DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best comprehensive map for Mavic Pro?

Valon

Reactions
Good afternoon all, hope you’re all doing well,

TL;DR - UK Mavic Pro user, struggling to find any land I can legally fly in, looking for help from others!

I come to you today slightly disgruntled at the current state of maps and regulations regarding Drone usage in the United Kingdom.

I’m sure we all agree that we need to respect these regulations, and set a good example for fellow drone users and potential buyers, however I’ve yet to come across any map that actually seems to agree with other sources.

Ideally, we’d have a definitive map (perhaps from DJI themselves) which we’d simply have to refer to, however instead we have 5+ maps claiming to be the best, yet telling you to refer to other sources also.

For example, no maps say Derby is a no flight zone, yet another post states “all parks and open areas” are no-flight zones. Can’t use most fields as it’s private land, yet can’t take off at my own home since it’s congested.

No National Trust lands, no royal parks, nothing, for a country with some outstanding countryside views, it’s almost impossible to take advantage of it.

Understandably, it’s quite annoying, I’ve had this Mavic since June 2017 yet I’ve had a total of about 27 minutes of flight time.

Regardless, rant over, hopefully someone might be able to shine a light on this and help a fellow user out so I can get out there and get some amazing shots!

Much appreciated, everyone :)

I use the NAT app to define where I can and cannot fly legally, that is the official government app and if I were hassled I would use that in my defence.
Because like you I have found conflicting information otherwise.

So unless the DJI app stops my flight/indicates I must not fly I take its indications with a grain of salt or as precaution as I have observed it is not the most accurate when comes to such things.

Don't confuse national trust rules as if they are law or any other organization (to my knowledge), generally they can stop you taking off or landing on their land but they have no authority over your flying over it.
Now that doesn't mean you should nor should you seek undue conflict, but do not confuse privacy concern with "no fly zone" which generally is a overused term, often it is controlled airspace.

Take for example my home town local park, they have specifically stated on their rules at the entrance no drones. can't blame them, far too nice a park and not right for flying, too crowded. I would never try to take off from there. But that does not stop me taking off outside and flying over. I don't do it but I can and if I did do it I would do it as such height most people wouldn't hear or notice.
It is about using your head.

At the end of the day act as safely as you can, don't make a nuisance of yourself and cause undue alarm, if someone official asks you to leave do so.
Plead innocence and ignorance and use the NAT app to say "this is not listed as a restricted area", far more likely you will get "privacy concern" marking on a area, which I would then avoid ideally, but use your brain.

Check the signage, if they don't have "no drones allowed" then they got less of a foot to stand on, can still have you leave but they don't at least have the defence of "we have signs up".
They may say "it says so on our website"... well that's brilliant but you didn't check their website, why would you.

Now my own nearest national trust land, I have found nothing on the signs nor for that matter online that seem to restrict me at that location, I make sure not to be a determent and thus far no issues.

Follow the law, stay out of trouble.be creative, be safe.

Reactions: FuzLogix and m2bfx
City of Bristol only have 2 places to fly in public parks. At Blaise near Henbury, next to a road and housing estate, and at Hengrove Park next to a community hospital and sports centre and very close to a play park. So much for not flying near infrastructure etc.

I use the NAT app to define where I can and cannot fly legally, that is the official government app and if I were hassled I would use that in my defence.

So unless the DJI app stops my flight/indicates I must not fly I take its indications with a grain of salt or as precaution as I have observed it is not the most accurate when comes to such things.

Don't confuse national trust rules as if they are law or any other organization (to my knowledge), generally they can stop you taking off or landing on their land but they have no authority over your flying over it.
Now that doesn't mean you should nor should you seek undue conflict, but do not confuse privacy concern with "no fly zone" which generally is a overused term, often it is controlled airspace.

Take for example my home town local park, they have specifically stated on their rules at the entrance no drones. can't blame them, far too nice a park and not right for flying, too crowded. I would never try to take off from there. But that does not stop me taking off outside and flying over. I don't do it but I can and if I did do it I would do it as such height most people wouldn't hear or notice.

At the end of the day act as safely as you can, don't make a nuisance of yourself and cause undue alarm, if someone official asks you to leave do so.
Plead innocence and ignorance and use the NAT app to say "this is not listed as a restricted area", far more likely you will get "privacy concern" marking on a area, which I would then avoid ideally, but use your brain.

Check the signage, if they don't have "no drones allowed" then they got less of a foot to stand on, can still have you leave but they don't at least have the defence of "we have signs up".
They may say "it says so on our website"... well that's brilliant but you didn't check their website, why would you.

Now my own nearest national trust land, I have found nothing on the signs nor for that matter online that seem to restrict me at that location, I make sure not to be a determent and thus far no issues.

Terribly sorry, for whatever reason this never gave me any notifications about responses! (new to this forum so likely just missed a setting)

I completely agree with what you're saying here, we're all just here to express our creativity and allow these devices to help take said creativity to the next level, but of course these regulations can hinder that slightly.

The main problem I find is that there's certainly "grey areas" when it comes to this, and even members on this forum end up arguing over what's considering the organisations land and whatnot. I've had users in conflict over how high up you need to fly to avoid a parks "air-space". I'm far too passive to start throwing my theories and beliefs around, so I simply take it all in, which often results in a "a = b and b = c but a ≠ c" mentality.

You made reference to a NAT app, however I'm not 100% sure on which one you're referring to, might it be the "NATS Drone Assist">

yep.

also keep in mind, if you pre program (autopilot and such) your shot and plan, you can be in and out rather quickly.

yep.

also keep in mind, if you pre program (autopilot and such) your shot and plan, you can be in and out rather quickly.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend (if the weather permits it) and try and get some shots of an long abandoned location, hopefully it'll add a slightly eerie feel.

However for more public locations, it honestly seems like it's impossible to legally fly. Carsington Water for example, no drone usage allowed there, apparently this goes for all other Seven Trent Water locations. Dovedale, once again not allowed, anywhere worth getting a shot of is off-limits.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend (if the weather permits it) and try and get some shots of an long abandoned location, hopefully it'll add a slightly eerie feel.

However for more public locations, it honestly seems like it's impossible to legally fly. Carsington Water for example, no drone usage allowed there, apparently this goes for all other Seven Trent Water locations. Dovedale, once again not allowed, anywhere worth getting a shot of is off-limits.

I’ve found asking in advance and being polite often helps as Drones now have some bad press thanks to a small percentage of idiots that spoil it for the rest of us. Even on sites that are national trust etc. Generally if you explain it’s a hobby and you have professional equipment not a toy it seems to help. I had a couple of good examples, the castle ruins below I asked in the office and they just said it was deserted today due to a polo match so feel free to video anything, great result. On Isle of Wight it was quiet as it was cold and windy but main office said if I took off over the back I’d be fine to use a drone and, lastly, the Flying Scotsman I captured, we ended up chatting to a farmer who was fed up with people on his land and after a little chat he let us use one of his deserted fields for £5 to charity (even let us drive to the field) just said I don’t want you flying over farmhouse. Worked well and we ended up right next to railway. I suspect the charity was the farmers beer fund but hey it works for me!!

So always worth asking first even if it says no in writing.

Reactions: princeofthehouse
I’ve found asking in advance and being polite often helps as Drones now have some bad press thanks to a small percentage of idiots that spoil it for the rest of us. Even on sites that are national trust etc. Generally if you explain it’s a hobby and you have professional equipment not a toy it seems to help. I had a couple of good examples, the castle ruins below I asked in the office and they just said it was deserted today due to a polo match so feel free to video anything, great result. On Isle of Wight it was quiet as it was cold and windy but main office said if I took off over the back I’d be fine to use a drone and, lastly, the Flying Scotsman I captured, we ended up chatting to a farmer who was fed up with people on his land and after a little chat he let us use one of his deserted fields for £5 to charity (even let us drive to the field) just said I don’t want you flying over farmhouse. Worked well and we ended up right next to railway. I suspect the charity was the farmers beer fund but hey it works for me!!

very well said, despite all I have said this is the ideal.

Some great shots - I would certainly recommend talking to people even if you're not flying the drone. Recently I wanted an 'aerial' shot of a property on National Trust land, couldn't fly as it's national trust land but chatted with a couple of people as I was trying to get a shot from up a hill - they were quite anti-drone, hope I left them feeling more positive. Also you're much braver than me: the thought of flying the Mavic around the Needles on a windy day!

Some great shots - I would certainly recommend talking to people even if you're not flying the drone. Recently I wanted an 'aerial' shot of a property on National Trust land, couldn't fly as it's national trust land but chatted with a couple of people as I was trying to get a shot from up a hill - they were quite anti-drone, hope I left them feeling more positive. Also you're much braver than me: the thought of flying the Mavic around the Needles on a windy day!

Oh yes windy day it was!! but had made a special trip so decided to go for it but have to admit the P4P handled it really well just had to do a hand catch landing at the end!!

I must say this a fantastic thread, very informative and it’s great to see the community discussing things like this :)

I’m quite the introvert so openly asking people and whatnot is like doing a school report from yesteryear! However, thank you to everyone for their input and suggestions!

Reactions: aerialinspiration
I must say this a fantastic thread, very informative and it’s great to see the community discussing things like this :)

I’m quite the introvert so openly asking people and whatnot is like doing a school report from yesteryear! However, thank you to everyone for their input and suggestions!

Hey don’t ever worry about asking, there is a great bunch of people sharing ideas and info here, it’s a good community. The PhantomPilots forum is great too

Reactions: Valon

The NATS app is something I have just downloaded and it gives you loads more info including pylons and schools etc.... looks promising

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki