DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best smart phone

View attachment 44955View attachment 44954 Nokia 8 for me. Reason? Great processor, bags of memory (check out the benchmark comparisons) but, most importantly, a really, really, bright screen. 749 NITS for what it’s worth, which means it’s brighter than almost every other phone on the market. When you add a value for money angle to it, £250 (or less) it’s a very good package. I have used iPads and iPhones but have arrived at the Nokia. I can see all I need and have just flown in Sardinia in searing heat and clear skies without an issue.

The Brighter the better.. My GS 9 +has 1000 NITS, close to the Crystal Sky.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
My primary phone is a Galaxy S9+; but, I have been using an older Galaxy S7 dedicated to the drone. I took most ever app off except the DJI software. I have a Galaxy Tab A that I am going to try. It has a 10.1 inch screen. I hope it is not too large.

I did the opposite, the GS 9 + is so much brighter and more powerful than the GS 7, and I only use a phone for calls, voicemail , text and checking the news in a doctors office. So ALL video and music apps go, "Bixby" also. And any other garbage that comes with a new phone.

I think that "best smartphone" is the wrong question.

To answer it, we must have tried A LOT of smartphones, and then make an opinion.

Now, everyone of us, thinks that his phone is the best.

So, for me, my iPhone 6 is the best, because I use it as a phone, and with my drones in airplane mode, without issues. I also use an android Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime, as a phone, and in airplane mode for go4 app.

Thread is about smartphones, but I have to say, that when I have time to prepare, I fly with my (dedicated to go4) iPad mini 4. It's not very bright, but it's stable like a rock.

Reactions: msinger
Have used only my iPhone 6 this past year and a half but the screen is useless in bright sunlight. The phone is flawless for performance, steady as a rock and I always turn it to airplane mode. However, as stated the screen is poor in bright sunlight. Used it during a visit to Austria this summer up in the alps and even when I had the Mavic about 20 ft from me I could hardly see myself waving, in the iPhone 6 screen.

Bought the wunder phone and used it on my new Mavic 2 Pro this past ten days and it is a much brighter screen than the iPhone 6 so works much better in bright sunlight plus it is a larger screen and is very stable too but had it drop app twice for a bout 15 seconds in the last week. I also turn it to airplane mode when flying, I'm hoping this was a temp glitch. Also bought the Wunder tablet 7 but have not used it yet, though the screen is not as bright as the wunderphone.

I have a moto 5GS and sometimes I get disconnected... Do you always use Airplane mode when flying the mavic?

I am assuming you are speaking of airplane mode on the phone and not airplane mode on the controller right which I think is called 3-axis mode? Two different things those airplane/3-axis modes of course. I always use airplane mode turned on at the phone, though I know your message was not directed at me.

Last edited:
i AM CURRENTLY USING MY Iphone 5S and it works awesome, zero drag time, just a great phone but a little to small for my taste. I would like to get some feedback on the new Iphone XR instead of going with the Ipad mini 4 w/ wifi and cell ?? The new Iphone XR that has a 6.1 inch display which is a lot bigger then 4'' which is how big the iphone 5S display was. I read a lot of people are having problems like drag time, etc etc with the Iphone 7S!!

The million dollar question is how many have you used the IPhone XR Latest model to fly the dji drone?? How does it work in the Dji Go Pro App?

screen-shot-2018-11-03-at-9-36-39-am-png.52165

Huawei P10 - never had a problem ...

i AM CURRENTLY USING MY Iphone 5S and it works awesome, zero drag time, just a great phone but a little to small for my taste. I would like to get some feedback on the new Iphone XR instead of going with the Ipad mini 4 w/ wifi and cell ?? The new Iphone XR that has a 6.1 inch display which is a lot bigger then 4'' which is how big the iphone 5S display was. I read a lot of people are having problems like drag time, etc etc with the Iphone 7S!!

The million dollar question is how many have you used the IPhone XR Latest model to fly the dji drone?? How does it work in the Dji Go Pro App?

screen-shot-2018-11-03-at-9-36-39-am-png.52165
The XR is overpriced. If you want the best phone for your money, the OnePlus 6T is the absolute best. You could also get a Galaxy S9 for less than the XR, and it has a MUCH better display with similar processor, more ram, similar camera.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I decided to go with the iphone X!! My screen size of 5.3 inches which is perfect for me. The Screen resolution is @ 2436 x 1125 which is off the charts and it has 256 GB Storage. It fits perfect into the Dji Controller with the PolarPro attachment. Also, the The Go Pro aPP is lighting fast.. I could not be more happier... The look of the phone is top notch and the quality is definitely solid.
New IPhoneXIMG_7938.JPG

Has anyone tried a Xiaomi Mi Max3? I've been looking at the biggest Android device that will fit the controller arms and this looks like it has potential although it's a mid range chipset and the USB port is on the bottom which might be blocked by the controller arms.

How bright is it in direct sunlight, that should also be one of the most important factors?

Last edited:
The new IPhoneX is super bright and I mean super bright!!! I am still going to go with the Pygtech sunshade.
Really? I tried my wife iPhoneX and then decided to buy CS 7.85" monitor :)
Couple days ago I replaced my Samsung Note 4 with Samsung S9 Plus but had no chance to test it yet. At the moment weather in Toronto sucks, looks like I have to wait till spring to compare it vs CS. But will bet on CS to win hands down :)

Have used only my iPhone 6 this past year and a half but the screen is useless in bright sunlight. The phone is flawless for performance, steady as a rock and I always turn it to airplane mode. However, as stated the screen is poor in bright sunlight. Used it during a visit to Austria this summer up in the alps and even when I had the Mavic about 20 ft from me I could hardly see myself waving, in the iPhone 6 screen.

Bought the wunder phone and used it on my new Mavic 2 Pro this past ten days and it is a much brighter screen than the iPhone 6 so works much better in bright sunlight plus it is a larger screen and is very stable too but had it drop app twice for a bout 15 seconds in the last week. I also turn it to airplane mode when flying, I'm hoping this was a temp glitch. Also bought the Wunder tablet 7 but have not used it yet, though the screen is not as bright as the wunderphone.

iphoneX is over rated IMO. I had dedicated my old 6 to my drone and it was a great phone. I have had more freezes with my X in 3 months than I did in 3 years with my 6 and I am not the only one with this problem. I gave my 6 to my granddaughter recently and bought a 9.7 for my drone so I didn't have to use my X for it, I don't trust it.

Reactions: pilot1010hi
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada