DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Settings for Tight Locations

rasjay

Reactions
What setting suggestions do you have for flying through really tight spaces and avoiding landings when they aren't wanted? And, what are any potential downsides to any suggestions you might make?

What clearances do you envisage?
What would be the lighting conditions?
What weather conditions?

I'm interest in mode as well and why.
For tight spaces I fly in tripod mode because of the finer control, and slower speed of the drone. Also keeping a very close eye on the drone is important as I often ignore the warnings because I can see the drone flying. Finding the right spot so I can closely monitor the drone is not always easy but important for me. Bryan.

Reactions: TTP and bburnett15
Anything overhead with respect to the drone?
I am thinking primarily of the upward looking sensors which can be a pain in the derrirer when not needed but also RTH and GPS. Those upward looking sensors are "all powerful" and when they are on I have forced an M2P to the ground by lowering my hand over them. The only way I know of disabling them is to switch to sports mode and then, with only 2ft of clearance, if you twitch the drone will be into something.
In low light I believe you would need the bottom light on for the VPS to work. I doubt GPS, if available, would be accurate enough, if you have neither I think you will be in ATTI mode and need a featherlight touch on the joysticks.

Reactions: TTP
What you are wanting to do will be difficult to extremely difficult depending on your piloting skills. Tripod mode will be useful due to the less sensitive controls and slower speed. Obstacle avoidance will not let you get closer than about 5-6ft to any solid object so it will have to be turned off. I am assuming that it is possible to turn off OA in Tripod mode, I haven’t tried this. Another issue is that the positional accuracy of the drone is not that precise, it can wander a bit. Wind and gusty conditions will make this much harder. I might recommend prop guards as well.

Good luck.

Anything overhead with respect to the drone?
I am thinking primarily of the upward looking sensors which can be a pain in the derrirer when not needed but also RTH and GPS. Those upward looking sensors are "all powerful" and when they are on I have forced an M2P to the ground by lowering my hand over them. The only way I know of disabling them is to switch to sports mode and then, with only 2ft of clearance, if you twitch the drone will be into something.
In low light I believe you would need the bottom light on for the VPS to work. I doubt GPS, if available, would be accurate enough, if you have neither I think you will be in ATTI mode and need a featherlight touch on the joysticks.
Yes, I like to fly up small creeks and often return by flying up where there can be tree limbs/branches.

Reactions: Himerosteam
What you are wanting to do will be difficult to extremely difficult depending on your piloting skills. Tripod mode will be useful due to the less sensitive controls and slower speed. Obstacle avoidance will not let you get closer than about 5-6ft to any solid object so it will have to be turned off. I am assuming that it is possible to turn off OA in Tripod mode, I haven’t tried this. Another issue is that the positional accuracy of the drone is not that precise, it can wander a bit. Wind and gusty conditions will make this much harder. I might recommend prop guards as well.

Good luck.
Helpful feedback - thanks for sharing some of your time and expertise!

In confined spaces, overwater and returning via going up amongst branches, I think replacement insurance might be your first port of call.
I would be inclined to set the loss of signal response to hover and hope you can get to it before the low battery RTH kicks in, that assumes it has GPS or, if it does not have GPS, the critical battery forced landing sends it for a swim.

Reactions: Himerosteam
In confined spaces, overwater and returning via going up amongst branches, I think replacement insurance might be your first port of call.
I would be inclined to set the loss of signal response to hover and hope you can get to it before the low battery RTH kicks in, that assumes it has GPS or, if it does not have GPS, the critical battery forced landing sends it for a swim.
Good advice - thanks. I always fly with GPS.

You might launch with GPS but whether you will retain GPS "up small creeks" is an entirely different matter. Anyway it's your drone and your possible loss, so, the best of luck. Just be sure record is running and you cache videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would
  • Not tap fly. Fly it yourself by sight.
  • Know how to fly ATTI in case you lose GPS lock. Search this forum for how to set up manual ATTI for the M2P. The practice ATTI flying before doing this risky flight.
  • Set RTH height for each flight, so if it loses signal and decides to return, it will first raise to a safe altitude
  • I can't find it in the manual, but I thought there was a setting for what to do in case of signal loss. If so, you may prefer to set it to "hover" rather than "RTH". You do not want it set to "Land"
  • Do not let the battery get down to critical, because failsafe RTH will indeed just land wherever it is when the battery level gets down too low.
Chris

Reactions: Himerosteam and TTP
Flying in the woods, amongst branches is difficult. It may have already been said, or you may already know but it bears repeating that they are hard to see and sensors may pick up some but not all.
That said, good luck- its an ambitious undertaking and I’d love to see the video!

This is how I behave when I fly in tight spaces, which I do more or less every day.

- Enable forward and backward Obstacle Sensing = Off

- Display Radar Chart = Off or On as You like

- Enable Downward Vision Positioning = On

- Landing Protection = Off

- RTH Obstacle Detection = Off

- Smart Return Home = Off

And before TackOff.

- Always start the motors with T-P-S switch (on RC or SC) in position P

- When the propellers are spinning, set the T-P-S switch (on RC or SC) to position T

- Now you can increase the speed with the left joystick and sneak away softly and nicely.

Landing:

- Set the T-P-S switch (on RC or SC) to position T, the last bit before landing.

You might launch with GPS but whether you will retain GPS "up small creeks" is an entirely different matter. Anyway it's your drone and your possible loss, so, the best of luck. Just be sure record is running and you cache videos.
Right you are - thanks.

I would
  • Not tap fly. Fly it yourself by sight.
  • Know how to fly ATTI in case you lose GPS lock. Search this forum for how to set up manual ATTI for the M2P. The practice ATTI flying before doing this risky flight.
  • Set RTH height for each flight, so if it loses signal and decides to return, it will first raise to a safe altitude
  • I can't find it in the manual, but I thought there was a setting for what to do in case of signal loss. If so, you may prefer to set it to "hover" rather than "RTH". You do not want it set to "Land"
  • Do not let the battery get down to critical, because failsafe RTH will indeed just land wherever it is when the battery level gets down too low.
Chris
More good thoughts to consider - thanks!

This is how I behave when I fly in tight spaces, which I do more or less every day.

- Enable forward and backward Obstacle Sensing = Off

- Display Radar Chart = Off or On as You like

- Enable Downward Vision Positioning = On

- Landing Protection = Off

- RTH Obstacle Detection = Off

- Smart Return Home = Off

And before TackOff.

- Always start the motors with T-P-S switch (on RC or SC) in position P

- When the propellers are spinning, set the T-P-S switch (on RC or SC) to position T

- Now you can increase the speed with the left joystick and sneak away softly and nicely.

Landing:

- Set the T-P-S switch (on RC or SC) to position T, the last bit before landing.
Love the specifics - thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beechpilot