DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best tablet/device to dedicate to mavic

Sorry to hear that it didn't work. My Nexus has been flawless with the Mavic, and it's a tablet recommended by DJI. It has to be the Nexus 7 version 2 (2013). Also, are you sure the USB cable you were using was good? I've found the are differences and they can get flakey with age and use.
I think the reason that it didn't work is because the Nexus 7 that I had was an earlier version, and I don't think the hardware can keep up with the DJI Go4 app. Looking into the Moverio BT-300 now and will pull the trigger once I get confirmation on the Rochester Shade.

I reset my Nexus 7 and then loaded a bare minimum of apps. I find it works perfectly with my Mavic. No app crashes. No lag. Fits the controller. I'm sure glad I didn't give it away or sell it since it's not my go to tablet for general use.
Yep, did exactly the same. No issues at all

Found K1 Shield tablet and flew with that now I'm spoiled

Sent from [emoji211]
Just have to ask you. Are you still flying Mavic with the Shield?
Is it trustworthy? I have a new 2017 model and I am way to afraid to try it.
So many tell me if it's not Apple it will **** down and crash.

Just have to ask you. Are you still flying Mavic with the Shield?
Is it trustworthy? I have a new 2017 model and I am way to afraid to try it.
So many tell me if it's not Apple it will **** down and crash.
All I fly with is my Shield (which is mostly dedicated to the mavic) or my Note 4 when I want to be a little more portable .

Both work just fine. I don't have any IOS devices , so I can't compare unfortunately . But for $200 the shield is excellent . I also have a pair of fatshark hd3 goggles that I can use for fpv with the hdmi output of the shield .

How long have you flown Mavic with the Shield? What way do you hold the Shield to the radio?

I've had it since January. As far as how I hold it, I either use a bracket I made similar to the Mavmount or I use a longer USB cable and stand if there are other people around that want to see the screen.

I have a IPad mini 4 , if you search this subject here there is a lot of discussion on it

Why did you choose the mini 4? Why not the 3?

Just unboxed my mavic and was all set to use the iPad mini I have just sitting here (I never use it) ... only to find out it's the mini 1 and isn't compatible

So ... I have an old iPhone 6 (small) that I can dedicate as my screen. Or buy a tablet.

The old 6 doesn't have cell service but did Download the software with no problem

I bought my Mavic on Memorial Day weekend along with an iPad Mini 4. It does fit.
It takes a little practice the first few times. It will initially feel like it will not fit. It will, and will get easier every time after that. Just go slow and don't force it the first couple of times.

Are the restrictions on follow me and resetting the home point due to lack of cell service or lack of GPS? Many if not most Wifi only Android devices still have GPS.

GPS is the issue. But you can hotspot your phone to your device to get GPS, or send a Bluetooth GPS device. Follow me....blah, Active Track still works, and is a better option for most.

GPS is the issue. But you can hotspot your phone to your device to get GPS, or send a Bluetooth GPS device.
Hotspotting a phone will not share the GPS data. Bluetooth GPS devices (like these) will work though.

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
Or doesn't if you have one of the slightly revised controllers, 3 members have noted iPad mini 4 doesn't fit... me being one so buy it somewhere you can return if that is the case...

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

My iPad mini 4 fits, grant it the mounting arms on the controller are wide as possible, but it is secure none the less.

I use my iPad Mini 4 fits nicely and it works fine so far I haven't had any issues. Also great as I don't want anyone ringing me when im flying
I just flew my Mavic will send iPad to mini and it overheated in the sun this turning the screen blank apparently this also disconnected the Mavic and it was quite a panic
But you may already own a portion of what you need: a phone that can create a Wi-Fi hotspot. If you have that then you can buy a wifi pad, fly and get maps, GPS etc. ......works fine for the last 15 flights I've made w/ Just a Wi-Fi iPad

To clarify.
Be careful to not expose your iPad mini to much direct sun! Mine overheated leaving its screen black reporting "overheated" and Litchi app verbally reporting "Mavic disconnected". I was running a Litchi waypoint sequence far away via wifi hotspot served by iphone. It was only when I quit the waypoint mode that the home button seemed to produce a response! Elsewize hotspot wifi has been faultless. I'm not certain what was the root cause of failure ( overheat or disconnect) but it was a panic for a minute or two I never want to repeat!

Another reason for a sunshade, I guess. Were you looking at the screen, or was it sitting in full sunlight? Just wondering because I have an iPad 4 that I usually use with a sun shade, and have not seen any overheating.

BTW, Litchi will keep on flying the route, even if it loses signal. No gimbal movements though so your video will be less than ideal.

I've finally found an Android tablet that works flawlessly with Go 4.1.5 and the Mavic, the Lenovo Tab3 8 Plus.
Specs. Lenovo Tab3 8 Plus - Full tablet specifications It's sold as the Lenovo P8 by Chinese online stores, but it's a Tab3 8 Plus (including the packaging). Current pricing is ~$160.
Great screen, really good speakers, minimal bloatware and it's got GPS.
Main downside is that the 16:9 format makes it impossible to fit into the controller's arms making a tablet mount essential. It's (just) bright enough to use in sunshine but a sunshade helps.

Sorry if this is a dead hoarse, but I was using an old Samsung S6 Edge for a few weeks and upgraded to the Mini 4 yesterday (on sale at BB for $280). Wish I would have done it sooner. I fits well in the controller, seems bright enough, and has 128 gb of storage. So far the only thing I don't like is that you can't download maps in iOS like you can with Android (as far as I can tell).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000