DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best polarizing lenses that protects camera?

daigurren69

Reactions
So I was looking into something that can protect the lens that doesnt degrade the image or make it look super artificial/edited. Any ideas? I k ow ND filters are not ideal for that

So I was looking into something that can protect the lens that doesnt degrade the image or make it look super artificial/edited. Any ideas? I k ow ND filters are not ideal for that
Your camera already has a UV filter that protects the lens.
There's no need to double up.

And a polarising filter is not the answer.
Polarisers are more trouble than they are worth for drone photography.
They only work when the filter is aligned correctly relative to the sun.
Turn the drone to face another direction and you lose the polarising effect and end up with weird blotchy skies.

Turn the drone to face another direction and you lose the polarising effect and end up with weird blotchy skies.

So what is usually used to protect the lens from scratches and other things that it may fly into? Obviously small things that you cant see like dust.

So what is usually used to protect the lens from scratches and other things that it may fly into? Obviously small things that you cant see like dust.
That flat front window that the lens shoots through is the UV filter.
It's only purpose is to protect the lens.

vpavic_042026_4003_0106.jpg

Reactions: daigurren69
That flat front window that the lens shoots through is the UV filter.
It's only purpose is to protect the lens.

vpavic_042026_4003_0106.jpg

I think you are mistaken. The stock "frame" on the Mavic Air 2 camera contains no glass, it's just an empty frame that you can remove to swap on a ND filter. I believe OP Is looking for something to mount there that protects the glass that is permanently attached to the camera.

I think you are mistaken. The stock "frame" on the Mavic Air 2 camera contains no glass, it's just an empty frame that you can remove to swap on a ND filter. I believe OP Is looking for something to mount there that protects the glass that is permanently attached to the camera.
I don't have one to check but the image I posted sure looks like a flat glass window is sitting there.

I don't have one to check but the image I posted sure looks like a flat glass window is sitting there.
You are seeing the glass that is permanently attached to the camera. The snap on frame is "empty", just like the included screw on frame was empty on the original Mavic Air.

Edit: picture attached

Attachments

• 20200518_190633.jpg
    20200518_190633.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
You are seeing the glass that is permanently attached to the camera. The snap on frame is "empty", just like the included screw on frame was empty on the original Mavic Air.
I was disappointed to see that was empty elliminating any protection it could have provided.
That flat glass window is what the OP was asking for .. something that can protect the lens that doesn't degrade the image.
It's already there .. he doesn't need anything additional.

That flat glass window is what the OP was asking for .. something that can protect the lens that doesn't degrade the image.
It's already there .. he doesn't need anything additional.

No, he's asking for a replaceable UV filter, like many photographers use on their cameras to protect their actual lens.

No, he's asking for a replaceable UV filter, like many photographers use on their cameras to protect their actual lens.
I don't know how I can make it any simpler.
DJI have already put it there.
There is no need to buy a second protective element and double up.
I said all this in my first post and have repeated it several times.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I don't know how I can make it any simpler.
DJI have already put it there.
There is no need to buy a second protective element and double up.
I said all this in my first post and have repeated it several times.

I'm not sure if you are trolling or what, but what is being discussed here is an extra piece of glass so that if the camera is hit by an object, you have an easily swappable filter that is scratched or cracked instead of your expensive drone lens. This is a very common concept with cameras of all types. (just like a "screen protector" for a phone)

How is the glass that comes on the drone a solution for OP's issue? If it is cracked then you need to send your drone in for repair.

I'm not sure if you are trolling or what, but what is being discussed here is an extra piece of glass so that if the camera is hit by an object, you have an easily swappable filter that is scratched or cracked instead of your expensive drone lens. This is a very common concept with cameras of all types. (just like a "screen protector" for a phone)

How is the glass that comes on the drone a solution for OP's issue? If it is cracked then you need to send your drone in for repair.
I'm not sure if you are trolling either.
DJI put a protective window in front of the lens already.
There is no need to slap another one on there.
If you did, maybe you'd want another to protect the first one you added?

Adding more layers of glass to what's already there is only going to degrade optical performance.

Let me see if I can put it in simple terms. If the glass that comes made on to the camera gets scratched. What do you do. Yes things get scratched so that’s why people who add a filter to other types of cameras add them. So if you flying and hit something even a twig or small debris and it gets scratched. How do you take care of the scratched on the protective window that comes from the factory so it doesn’t distort any pictures. Is it scratch proof. Some one else care to add to this subject.

Reactions: Pappy
Let me see if I can put it in simple terms. If the glass that comes made on to the camera gets scratched. What do you do. Yes things get scratched so that’s why people who add a filter to other types of cameras add them. So if you flying and hit something even a twig or small debris and it gets scratched. How do you take care of the scratched on the lense that comes from the factory so it doesn’t distort any pictures. Is it scratch proof. Some one else care to add to this subject.
You would have to be crashing the drone or being very careless with storage to scratch it.

lot's of you tube video's about what it takes to scratch a lens. Also lots of videos about how degrading these protective junk glass lenses are.
just sayin..

P

Polarized filters are amazing to remove reflection such as water, glasses etc. Of course you have to adjust manually before take off. An example I shot myself :

Hawaii - kitesurf in Kailua Beach - DJI Mavic Pro 4K - PolarPro filter - no editing !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329