DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best tablet/device to dedicate to mavic

try turning on developer mode and USB debugging, that helps a lot with connectivity and latency.
Regards,
-d.
That was the first thing I tried lol. I may just return it shame I was liking that tablet.

That was the first thing I tried lol. I may just return it shame I was liking that tablet.

I'm pretty disappointed as well. I've gone back to using my IPhone 6+ until DJI can fix this.

I'm actually finding I like flying with the IPHONE. I use Litchi for Waypoint flights, which I create on Mission Hub on my Mac. I'm thinking about getting a IPad Pro for planning AutoPilot and Litchi flights but using the phone for flying. I don't do much manual flying as I'm mainly interested in taking video. I get much better video using automated flights.

Was curious about the Sony experia z3 performance as far as heating is concerned, I really like the format of this phone but intensive tasks make it overheat and shut down the app according to many blogs, is the go 4 app considered to be intensive processing?
Does your beloved z3 get hot and has it ever shut down the app?
Would the z3 plus or the z5 be a better choice as there are different processors but they all see, to suffer heating.
Do you notice much lag?
Thanks for any advice.
I'm going to chime in again on the subject of tablets vs phones for controlling the Mavic with Go or any of the others. I always used a Shield, or occasionally an iPad Air 2 with my Phantom, and both devices were great. But with one massive flaw that applied to both. As far as I know, there is not one single tablet out there that is anywhere bright enough to be used in bright sunlight. On the other hand, a good quality phone (Sony Xperia S3/S5, Galaxy S6/S7, any newish iPhone etc) will out perform any tablet in the brightness stakes as most are specifically designed to be useable outdoors. No sunshade needed with either my Z3 (the best by quite a margin), an S7 Edge I had briefly or any of the iPhones knocking about our house.
The Z3's screen is to die for and is eye wateringly bright and just big enough at 5.2 inches.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I got an iPad mini 4 two days ago. No crashes or video glitches, very smooth.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
Was curious about the Sony experia z3 performance as far as heating is concerned, I really like the format of this phone but intensive tasks make it overheat and shut down the app according to many blogs, is the go 4 app considered to be intensive processing?
Does your beloved z3 get hot and has it ever shut down the app?
Would the z3 plus or the z5 be a better choice as there are different processors but they all see, to suffer heating.
Do you notice much lag?
Thanks for any advice.

Not one glitch on the Z3 . It has never disconnected. However, I've gone to the dark side as I did eventually realise that the screen actually is a bit small. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I've settled on an iPad mini 4.

Reactions: Scarab69 and geigy
I had an iPad Air 2 for work. Currently using a very dodgey setup, top right corner in the RC holder, left side over the RC holder with a rubber band around the end of the controller and corner of the iPad stretched down past the lightning connector. Have am iPad holder on its way with inbuilt neck strap. I am used to flying RC planes and always had a neck strap so finding it hard without!

Using a chinese Xiaomi MI5s Plus here. Nice screen size, fast processor, no heat. It just need a screen shade for the very bright days. I didn't have any problem using it until now.

I asked the same question earlier today, and this was the response.

While none of these things are a deal-breaker for most people, here is what you'll lose by using a Wi-Fi only device:
  • You cannot use Follow Me mode
  • You cannot reset the home point to your current location after taking off
  • If you want to see the maps in DJI GO, you'll need to cache them before flying
Are the restrictions on follow me and resetting the home point due to lack of cell service or lack of GPS? Many if not most Wifi only Android devices still have GPS.

So my Nexus 7 2013 has GPS. If I cache the maps before hand I have all features available without having to make a hot spot with my phone?
I reset my Nexus 7 and then loaded a bare minimum of apps. I find it works perfectly with my Mavic. No app crashes. No lag. Fits the controller. I'm sure glad I didn't give it away or sell it since it's not my go to tablet for general use.

Are the restrictions on follow me and resetting the home point due to lack of cell service or lack of GPS? Many if not most Wifi only Android devices still have GPS.
Lack of GPS. You can deal with this with an external GPS bluetooth unit if necessary. GPS on the tablet is added insurance that could save you in certain situations. The most important is making sure the aircraft home location and your location are the same - in some situations where GPS is unstable, it would be very good to know if they differ from one another, so that return to home, and the heading compass, both know where you actually are.

