Pro 4 and it plays 4K great (although the display resolution is close to 2.7K). 4K is still relatively new, in just a few years, any budget laptop will eat it for lunch. You'd regret later that you didn't shoot in 4K.

Reactions: FuzLogix and wytnyt
Are you filming for yourself, for pleasure of reliving life's moments? If yes, don't worry about editing. Most computers these days can playback 4K just fine, you can connect it to TV with an HDMI cable and watch it. I have an i5 Surface Pro 4 and it plays 4K great (although the display resolution is close to 2.7K). 4K is still relatively new, in just a few years, any budget laptop will eat it for lunch. You'd regret later that you didn't shoot in 4K.
yes but can the naked eye really distinguish the difference between 2.7 and 4k,especially old tired eyes

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
yes but can the naked eye really distinguish the difference between 2.7 and 4k,especially old tired eyes

I thought along the same lines when I was deciding between 1080p and 720p on GoPro years ago, now I regret not taking advantage of the highest resolution I had. Now, I always use the highest. "old tired eyes" - maybe 2.7 and 4 are nearly the same, even on big screen, but what about your children and grandchildren - will you be hiding your footage from them? :D

Reactions: amstar and FuzLogix
If you are determined to film in 4k I personally would film in 4k 30 over 24 as 24 frames per second usually yields sort of stuttering footage, a lot of people say they don't see it but I always see it, no matter how smooth you can fly, especially while panning. As far as using ND filters, if its really bright put on an ND 16 filter or even 32 if you have to squint because of brightness. Film in manual and keep the ISO at 100, if you are filming 30 fps then set your shutter speed to 60 (just double your frame rate.) Once you put the bird up check and see if your exposure is correct. If its too bright or too dark bring down the bird and change to the appropriate ND filter, ( you can adjust slightly with the right scroll wheel, however if you go below 60 on the shutter speed you will get to much motion blur) Eventually you will be able to get it right the first time. Unless you are planning on color correcting and grading I would shoot in Normal mode instead of D-log or any of the baked in presets such as film or beach. If you want to just do a small amount of color grading you can get really nice results filming in d-cinelike. Use +1-0-0 ( theres plenty of threads on DJI's noise compression below +1 sharpening) if you are new to premiere pro check out youtube tutorials from a guys called chin fat. very helpful and free.:) oh also leave the gimbal clamp on while putting on or taking off ND filters but don't forget to remove it before the flying! I am the one who sold OP this Mavic so I know it like the back of my hand, Have a blast on vacation man she is a real joy to fly!

OK you gonna have to up your RAM my friend - Adobe Premiere Pro is great but your RAM is waaaaay too low.

If you are determined to film in 4k I personally would film in 4k 30 over 24 as 24 frames per second usually yields sort of stuttering footage, a lot of people say they don't see it but I always see it, no matter how smooth you can fly, especially while panning. As far as using ND filters, if its really bright put on an ND 16 filter or even 32 if you have to squint because of brightness. Film in manual and keep the ISO at 100, if you are filming 30 fps then set your shutter speed to 60 (just double your frame rate.) Once you put the bird up check and see if your exposure is correct. If its too bright or too dark bring down the bird and change to the appropriate ND filter, ( you can adjust slightly with the right scroll wheel, however if you go below 60 on the shutter speed you will get to much motion blur) Eventually you will be able to get it right the first time. Unless you are planning on color correcting and grading I would shoot in Normal mode instead of D-log or any of the baked in presets such as film or beach. If you want to just do a small amount of color grading you can get really nice results filming in d-cinelike. Use +1-0-0 ( theres plenty of threads on DJI's noise compression below +1 sharpening) if you are new to premiere pro check out youtube tutorials from a guys called chin fat. very helpful and free.:) oh also leave the gimbal clamp on while putting on or taking off ND filters but don't forget to remove it before the flying! I am the one who sold OP this Mavic so I know it like the back of my hand, Have a blast on vacation man she is a real joy to fly!

Thanks for the tips Joshua. It's a lot to remember for somebody new to both flying and filming, but I learn fast so I expect this will be a successful trip. Everything you said makes complete sense and I am 100% saving this post as it makes things very clear. Thank you again sir!

