DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best tablet under $500 for flying a drone?

thesotman

Reactions
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a tablet with a bright display that is under $500.
8" screen size or above.
Android preferably.

Thanks.

Reactions: kerryp24
It's not under $500, but it is the brightest Android tablet that works well with a tablet holder because this tablet is a chunk to carry around.

Brightest Tablet Android on the market | Tripltek

I bit the bullet and purchased the Pro model a while back and couldn't be happier with the results.

Long battery life and a bright screen keeps me flying all day.

Have fun shopping as there are a lot of Droids out there to choose from. :)

I about fainted when I first saw the cost of a TripleTek tablet. So I went with a DJI Smart Controller in a combo kit (saves $300). But after owning a bright 1000 nit display for a while, I can say in direct sun it still isn't enough. And, the small screen is still a small screen. So the idea of moving to some other option is creeping into my mind. Value is relative, and for the utility of a larger screen, $600 is no longer breath taking. But, it is only 1200 nits, a little better than the DJI SC.

I use a ipad mini 5 it has a 256 gb capacity as well as a Hoodman Aviator HAV1E Sunshade. Very happy with both items. Most of the time I only use the lower section, but not always. The ipad mini I bought on sale for about $475. I the hood I don't know around $100 maybe, it's been awhile. It was awkward at first, now I'm very fast at setup. Then there's the 20 dollar ipad mount which I modified, works excellent. Very, very dense foam. It more than supports the ipad without worring about stripping out the plastic nut they all come with. Without the foam it will not hold the mound stable.IMG_1009.JPGIMG_1008.JPG

Last edited:
I now use a Mini 5. I previously used a Mini 4 but with the more demanding DJI Fly updates over the last year, it put such a strain on the processor (A8 vs the 5's A12), that the Mini 4 CPU and chip architecture no longer had the processing power to host the controller app adequately. Also, the Mini 5 has a small increase in NITs, improving screen brightness somewhat. Other than the initial price of ownership, the Mini 5 works without issues. In all fairness, there are other competitive tablets with better screen brightness. But I am so far down the rabbit hole with Apple products, I cannot reasonably change to an Android tablet.

Reactions: RabiGerri
I bought a Lenovo M8 FHD tablet. Only paid $140. FULLY meets DJI Fly requirements. Amazing screen, plenty of ram and power. Octa core 2.3Ghz, 1900x1200, 3GB Ram, 32GB Rom and can take upto 2TB exFat or 128GB FAT micro SD card.

I bought a Lenovo M8 FHD tablet. Only paid $140. FULLY meets DJI Fly requirements. Amazing screen, plenty of ram and power. Octa core 2.3Ghz, 1900x1200, 3GB Ram, 32GB Rom and can take upto 2TB exFat or 128GB FAT micro SD card.

I have that tablet as well,I didn't know it would work with the DJI Drones? Does it work flawlessly? How is it in the Sun and Hot days? Any issues? Please let me know, thanks.

Reactions: kerryp24
I agree 100%

Reactions: MA2 317
I have been very happy with the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite and you should be able to find it for under $375
and I use the UZOPI Mavic Mini Air Pro Platinum Spark Accessories Tablet Holder available on Amazon for under $20

Try the Feelworld FW279 Monitor added to your Smart Controller. 2200 Nits, just over $200, Works great,can see well with on half power, but will go super bright when needed. You still use the SC for control, but you use the monitor to view the camera screen. Excellent Monitor! There are newer versions with higher res, but not needed unless you want the added features.

1631288018835.png

Reactions: AnzacJack
I have that tablet as well,I didn't know it would work with the DJI Drones? Does it work flawlessly? How is it in the Sun and Hot days? Any issues? Please let me know, thanks.
I specifically bought it when I got my MA2 which required you to use DJI Fly and the specs for that were that it needed a 64bit processor (annoying since my MA uses Fly 4 and no such requirements).
I have used it without issues. Works fine.
I have a sun shade I bought to use with it ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774SXY6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) along with the a tablet mount ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RFDBA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I haven't had any issues with it overheating and I live in Wilmington where May-Aug are 90+F and 90+% humidity days. But... YMMV

Reactions: nestorosg
I specifically bought it when I got my MA2 which required you to use DJI Fly and the specs for that were that it needed a 64bit processor (annoying since my MA uses Fly 4 and no such requirements).
I have used it without issues. Works fine.
I have a sun shade I bought to use with it ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774SXY6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) along with the a tablet mount ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RFDBA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). I haven't had any issues with it overheating and I live in Wilmington where May-Aug are 90+F and 90+% humidity days. But... YMMV
Which tablet are you referring to? There are several mentioned above.

Tripltek has two models look them up in Amazon. If you can put a little bit more $$ that's the one I would recommend and I suspect around the holidays they'll probably have some specials . I'm crossing my fingers. But for right now I'm using the smart controller

Unfortunately it doesn't have a built in compass so I wouldn't consider it even close to the best tablet for under $500.
What do you mean by compass? You mean, Magnetometer? Do you REALLY use that? I have NEVER used it or needed it with any drone I've ever owned. But, if you feel you need it, then don't buy this $140 tablet.

Last edited:
What do you mean by compass? You mean, Magnetometer? Do you REALLY use that? I have NEVER used it or needed it with any drone I've ever owned. But, if you feel you need it, then don't by this $140 tablet.
I bought it and returned it because it had no compass. Without it your orientation to the drone will not work right. I'm just saying if someone asks for "the best tablet for under $500". I'm sure they'll want 100% all available functionality it can have. The Lenovo M8 FHD tablet Doesn't.
Long video but very informative. At about the 4:50 mark in the video it will show you how it works.

Try the Feelworld FW279 Monitor added to your Smart Controller. 2200 Nits, just over $200, Works great,can see well with on half power, but will go super bright when needed. You still use the SC for control, but you use the monitor to view the camera screen. Excellent Monitor! There are newer versions with higher res, but not needed unless you want the added features.

View attachment 134699
That looks extremely interesting! I have the SC but at 80, my eyes are not what I wished they were. I am needing a bigger screen and I don't mind having to deal with a larger tablet. Also with your setup, if I needed more portability, I could just use the SC. Could you please give me more details regarding your set-up such as the mount, etc. I would certainly appreciate your telling me how I can get all the necessary components to set up what you are using.
THANKS!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada