DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Cell Phone

astrohound24

Reactions
I am new here and this probably changes as phones are released. I am looking for the best cell phone to use with my Mavic Mini. I have a Samsung S7 presently that is getting older and I am ready for a new phone. Just thought I would see what the consensus is on that subject. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

Greg

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Are you looking for a phone with a display bright enough under the sun at high noon? Me too! But I'm looking at mid range phones, not the flagships, so it's kinda hard to find. Flagships have the best displays.
I wonder how many lux is bright enough under strong sun at high noon?

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
1000 nits . . . I'm not sure which phones can meet this output. iPhone X and above I believe are 1000 nits (definitely XI). The Smart Controller and the Crystal Sky monitors are between 1000 and 1100 nits.

Are you looking for a phone with a display bright enough under the sun at high noon? Me too! But I'm looking at mid range phones, not the flagships, so it's kinda hard to find. Flagships have the best displays.

You could get away with 1000 nits at noon, but it's just easier to use a hood or shade
Sometimes even with a bright phone there is glare of the glass

For seamless compatibility I'd only look at Iphones and Ipads. IOS is more stable, consistent and locked down.
A lot of phone manufacturers customise Android which can lead to compatibility issues with the DJI flight software

Last edited:
You could get away with 1000 nits at noon, but it's just easier to use a hood or shade
Sometimes even with a bright phone there is glare of the glass

For seamless compatibility I'd only look at Iphones and Ipads. IOS is more stable, consistent and locked down.
A lot of phone manufacturers customise Android which can lead to compatibility issues with the DJI flight software

This is exactly what I was curious about because I have been considering returning to IOS platform. My S7 is glitchy so far with every drone software I have hooked up with. Hearing that IOS is more seamless and stable makes me lean that direction. Thanks!

This is exactly what I was curious about because I have been considering returning to IOS platform. My S7 is glitchy so far with every drone software I have hooked up with. Hearing that IOS is more seamless and stable makes me lean that direction. Thanks!

I've used an Ipad Mini 4 to fly my drones and in 4 years using DJI Go 4 and DJI Fly it has never crashed, glitched, lagged or lost contact due to the device
You just need to make sure the Apple device has the right performance specs

I was happy with my iphone 11 pro. Then I switched to the smart controller which is slightly brighter but the processing power is too weak. The start up of the app is slow and the video feed is jerky. I am actively considering switching back to the iphone.

Jerky video feed :

I agree with all of the above. It is not only about brightness, you need to take into account the reflectivity of the screen. Something I learned is the called the effective contrast ratio. It is simply the brightness minus the reflectivity of the surface of the screen. One way to check this is to look at the phone screen at an angle when it is off to see how much it reflects the ambient light. All screens will reflect, just try to find the one that keeps it to a minimum. A matte finish screen protector can help as long as it doesn’t cut the brightness too much.

I have an S10 plus. It works great with this and looks awesome (my chipset is fine). I need a new tablet though and would like one to use with this application as well.

Pains me but i am going IOS. It seems there is too much BS with android and DJI. Some tablets work others dont. Some android phones work others dont. Now the new android on the S10 makes Samsungs flagship phone incompatible with DJI.

Problem is DJI doesnt give a crap about that.

I could still load DJI fly on an old origional IPAD air. My Nvidia that has better specs nope.

I know your looking for a phone but all of it is the same. They really only support IOS consistantly.

I have an S10 plus. It works great with this and looks awesome (my chipset is fine). I need a new tablet though and would like one to use with this application as well.

Pains me but i am going IOS. It seems there is too much BS with android and DJI. Some tablets work others dont. Some android phones work others dont. Now the new android on the S10 makes Samsungs flagship phone incompatible with DJI.

Problem is DJI doesnt give a crap about that.

I could still load DJI fly on an old origional IPAD air. My Nvidia that has better specs nope.

I know your looking for a phone but all of it is the same. They really only support IOS consistantly.

Further proof is that new updates to DJI Go 4 from DJI always come out on IOS first, on IOS it has been version 4.3.29 since November 2019 but android is still 4.3.28

• Haha
Reactions: thermalflyer
I use a Note 8, you can find them discounted from time to time. The nit is an incredible 1200, very bright. VisibIe in full sun. It meets specs and I found the phone to be stable and consistent with my MM and MA and it will fit in the controller, although I prefer a MavMount. Recently I bought my first iPad 10.2, not as bright but larger screen, I added a matte screen protector and mount it on a tripod. Now I have options. Wish you well on your phone search. Enjoy your flying.

I've used an Ipad Mini 4 to fly my drones and in 4 years using DJI Go 4 and DJI Fly it has never crashed, glitched, lagged or lost contact due to the device
You just need to make sure the Apple device has the right performance specs
Does your mini have cell or is it just wifi.

Does your mini have cell or is it just wifi.

I have started thinking about an ipad since you guys seem to use them. If I could find an older one or refurbished for maybe cheaper? Got lots of decisions to make. I appreciate all the information you guys have given. Thanks.

GM

I use a Note 8, you can find them discounted from time to time. The nit is an incredible 1200, very bright. VisibIe in full sun. It meets specs and I found the phone to be stable and consistent with my MM and MA and it will fit in the controller, although I prefer a MavMount. Recently I bought my first iPad 10.2, not as bright but larger screen, I added a matte screen protector and mount it on a tripod. Now I have options. Wish you well on your phone search. Enjoy your flying.

Looks like Note 8 is an option also. Thanks for the info!

Greg M

Further proof is that new updates to DJI Go 4 from DJI always come out on IOS first, on IOS it has been version 4.3.29 since November 2019 but android is still 4.3.28
That’s assuming that the update is a new feature. It may not be. It may be a bug fix for iOS that wasn’t needed on Android.

(I’m a beta tester for a cellular trail camera app in both Android and iOS versions, and the version numbers don’t always track and the new versions aren’t always released at the same time, but sometimes it’s all about bug fixes rather than features.)

I found a inexpensive tablet that will work on the minni.
Dragon Touch 7 inch Tablet, Android 9.0 Pie, Quad-Core Processor, 2GB RAM 16GB Storage, 7 inch IPS HD Display, Dual Camera, Wi-Fi Only, Black

it downloaded the app and connected . I will fly it tomorrow to confirm. You will need to order a longer cable

I have started thinking about an ipad since you guys seem to use them. If I could find an older one or refurbished for maybe cheaper? Got lots of decisions to make. I appreciate all the information you guys have given. Thanks.

GM
I am looking at them as well. You need to be careful how old you go from what i have seen. Also the cell versions have gps while the wifi does not.

Here is a guide to iPad specs you my find helpful. iPad Specs BTW: My iPad 10.2 is the 7th generation (latest) and I can confirm that it works well for the MA and MM. It is not cellular, therefore no GPS.
Wish you well in your research an decision. Enjoy your flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dcjz