OK you gonna have to up your RAM my friend - Adobe Premiere Pro is great but your RAM is waaaaay too low.
I have seen a lot of people say 16gb is overkill, but I don't doubt you. The computer was originally built for gaming so I am surprised that you are saying it will have trouble editting 4k. I guess time will tell and worse case scenario I will have to buy more overpriced RAM..... =[

Everything else looks fine though correct?

I'll be honest I really want to film in 4k as I am a tech geek and the thought of telling my friends and family that I filmed in 4k is just kind of...cool. I also do have a 4k TV so I will be able to enjoy its full potential even if most of my friends can't.

I thought along the same lines when I was deciding between 1080p and 720p on GoPro years ago, now I regret not taking advantage of the highest resolution I had. Now, I always use the highest. "old tired eyes" - maybe 2.7 and 4 are nearly the same, even on big screen, but what about your children and grandchildren - will you be hiding your footage from them? :D
That was part of my thought process as well. 4k is like future proofing videos to an extent and I would like to show my kids this trip in 10 or so years!

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Your computer will edit 4k just fine with premiere pro 2017 if you use proxy settings. Here’s a good video showing how simple it is. It will however take. A long time to render.

I have seen a lot of people say 16gb is overkill, but I don't doubt you. The computer was originally built for gaming so I am surprised that you are saying it will have trouble editting 4k. I guess time will tell and worse case scenario I will have to buy more overpriced RAM..... =[

Everything else looks fine though correct?
More ram the better when editing 4K although it depends on what kind of experience you can tolerate.

Biggest factor is your CPU, that's doing most of the encoding. GPU shares workload with certain effects like grading with lumetri.

Most posts online come from pros who want max quality preview at full frames and fastest export times.

With premiere you can set your preview to 1/4 and if your not in a rush put up with the slow render times.

Storage also plays a role at 4k resolution, ideally you want your files on an SSD, sata or prefereably nvme PCIe if you have the cash.

I use a 4k laptop, i7 6820HK, gtx 980m and 32GB ddr4.

I have 24GB ram allocated to premiere and when exporting 4k it normally uses all of it.

As for mavic settings, trust yourself after experimenting.
I don't believe all mavics are the same and what works for others certainly does not always work for me.

Shooting with sharpness -1 will definitely result in soft footage.
Try 0 and +1 and see what you think.

Everyone's taste is diffrrent, you need to experiment to find that sweet spot for you.

Last edited:
More ram the better when editing 4K although it depends on what kind of experience you can tolerate.

Biggest factor is your CPU, that's doing most of the encoding. GPU shares workload with certain effects like grading with lumetri.

Most posts online come from pros who want max quality preview at full frames and fastest export times.

With premiere you can set your preview to 1/4 and if your not in a rush put up with the slow render times.

Storage also plays a role at 4k resolution, ideally you want your files on an SSD, sata or prefereably nvme PCIe if you have the cash.

I use a 4k laptop, i7 6820HK, gtx 980m and 32GB ddr4.

I have 24GB ram allocated to premiere and when exporting 4k it normally uses all of it.

Yea I'm not trying to become a daily youtuber, but at the same time I'm not trying to be your basic point and shoot hobbyist. As long as I can edit and not be extremely frustrating because everything is very slow IDC about how long the video takes to render.

Your computer will edit 4k just fine with premiere pro 2017 if you use proxy settings. Here’s a good video showing how simple it is. It will however take. A long time to render.

So that is how you do offline editting? I looked up the minimum requirements and they are significantly lower for offline editting so that is the route I will probably have to go. Thank you.

Yea I'm not trying to become a daily youtuber, but at the same time I'm not trying to be your basic point and shoot hobbyist. As long as I can edit and not be extremely frustrating because everything is very slow IDC about how long the video takes to render.
You also said you want cinematic shots. Do you have some ND filters yet?
They allow you to slow down shutter and introduce some motion blur for a cinematic look.

You can add some motion blur in post but that would just be adding more processing requirements on your computer.

You also said you want cinematic shots. Do you have some ND filters yet?
They allow you to slow down shutter and introduce some motion blur for a cinematic look.

You can add some motion blur in post but that would just be adding more processing requirements on your computer.

I do have ND filters! On second thought though, I'm not sure I actually want cinematic shots. I was kind of inspired by this video
and will be doing a combination of shots from the mavic as well as a yi 4k+ action camera so perhaps I misunderstood the definition of "cinematic" shots? I guess these are more documentary/landscape shots?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada