DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best iPad for Mavic

The iPad 2 is too slow to run DJI GO. Go with either the iPad Mini 4 or the iPad Pro if you're looking for a larger device.

If you decide to go with the iPad Pro (or another device that large), you'll need some kind of tablet mount to attach it to the remote controller. Here are a few tablet mounts that might work for you:
It would also be a good idea to pick up a Lightning cable that's between about 10-12 inches long. Here are a few commonly used Lightning cables:

Thanks so much for posting
This is a great starting point

Ok then I'm not sure I can settle for an iPad mini 4 due to price & just using it exclusively for the mavic...

What are the real advantages of the iPad 4 versus a Samsung tab s2 with Android 6?

I keep asking what are the options added on IOS compared to Android but hard to get an answer... [emoji29]
Android is very temperamental, I started off using android and got fed up of loss of signal, app crashes etc on a relatively clean well maintained Samsung s5, I bought a factory refurbished ipad mini 3 and it's a thing of beauty, larger screen lounger battery life and best of all glitch free flying.
I reverted to the s5 on the weekend and I had two app shut downs on it during one batteries worth of flying

Reactions: KiterTodd
It was explained to me and seemed to make sense that ios is more controlled than android since it's used on apple devices, whereas android has so many versions and devices things can get pretty jumbled up and you're kind of on your own figuring it out. I love keeping my pixel in my pocket and free to use as I need it and having the mini 4 dedicated to the mavic.

Android is very temperamental, I started off using android and got fed up of loss of signal, app crashes etc on a relatively clean well maintained Samsung s5, I bought a factory refurbished ipad mini 3 and it's a thing of beauty, larger screen lounger battery life and best of all glitch free flying.
I reverted to the s5 on the weekend and I had two app shut downs on it during one batteries worth of flying
Yikes!
That's good to know.

Were you on android 6? (Android 7 is the big problem)

I practiced with a Samsung tab S2 with Android 6 and it seems pretty solid...

I just wonder if anyone can compare this setup with an iPad mini...?

Last edited:
IMO - Apple as a whole system is much more stable that Android and - before I get flamed from the Android Fans - Apple is a "Closed System" which means that unless you deliberately jailbreak your Apple, the only way to install software is to download it from the Apple controlled App Store.

To my eye it seems that DJI is writing software more to the iOS products than Android. As to why, I can only guess, but I'd say it's because:

(1) Read my first paragraph.

(2) Apple does not allow the carrier companies to add their "bloat ware" onto the iOS system. So the only software that's on a non-jail broken iOS device has passed through Apple's eco-system review cycle.

(3) Apple "pushes" their updates directly to the customer. Google / Android leaves it up to the various hardware manufacturers or carrier companies to offer the updates or not.

These are the reasons that I find Apple to be more stable and not have a lot of the problems that can be found in Google / Android based devices but, as always, YMMV.

Reactions: Hotelone and Glen e
Unfortunately my right arm does not open up as much as the left and my mini 4 will not fit.
Really - I'm using a Mini 4 and it fits with no problem - and it's very securely mounted. I do not have any case on the Mini 4, just a screen protector.

Really - I'm using a Mini 4 and it fits with no problem - and it's very securely mounted. I do not have any case on the Mini 4, just a screen protector.

The right arm is won't open as much.

Anyhow just took a dremel to the arm where it meets body of controller, removed a mm of plastic each side and it not fits well.

Ready to go :)

Well if that is the plus... I can guarantee you the a Samsung tab s2 (t710 with Android 6) is as stable and have the same options...

I really thought there was more to it...

Well if that is the plus... I can guarantee you the a Samsung tab s2 (t710 with Android 6) is as stable and have the same options...

I really thought there was more to it...
no its an iPad mini 4.
had a tab before, did not work well.

It's not which Pad is better than the other in terms of display, it's the iOS software being so much more stable and predictable, and a few additional features than android.

This could change tomorrow. But right now, there's no comparison between the two op systems for pilot programs. Just read here for a few days.

I don't understand I thought iPad mini 2 was OK!! (as I did read some of your comments where you said so yourself)

In which sense does the iPad mini 2 is too slow? Could you be more precise?

I'm buying an iPad mini for the sole purpose of using with the mavic (but I may have the lumecube app in background from time to time), so I look for the cheapest but reliable option!

I have an iPad mini 2 with my mavic. Works great worth no lag. Only nit, sometimes display isn't as bright as needed on clear sunny days so got a cheap hood, problem solved....

I have an iPad mini 2 with my mavic. Works great worth no lag. Only nit, sometimes display isn't as bright as needed on clear sunny days so got a cheap hood, problem solved....
But there is no current tablet the defeat the sun right? [emoji28]

Reactions: Studoo
But there is no current tablet the defeat the sun right? [emoji28]

I have an iPad 12.9" pro for work. It is great in the sun but won't use it strictly for the "**** this is too big too fly with" factor (though I've seen people use them with music stands but people stare at me enough without looking more strange...)

Reactions: WheelzWorld
I upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 7+ when I got the Mavic. I wanted a slightly bigger screen and my batteries were shot on the 6. I've been happy with that. However...

....when I called ATT to order my 7+, they said, we have a promotion going for 99 cent tablets, how many would you like? "Excuse me?" I asked a lot of questions, even called back after order...there is no catch if you use them as wifi tablets, they are only 99cents. You commit to the same 2 year contract you would have anyway but don't owe any more money for the tablets even if you bail. If you turn on cell service they hit you with a $45 charge, which I'll never do. Wifi is fine, AND, I link it to my phone for wifi when away from home.

So here is the kicker, they are really nice tablets. I was expecting something cheaply built like the kindle Fires we got for the kids. This says "ZTE Corporation, Model K88" (Trek 2 8" Tablet HD) on the back, along with an ATT logo. It has a rugged non-slip back, nice camera, screen, microSD slot for memory expansion, all the normal Android features. I decided to keep one for me to use as a large Mavic screen when I want it, and the other is for the kids. It's a nice enough tablet that I should have gotten more of them at that price.

So, that's my tip. I did look at getting a small iPad first. Even looked into the refurbished ones on the Apple site. I was surprised how expensive they were. I'll rock this "free" one as long as needed. In most cased I use the phone but wanted the option of a larger screen for summer flying when I have a big glare and/or need to preserve phone battery life.

(This is the tablet on Amazon. If you have ATT, I'd recommend calling to upgrade any of your phones on the plan, and see if this is still offered. I suspect it is.)
Going to pull my Trek 2 out of the closet and give it a go with my MP. You haven’t had any lag issues or anything??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64