DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best smart phone

Do you use your moto for flying your drone if so which one? Do you have other apps on and running on the phone and how does it manage.

I use a G4, stuffed with apps, but it works with no problem whatsoever. I use it in Airplane mode which obviously makes a difference, as does having 2gb RAM as standard I suspect (most older smartphones are only likely to have 1gb). I paid about €140 for it at the time but even the newer G5 and G6 aren't much more. A dual-sim G5 with 3gb RAM is around €160 on Amazon, while a G6 with 64GB, 5.7" display, Android 8.0 and 4gb RAM tops out around €270. All have full HD screens. The Play versions are a bit less but I can't remember why.

Honestly you can't touch them for the money and I've used a lot of decent Android smartphones in the past.

Reactions: DorsetDrone
iPad mini 4 dedicated, iPhone 6 and Xiaomi Redmi 4 prime.

All without any issues. I use the two phones everyday, they are full of apps, but when I use some for flying, set it in airplane mode, and kill every app running in the background.

iPhone X and iPad 2 cellular. Never once had any issues with any version of Go4 apps or Hanger Autopilot.

Reactions: CarlStarke
I use a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and - so far (knock on wood) - it's been flawless. But for that matter, so is my Mavic Pro. Not a single glitch. I might just be one lucky bugger.

I've never owned a smartphone without having either a lifeproof or Otterbox on it.. So it never made sense for me to use my phone. I went straight away into a tablet and mount. Galaxy tab 3 8.0. (even it is in a case)
Works good had to drop a grade on go app but it's nice and happy. I even directly connect my air to tablet for downloading Works like a champ

I'm new here. Just bought a Mavic pro on sale, trying to figure out the cell phone thing. I'd rather not use my personal cell for flying, so I searched for cell phone suggestions, and found this forum.
Walmart has several cells on the prepay plans and under 100.
What do you use and do you just go with the prepay plans?
I am a minimalist, and don't use most apps on my personal cell anyhow.
Also, have any of you used an infrared camera?

I'm new here. Just bought a Mavic pro on sale, trying to figure out the cell phone thing. I'd rather not use my personal cell for flying, so I searched for cell phone suggestions, and found this forum.
Walmart has several cells on the prepay plans and under 100.
What do you use and do you just go with the prepay plans?
I am a minimalist, and don't use most apps on my personal cell anyhow.
Also, have any of you used an infrared camera?

Huawei ascend XT2.

You don’t need a calling plan if you're only going to use it to fly your drone, assuming that you have access to WiFi

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I have been using a $30 Moto G2 for a while and it was a terrible experience using DJI Go 4 until last week. The reason for this is because it has a very slow processor. The newer Moto G phones are a lot faster. It would run litchi just fine (until you tried using the tracking modes) but DJI Go 4 was unusable. However, when DJI updated the app to support the Mavic 2, it suddenly worked without any lag at all. Perhaps this is because DJI finally optimized the app based on screen resolution so phones with only 720p resolutions don't have to decode a full 1080p stream.

Hi Claremarie:

How big are your hands? The I-Phone se is a great size, almost identical to the Controller, making for a nifty-looking combo.

However our hands are not small; we occasionally have problems pushing the 'buttons' along the top of the screen. They are bunched VERY close together.

Rgds, NAVMAV

You don’t need a calling plan if you're only going to use it to fly your drone, assuming that you have access to WiFi
I know the areas I want to fly over can be sketchy with WiFi. I like to take pictures of wildlife in state forest areas. Many areas do have cell phone service because of the vacation homes on the outskirts.
That's also another reason I'd like to use infrared to find the animals.
I like to backpack in to get ground views of them with my sleep.

I know the areas I want to fly over can be sketchy with WiFi. I like to take pictures of wildlife in state forest areas. Many areas do have cell phone service because of the vacation homes on the outskirts.
That's also another reason I'd like to use infrared to find the animals.
I like to backpack in to get ground views of them with my sleep.
Sorry insane spell check. Should be SLR CAMERA!

94EECDA5-F0EE-483E-A180-50D9387EF8FA.jpeg 5FFDD6E3-27E8-49CC-8FCB-1AFBAB0A5FBA.jpeg Nokia 8 for me. Reason? Great processor, bags of memory (check out the benchmark comparisons) but, most importantly, a really, really, bright screen. 749 NITS for what it’s worth, which means it’s brighter than almost every other phone on the market. When you add a value for money angle to it, £250 (or less) it’s a very good package. I have used iPads and iPhones but have arrived at the Nokia. I can see all I need and have just flown in Sardinia in searing heat and clear skies without an issue.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I use a G4, stuffed with apps, but it works with no problem whatsoever. I use it in Airplane mode which obviously makes a difference, as does having 2gb RAM as standard I suspect (most older smartphones are only likely to have 1gb). I paid about €140 for it at the time but even the newer G5 and G6 aren't much more. A dual-sim G5 with 3gb RAM is around €160 on Amazon, while a G6 with 64GB, 5.7" display, Android 8.0 and 4gb RAM tops out around €270. All have full HD screens. The Play versions are a bit less but I can't remember why.

Honestly you can't touch them for the money and I've used a lot of decent Android smartphones in the past.
I have a moto 5GS and sometimes I get disconnected... Do you always use Airplane mode when flying the mavic?

My primary phone is a Galaxy S9+; but, I have been using an older Galaxy S7 dedicated to the drone. I took most ever app off except the DJI software. I have a Galaxy Tab A that I am going to try. It has a 10.1 inch screen. I hope it is not too large.

I was just due for an upgrade from Sprint a couple weeks ago, went from a GS 7 Edge To a GS 9 +. Was paying monthly for the GS 7 and a Slate 8 tablet. I paid those off and using Sprint Flex lease to pay off the new phone. Basically paid off 2 devices and am now paying the same a month for 1. I love this phone. 6.2 inch screen and very bright. It has new hardware, i.e. better processor faster all around than my GS 7. I pretty much strip every app I don't need. Don't watch movies or listen to music on any of my phones anyway. I did add a 128gb Micro SD card (400gb max), the phone has 64 gig internal. Moved all apps that can be moved to it, except DJI GO 4. I DO have GO 4 store all video and data to the SD card, but think the app itself will run better that way.

I AM bias though, have had great experiences Samsung phones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11