DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Cell Phone for use in Sunshine

ifsteve

Reactions
Posted this in the Mavic section but might get more response in here.

I just got a Mavic Pro and plan to use my Nvidia Shield K1 tablet for the controller. However, my cell phone just died so need a new phone. Is there a good cell phone that anybody can recommend that you can actually use in the bright sun? No way I can fork out the cash for a Crystal Sky but since I need a new phone anyway thought I might as well check and see what y'all are using.

Reactions: mereflyer
My son has a I phone 10 and a buddy has a 7+ and both do fine

So looking at a Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+. According to this they have a really good brightness rating. But they don't show a test for the S9 just the S9+. I would prefer the S9 since its a bit smaller and I don't care about the extra camera. Anybody know if my assumption that the S9 would have the same screen brightness as the S9+ is accurate?

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

I have the S9 after using the s7 and dont notice much difference in brightness. I do use a matte screen protector to reduce the reflection and finger smudges but I think it also dims the display. I also used a sun hood for the S7 but could not find one as compact for the S9 so I had to modify the old sun hood and make it wider.

Reactions: mi8radire
Do a search on the Wunderphone here. That was a very low priced 5.9 inch I think, screen that was bright in sunshine. I used to use my iPhone 6 but changed to the "Wunderphone" and I have taken some screen shots of a number of devices so you can compare. Got my "Wunderphone" when it was on sale from $149 to just $49 at Wall Mart. But you can get them at about $65 I believe.

Here is my Ipad 2 and a Mini iPad and my iPhone 6 and the "Wunderphone" bottom left. All are at full screen brightness.

Attachments

• SCREEN COMPARISONS.JPG
    SCREEN COMPARISONS.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 43
No complaints w/ Samsung S8+ in terms of usability in sun light @ 100% sustained brightness - the NITS match or exceed the DJI CS785 (1k NITS) but the CS seems brighter likely because it's bigger - the S8+ runs cooler.

Reactions: ifsteve
Well I read a bunch of pages in the Wudnerphone thread. What I found was a lot of ideas on sunshades which tells me its not what I want. I have a dedicated table (K1) so only interested in a cell phone (since I need a new one anyway) that can be used most of the time without a sunshade. Perhaps thats not very practical. No big deal to use the K1 and the shade I have for it but for some travel it would be nice to not have to take all that stuff.

Guess I'll will focus on a new S8 or S9 phone

so why ask in the first place,go buy a crystal sky

I have a dedicated tablet that works fine, except I would like to not have to use a sunshade.
I don't want to fork out the big bucks for a CrystalSky when I need a new phone anyway.
So I was trying to determine if a new cell phone would be a possible solution. Sounds like a Samsung 8 or 9 would work at least a lot of the time.
Is that too hard for you to follow?

Reactions: Cymruflyer
buy the Wunderphone and dedicate to mavic,go buy a good phone for cell service.

buy the Wunderphone and dedicate to mavic,go buy a good phone for cell service.
That is an option but what concerns me, as I posted above, is that there were a ton of posts in that thread about using a sun shade. A wonderphone with a sunshade is no better than using the K1 I already have. And in fact according to the test specs the Samsung 8 and 9 both have better NITS rating than the Wunderphone.

Never used a sunshade with my iPhone 6 either but it sure as hell needed it many times in bright sun. In fact in the alps this past summer I could not even see the screen in the midday sun. Just because someone has never used a sunshade does not mean that the screen will not need one on certain days under certain light conditions. Just as when people suggest a phone or say their XXX works great. Do not leave it there... ask them ...Compared to what? Because too many times others take an answer from someone with out even thinking any further of what they are saying. To say that my XXX phone works great and to rely on that alone as a recommendation to buy it is rather foolish, because if you ask me, compared to what, I may well say back to you, ummm compared to nothing, this is the first phone I ever used to fly with, but to me it is great. To other more experienced users, that phone might actually be crap, since they have tried other models and can therefore make an educated and experienced reply to such a question.

Use that as a rule when asking about anything. when you hear that something being used is great, ask them, compared to what, in order to better understand if they are truly speaking from experience to help you out or whether that is their first of what ever it is. There is a big difference, unless of course, you have the specs on that device, as you had on those other phone with more nits. The question is though, at what cost are those other phones compared to the Wunderphone and what is an acceptable brightness for you. Those asking about sunshades might just want an even better experience than the one above who said he has never used a sunshade with the Wunderphone, you just need to ask more question before it is possible to make an informed decision.

just go read the thread on Wunderphone,must be a couple hundred replies on there

just go read the thread on Wunderphone,must be a couple hundred replies on there

There are 108 PAGES in that thread. I ordered a Samsung Galaxy S9+. It has more that twice the NITS rating of the Wunderphone and is by the reviews I read an excellent phone.

So no Wunderphone for me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde