DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Practice for Mavic Air Batteries

webfishnz

Reactions
The Mavic Air is my first drone and I'm loving it.

What is the best protocol fro MA batteries? I might not use the device for two weeks by which time the batteries are no longer full charged. Am I better to leave them partially discharged after use and then re-charge just prior to flying? Or is it better to charge them up after each flight before putting away?

Judging by the time taken to recharge the batteries, I'm guessing the charger discharges and then re-charges?

Lithium batteries in general are best stored at medium charge level. So charge back to 50-70% and store them (not too warm). Then fully recharge b/f the flight.
Obviously, this only works if you don't want to fly spontaneously...

If you charge the batteries, they will automatically discharge themselves to around 50% capacity. I believe you can even set the "wait before discharge" period somewhere.
So its indeed best to charge them before storing them in case they are below 50% after flying.

Small tip, if it has been a while since your last flight and you are planning on going again, but the batteries are still fully charged, its advisable to still put them in the charger before flying. Otherwise you might risk a discharge while setting up your drone, or worst during flight. Putting them in the charger cancels the discharge process.
In that regard, never take off with a battery that isn't full after not using it for a while. I recall some people had the battery level drop from 50% to near zero in an instant while flying because of the initiated discharge that wasn't aborted by a recharge.

Reactions: webfishnz
If you read the manual the came with your batteries, it goes over all of your questions in detail.

The batteries will automatically discharge themselves after ~10 days to a safe level to avoid swelling. After that they enter hibernation mode. If you aren't going to be using them for a really long time, every 3 months you should run them through a full cycle.

Do not put the batteries away charged unless you will be using them within a day or two. Do not store the batteries empty either, that is even worse. Storage should always be done around 30-60% charge, and ideally you would always charge them immediately prior to use or put them on the charger immediately before use. Each light on the battery represents 25% charge.

And no, the multi-charger does not discharge then charge the batteries. It charges them sequentially one at a time, from the current level to full. It first does an analysis to find the battery that needs the least charge and charges that first (to get you back in the air faster), and so on. The batteries also charge slower if they are too cold, though you should let the batteries cool off to room temperature after use before charging (i.e. don't take them right off the drone after a flight and onto the charger).

Am I better to leave them partially discharged after use and then re-charge just prior to flying? Or is it better to charge them up after each flight before putting away?
When your batteries are not in use, you should keep them within this charge level. There's no need to charge them after flying unless they are below 25% charged and you're not going to fly again in the next couple of days.

Check out the Mavic Air Battery Safety Guidelines for more best practices.

Note also that the automatic 10 day discharge clock will reset if you push the battery level indicator button.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Note also that the automatic 10 day discharge clock will reset if you push the battery level indicator button.
I tested that and found the clock is not reset. Charging the battery or powering it on should be the only things that reset the clock.

I tested that and found the clock is not reset. Charging the battery or powering it on should be the only things that reset the clock.
Is it different for the Air? Per your quote on Feb. 8, 2018:
Have you been pressing the battery button to check the charge level? If so, that resets the counter back to 5 days each time you press the button...

That quote is accurate. Note that the OP has a Mavic Air battery (not a Mavic Pro battery).
That's why I asked if the Air and Pro batteries were different (as far as the battery discharge timer is concerned). Like many others, I count on your wise input.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000