Last edited:
Before deciding on a tablet, it's always best to take your controller to the store to make sure everything fits.

With my Samsung Galaxy Tab A, it fits in the holder but the USB C connector is right under one of the side clamps, in the worst possible place. If I turn the tablet upside down, the on-off button is inaccessible, and I have to use a longer USB cable to connect rather than the much neater short cables that come with the controller. I had to make a little wooden tool to reach in to turn the tablet on and off.

My Galaxy Tab S2 works perfect and my Galaxy 7 Edge likewise. No problems at all with either. My 8 inch tablet fits nicely into the controller arms

The Mavic Pro controller is actually designed to accept the iPad Mini4. That's what the cut-outs in the "grips" on the controller are for. So it really doesn't "just barely" accept the iPad Mini. It is made for it.

Griz

Just get an iPad mini 4 and use your litchi app on it, it works great and fits in the controller (just barely)

The Mavic Pro controller is actually designed to accept the iPad Mini4. That's what the cut-outs in the "grips" on the controller are for. So it really doesn't "just barely" accept the iPad Mini. It is made for it.

Griz
Actually it wasn't made for the ipad mini 4, compatible devices were only listed up to the iPhone 6+, it was members of this forum that discovered that the mini would fit if you 'cocked' the arms out and fit the corners of the mini in the slots. This was designed as a folding 'Portable' UAV, and everyone carries a phone, not so much a ipad mini in your pocket.

Reactions: Aerial West
I reset my Nexus 7 and then loaded a bare minimum of apps. I find it works perfectly with my Mavic. No app crashes. No lag. Fits the controller. I'm sure glad I didn't give it away or sell it since it's not my go to tablet for general use.
I have a 2013 Nexus 7 at home, and I haven't touched it for quite a while. Can it keep up with the video? It seems quite slow now compared with other android devices phones that I have (S7 Edge & Motorola Droid Turbo). I did a factory reset and disabled a lot of the factory installed apps, installed the DJI Go4, but never dared to use it to fly the Mavic.

I have a 2013 Nexus 7 at home, and I haven't touched it for quite a while. Can it keep up with the video? It seems quite slow now compared with other android devices phones that I have (S7 Edge & Motorola Droid Turbo). I did a factory reset and disabled a lot of the factory installed apps, installed the DJI Go4, but never dared to use it to fly the Mavic.
I use my old Nexus 7 to fly my Mavic and have had no problems. I did just what you described ... reset and loaded only necessary apps. I also set Gmail to manually sync. With no other apps competing for processor time, it works great.

I use my old Nexus 7 to fly my Mavic and have had no problems. I did just what you described ... reset and loaded only necessary apps. I also set Gmail to manually sync. With no other apps competing for processor time, it works great.
Thanks for your feedback. I gave it a shot and hooked up the controller with the Nexus 7, but the image was very choppy and the lower half of the video are all mosaics. Guess it didn't work for me, and I think I will pull the trigger on the Epson Moverio BT-300 and use it as a dedicated tablet for Mavic Pro.

Thanks for your feedback. I gave it a shot and hooked up the controller with the Nexus 7, but the image was very choppy and the lower half of the video are all mosaics. Guess it didn't work for me, and I think I will pull the trigger on the Epson Moverio BT-300 and use it as a dedicated tablet for Mavic Pro.
Sorry to hear that it didn't work. My Nexus has been flawless with the Mavic, and it's a tablet recommended by DJI. It has to be the Nexus 7 version 2 (2013). Also, are you sure the USB cable you were using was good? I've found the are differences and they can get flakey with age and use.

I'm using a note 4 and it's ok. It's being replaced by S8 Plus tomorrow, but I'm preferring a dedicated device as well. I tried a cheap $50 RCA Voyager tablet that I was able to get work, but it's pretty horrible on the video. I'll donate it to someone or their child who could use one. What I'm really leaning towards is a used ipad mini 2 or 3 with wifi only. I don't use a tablet for much of anything and the wife's ipad mini 1st gen suites her needs just fine, so there's no point in buying more ipad than needed. For maps I'm sure it'll be pretty easy to hotspot my new Galaxy S8+.

I have a question though and especially since the mini's come in so many different amounts of storage. Does the amount of storage affect the performance of the mini with the Mavic? Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU