DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best go-along camera

BSauce955

Inspire or be Inspired
Approved Vendor
Reactions
Hey, so my Air 2S should arrive tomorrow and I'm wondering what would be a good go-along camera for it. I'm currently thinking about the Osmo 2, a Canon M50, or maybe a GoPro product. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!

I think it depends on how you want to use it. I was contemplating an ultra wide angle camera like the insta 360 to mount on my Mini and fly through thing, but thought the other limitations would be too great. I'm thinking of buying an iPhone 13 and then dedicating my XR to my drone controllers. I had purchased a gimbal for my XR when I was doing a project earlier in the year (for $75 and works great!), and while the XR wasn't ideal for the resolution of the video that I had wanted, it wasn't bad. At some point I'll want to upgrade phones anyway so I just might accelerate the purchase of the new phone for the benefit of the camera.

I assume you mean to carry/use besides the camera in the drone ( not to mount ON the drone?)
It really depends on what you intend to use the " add-on" camera for and if you need a certain size/weight for portability.
What type of scenarios do you envision using the camera?

I think this thread would be useful for you - very similar question was asked:

tl;dr:

1) GoPro Hero 10
2) Gimbal for your smartphone
3) Ground rig for your drone
4) DJI Pocket 2

I assume you mean to carry/use besides the camera in the drone ( not to mount ON the drone?)
It really depends on what you intend to use the " add-on" camera for and if you need a certain size/weight for portability.
What type of scenarios do you envision using the camera?
I'm intending to use it with real estate videography, maybe some action, just anything that would add to my drone footage. What I'm mainly worried about is if there will be big color differences, resolution, maybe clarity etc.

If color/editing/quality differences are your primary concern, a ground rig for your drone might be a good option for you.

If color/editing/quality differences are your primary concern, a ground rig for your drone might be a good option for you.
Hmm, never thought of that. Do you know of any for the Air 2S? I've seen then more the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom but none for the Air 2S so far.

Hmm, never thought of that. Do you know of any for the Air 2S? I've seen then more the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom but none for the Air 2S so far.

I realize this is for the M2 series (and maybe the one you've already seen) but it might fit the Air 2S as they are very similar in size. I don't think Polar Pro has released a version specifically for the Air 2S yet but it might be worth an email to them to confirm cross compatibility:

Regardless, this is the general type of rig that may suit you if you want your ground and air footage to be identical for editing purposes.

There are other options too, many found for very cheap on the Chinese marketplaces like bangood and aliexpress - again just to give you a rough idea:

A final thing to consider would be to fit prop guards and simply fly through the home in tripod mode, if this is for Real Estate.

Last edited:
I'm intending to use it with real estate videography, maybe some action, just anything that would add to my drone footage. What I'm mainly worried about is if there will be big color differences, resolution, maybe clarity etc
We shoot Real Estate as well and found the Sony Alpha series cameras match footage fairly well. We shoot in SLOG2 on the Camera and DLog on the drone. Pretty easy to match. If you go this route, you can pick up a used a6300 (cheapest option with profiles) for under $700 easily... Below is a video we did a month or so back using the 6300 and Air 2S. It would have matched almost PERFECTLY had I dropped the drones resolution down to 1080p to match the Sony camera, which was shooting in 1080p 60 for slow-mo...

Reactions: BSauce955
My ground camera is a Nikon Z7. My kit including it and a MA have traveled around US and Europe. Post processing the footage to match shot to shot works fine in Final Cut Pro, and Resolve is easy.

Essentially, I mean a camera that I'll take ground footage with.
Any good DSLR works - I'd go for a mirrorless model since they are the newest in high tech.

I bought the DJI Pocket 2 for both land based video and pics. Great little device and can carry it in a pocket which is cool. Only real drawback is the "tiny" and I mean tiny screen for viewing. You can connect to a phone, but to me that kind of defeats the purpose of having such a small handy camera. I've owned GoPro's and hated them. The newer ones may be okay - can't say. The Pocket wins for me as it like your drone camera sits on a gimbal for nearly flawless video that you won't get with any camera not on a gimbal. Yes, it is a bit pricey, but it works for me.

For a DSLR - I have an older Nikon D60 with an 18-200 lens. It still works like a champ and if really anything happens to it - compared to my D810 and super long lens (too heavy to carry around much) - I'm not going to flip out over it. The Nikon D7000 series seems to be a fairly good economical line. I'm sure Canon and the others are the same.

Many people simply use their phones - esp if you own a newer iPhone 10 or above) or Android. They seem to take decent enough pics and most people typically have their phone on them at all times.

Another option is the OM5 and a smart phone like the iPhone 12 or 13 Pro series. There are apps that you can use to control the camera settings as well...

Hey, so my Air 2S should arrive tomorrow and I'm wondering what would be a good go-along camera for it. I'm currently thinking about the Osmo 2, a Canon M50, or maybe a GoPro product. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks!
I read through all of the answers and was surprised only one person recommended the DJI OM4 or the newer OM5. I use the OM4 with Apple iPhone XI Pro Max which has 4K video, and the OM4 gives me great stabilization, motion lapse, timelapse,slo-m0, portraits, panoramas, etc.

I have found that I can only use my Osmo Pocket 1 with an iPhone attached using a bracket (Ulanz is no longer made). The screen otherwise is just too small on the Pocket.

I bought the DJI Pocket 2 for both land based video and pics. Great little device and can carry it in a pocket which is cool. Only real drawback is the "tiny" and I mean tiny screen for viewing.

I had the original Pocket, or should say I've had 2 Pockets :confused:

There is a big 2nd drawback, they are so darn small they can EASILY slip out of non suitable shorts pockets.
Twice.
TWICE !! 😭

Ah well, no more Pockets for me, that's was near AU$900 down the drain, took probably 3 or 4 hyperlapses, a hadful of movies on both of them.
Unless the last one is eventually found unharmed by nature (private property, but 2000acres !) in the coming weeks / months, I will have a few accessories to go.

Will have to be an Original Pocket owner, and the clamp bracket for tripod use, and the charging case, will only fit the old original model not the new Pocket 2 (of course !! It's DJ bloody I !!!).

I read through all of the answers and was surprised only one person recommended the DJI OM4 or the newer OM5. I use the OM4 with Apple iPhone XI Pro Max which has 4K video, and the OM4 gives me great stabilization, motion lapse, timelapse,slo-m0, portraits, panoramas, etc.

I have found that I can only use my Osmo Pocket 1 with an iPhone attached using a bracket (Ulanz is no longer made). The screen otherwise is just too small on the Pocket.

It was mentioned in post #5 - follow the link to the other thread where the same question was asked, there is some more discussion there.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54