DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best drone for predator control

Quebecnewf

Reactions
I currently own a MA. It’s my first drone and I’ve had a lot of fun flying and learning to fly it .
I still have a lot to learn and I know that .
I will probably be getting a small job next spring to try and eradicate foxes on a bunch of small islands . These islands are federal seabird sanctuaries and the foxes do a great deal of damage needless to say in the bird nesting colonies .
The foxes cross to the islands on the sea ice during freeze in the winter . They then get trapped there during the spring thaw and live there during the summer and fall .
I plan to use drones to fly over the islands and attempt to follow the foxes and observe them and drive them into dens and destroy them in the den or force them out and shoot them as they come out .
I know this sounds cruel but the havoc they wreck in the nesting birds means they have to go . Live trapping does not work because they have so much feed they ignore the bait.
My question which of DJI drones would be best suited to this work . I’m thinking a long flight time and a good zoom camera are priorities

What are your thoughts and questions

Quebecnewf

Reactions: Drgnfli
first question what are you going to do with the sea birds while you are flying over the islands looking for foxes,or do they migrate for the winter and you plan to be there before they return

It will be nearly impossible to spot a fox with a drone due to their small size and camouflage, even with a zoom lens. Then you would need to get pretty low to drive them to the den and that would endanger or disturb the birds you are trying to protect.

Perhaps the Mavic 2 Enterprise Zoom with the speaker broadcasting a fox predator call may spook them but would probably also spook the nesting birds.

I currently own a MA. It’s my first drone and I’ve had a lot of fun flying and learning to fly it .
I still have a lot to learn and I know that .
I will probably be getting a small job next spring to try and eradicate foxes on a bunch of small islands . These islands are federal seabird sanctuaries and the foxes do a great deal of damage needless to say in the bird nesting colonies .
The foxes cross to the islands on the sea ice during freeze in the winter . They then get trapped there during the spring thaw and live there during the summer and fall .
I plan to use drones to fly over the islands and attempt to follow the foxes and observe them and drive them into dens and destroy them in the den or force them out and shoot them as they come out .
I know this sounds cruel but the havoc they wreck in the nesting birds means they have to go . Live trapping does not work because they have so much feed they ignore the bait.
My question which of DJI drones would be best suited to this work . I’m thinking a long flight time and a good zoom camera are priorities

What are your thoughts and questions

Quebecnewf

As a fellow wildlife biologist, I think the concern about birds is definitely a legitimate one with a drone. If there’s any kind of nesting activity you’re going to be disturbing the very same birds as the foxes do, and if there are any predatory birds present, they may get to eggs and nestlings if their parents are flushed from the nest by the drone.

I would think the best solution would be to use canine control bait stations (meat scented cyanide laced lollipop stations), they work on coyotes and unfortunately, on the bobcats and foxes in our area, and are not dangerous to birds.

Last edited:
@Quebecnewf i think that what myself and others on the forum are trying to say , is really a drone is not the way to go with your fox control

@Quebecnewf i think that what myself and others on the forum are trying to say , is really a drone is not the way to go with your fox control

Perhaps he could use the drone only at night to map out the den sites, anything seen moving around would be a fox. I’m just guessing that the birds won’t flush at night.

I think you'll find that most states DNR's have laws against using drones in the process of hunting. Check before you get caught...
It sounds like he’s doing it for a government wildlife protection project, and It’s likely they have their permits in order...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wailuku
Might be a little more open where I’m at but I’ve chased plenty away from my place with it.

Permits are all in order. It’s a gov job . We try ( without to much success so far , I was late getting my drone last year)
to get the foxes before the birds come ashore to nest . Can’t fly at night . Islands are rocky and are honeycombed with cracks so dens if they have them can be anywhere and they change and move around .

The drones will not disturb the birds to the extent that a fox does . They hunt and stash kills everywhere . We have found like 10 ducks and murres pushed in one hole . You have to understand these are very large colonies with 10 of thousands of birds in some colonies .

rather than walking around hoping to see the fox ( and be quick enough to get a shot ) I want the drone to do my walking and spotting for me . Poison is not an option ( not allowed) would not work anyway because we have tried any and all types of bait and scents but they will touch nothing . Too much feed so they have no interest .

quebecnewf

Permits are all in order. It’s a gov job . We try ( without to much success so far , I was late getting my drone last year)
to get the foxes before the birds come ashore to nest . Can’t fly at night . Islands are rocky and are honeycombed with cracks so dens if they have them can be anywhere and they change and move around .

The drones will not disturb the birds to the extent that a fox does . They hunt and stash kills everywhere . We have found like 10 ducks and murres pushed in one hole . You have to understand these are very large colonies with 10 of thousands of birds in some colonies .

rather than walking around hoping to see the fox ( and be quick enough to get a shot ) I want the drone to do my walking and spotting for me . Poison is not an option ( not allowed) would not work anyway because we have tried any and all types of bait and scents but they will touch nothing . Too much feed so they have no interest .

quebecnewf

Have you thought about game cameras with 4/5G connectivity? They'll stream real time video on motion and you will then be able to refine their placement until you have dens and stashes pretty much pinpointed. Then you can concentrate on those high activity areas.

You can definitely find them from the air, but staying airborne till they go to den might be tough. Here is an idea, spot fox with drone, keep drone above fox, hunters or marksman can see drone from ground so they know where to go to. Spot and stalk sounds fun to me. If want pm me your email, send some videos of chasing.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Do they ever jump at it? I’ve seen one doing that. Maybe he could put a bunch of feathers on a Mavic mini and the foxes will chase it.

Never jump, some are more scared than others. Chased 2 yesterday,first ran like a bat out of ( Mod Removed Langage)for a mile, second one I could’ve ran into it because it was just at a trot and took me to a dead deer where it grabbed a bite and went on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you thought about game cameras with 4/5G connectivity? They'll stream real time video on motion and you will then be able to refine their placement until you have dens and stashes pretty much pinpointed. Then you can concentrate on those high activity areas.
There is no cell service in this area . Islands are located 11 miles offshore . Islands have very little cover other than the cracks and crevices . Some of these foxes are not mated pairs so dens are not a part of their routine

quebecnewf

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme