DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Tablets For Mavic Pro?

I have an ipad mini 4 and 5, and dont notice a huge difference between them. My work ipad is a 11.9 pro, and though it was a battle to find a clamp big enough i now have one, and its superb, though really large and unwieldy, so not ideal unless i am at a picnik bench or similar, though the detail is superb. My go to is the ipad mini 5, with a sun shield. My pal has a ipad mini 4 and an ipad air. The Air has all the advantages and disadvantages the pro has, so i would go for a 32gn non wifi mini 5 every time. I am yet to find a disadvantage to them, other than the cost. Loads of eBay deals about though
I used to use the Ipad Mini 4 with the Mavic Pro and it worked great. Since then have upgraded to a Mavic 2 Pro and the Ipad Mini 4 no longer was adequate. Started getting processor overload errors. Switched over to a new Ipad Mini 5 (non-cellular model, wifi only) and the errors went away. So, there is significant difference in processor capability between the two models. This has been documented repeatedly by other members of this forum.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E is very good/fast with an AMOLED bright display easily viewable outdoors.

I use an IPad 10.2 wifi only, no cellular and tether it to my IPhone. Completely functional, low cost and works perfectly.

I used to use the Ipad Mini 4 with the Mavic Pro and it worked great. Since then have upgraded to a Mavic 2 Pro and the Ipad Mini 4 no longer was adequate. Started getting processor overload errors. Switched over to a new Ipad Mini 5 (non-cellular model, wifi only) and the errors went away. So, there is significant difference in processor capability between the two models. This has been documented repeatedly by other members of this forum.

I have noticed the same thing. Except with different drone models. If I use the Mavic pro (GSP and Go 4) with my iPad mini 4 I have no problems (except wish it was a brighter screen). When I use the Mavic mini and the GoFly app my iPad mini 4 just about overheated when fully flying up to 30 mins. It was so hot, I was getting processor power failure and I wasn’t getting a video signal too well. Good to hear that if I upgrade to the iPad mini 5 that It seems to go away. I have also noticed this partially taken place with my Mavic 2 Zoom (Go4 app) that I use for work. Mavic Pro no problems though. I really think people should know this in advance because it might be more beneficial for someone to buy an older Drone to use with their current equipment unless they want to buy a new drone and new equipment.

Since you have used both, has the screen brightness on the iPad mini 5 really improved versus the 4? Its so hard to see in the sun.

Just to be clear. You mean you are able to set a new home point to where the RC / iPad is located, rather than where you took off from?

I have had a iPad Mini 2 (Go3 days) and updated to a iPadPro 9.7" for Go4...I have never had a issue with a defined setting of home location to remote/tablet location on either. Back with the Mini 2 and a P3P my "Follow" me function was extremely accurate. The old Follow me and Dynamic home point are the only reasons to have a 4G LTE Version (W/ GPS) of a iPad (that and aircraft orientation display in App), that and resale value is MUCH higher! YMMV.

Note: That Apple products are very heat sensitive to ambient heat...couple that with operational heat gain and they will throttle to compensate when they can which will cripple output on Go/Fly Apps. As fly is 64 bit it is inherently more processor intensive. The Mini 5 has a much much better processor than it's previous versions and if going for the long haul on DJI... I highly recommend it. ;)

As far as screens on Mini 4 to Mini 5 there is 50 nits difference (450 to 500), one would be hard pressed in shade let alone sunlight to notice any real difference. Both would require shade in direct sunlight and again sunlight on the screen will cause tablet to overheat in almost all "normal" summer weather.

Last edited:
I have noticed the same thing. Except with different drone models. If I use the Mavic pro (GSP and Go 4) with my iPad mini 4 I have no problems (except wish it was a brighter screen). When I use the Mavic mini and the GoFly app my iPad mini 4 just about overheated when fully flying up to 30 mins. It was so hot, I was getting processor power failure and I wasn’t getting a video signal too well. Good to hear that if I upgrade to the iPad mini 5 that It seems to go away. I have also noticed this partially taken place with my Mavic 2 Zoom (Go4 app) that I use for work. Mavic Pro no problems though. I really think people should know this in advance because it might be more beneficial for someone to buy an older Drone to use with their current equipment unless they want to buy a new drone and new equipment.

Since you have used both, has the screen brightness on the iPad mini 5 really improved versus the 4? Its so hard to see in the sun.
I don't think so. I use a hood over my iPad Mini which really helps.

I have an ipad mini 4 and 5, and dont notice a huge difference between them. My work ipad is a 11.9 pro, and though it was a battle to find a clamp big enough i now have one, and its superb, though really large and unwieldy, so not ideal unless i am at a picnik bench or similar, though the detail is superb. My go to is the ipad mini 5, with a sun shield. My pal has a ipad mini 4 and an ipad air. The Air has all the advantages and disadvantages the pro has, so i would go for a 32gn non wifi mini 5 every time. I am yet to find a disadvantage to them, other than the cost. Loads of eBay deals about though
@diver dave . Did the Ipad Mini 5's display hold up better in the heat of summer than the Ipad Mini 4?

@diver dave . Did the Ipad Mini 5's display hold up better in the heat of summer than the Ipad Mini 4?
Sorry for the delay in responding, in Scotland, summer is a relative term, and the heat makes no difference. Its not a thing i really consider in terms of ipads, controllers or batteries. We have perhaps a 25 degree temperature change across the whole year i guess, so the heating of a unit is almost irrelevant. I find both about the same. The 5 never gets any warnings, but it is under a year old. The older 4 gives an occasional warning when i fly with loads of apps open, but its more down to me than the ipad. I have no experience in super hot temperatures

Reactions: anotherlab
Quick note on tablets.

I noticed in direct sunlight all phone screens still really struggle to display clearly - especially when the sun is above and shining directly on the display.

Interesting that when I took my wife's low end Samsung tablet out (can check the model of needed) in direct sun i could actually see the airmap fine, maybe a softer image, but much easier on the eye and still fairly clear. I think that it may be the case to find a small tablet that has a backlit screen option design rather than high end nits specifications.

Any idea on this approach? Any suggestions now as to perhaps a good model?

Reactions: Mavikhan
DJI Go4 is the same on both operating systems.
I'd go with an IOS tablet, e.g secondhand Ipad Mini 4
Android devices drain the remote controller battery as they charge off it, IOS device don't do this.

The fact that IOS devices don't drain the RC controller battery as do Android devices, is a compelling reason to go with an IOS device for all drone flying, even if some Android devices offer brighter screens outdoors than IOS devices. When my used Mavic Pro finally arrives, I have one more major reason to remain a loyal Ipad drone flier.

To eliminate sun glare while flying my Phantom 3 Standard, and 2020 Fimi X8 quad, I fitted an ebay purchased sun-hood inside an airline traveler's shoulder bag, the width of whose viewing port I can adjust as needed to cut sun glare, by incrementally opening or shutting the bag's twin zippers.

I do look rather odd grasping an RC controller while staring intently into a partially open travel bag slung over my neck, so it is a good thing I generally launch my drone from the front of my residence where the purpose of this ritualistic bag-gazing vigil is known.

Reactions: DroneToJoy
I do look rather odd grasping an RC controller while staring intently into a partially open travel bag slung over my neck, so it is a good thing I generally launch my drone from the front of my residence where the purpose of this ritualistic bag-gazing vigil is known.
I stare down into a specially adapted Blue Moon box (bottles) as a sun hood while wearing a huge sombrero. My wife and children refuse to leave the house with me.

I stare down into a specially adapted Blue Moon box (bottles) as a sun hood while wearing a huge sombrero. My wife and children refuse to leave the house with me.
Lol. I try look cool like I'm gaming from the bonnet of my car wearing Raybans, peak cap, and a t-shirt with a logo that usually states something with caution ?

I've thought about getting a t-shirt made that says "bomb disposal robot operator"

I am loving my Ipad Mini 2 but the battery drains super quick on the Ipad when out in the cold weather of a British winter. Max of 8-10 minutes flight on a full charge.

Just wondering if other Ipad versions do the same or this just an IPad Mini 2 problem?

Hello everyone, I hope your having a great day.....
I have a question?
My eye are not what they used to be soo I am looking for a good tablet to fly my drone...
What are some of the best tablets in 2020 to fly my Mavic Pro with good processor speed?
I am not sure what kind of specs. to look for in a tablet for my Mavic Pro...
Thanks for your help guys & gals.
I don't know much ... I am in a pinch so I removed all apps and programming from a HP sprint Slate8 . and now it is working great ! it is dedicated to only aloft, and of course fly app. it starts off glitchy cam next to the drone at first. then smooth as ever for the rest of the time . no quarks as of yet.... about 20 flights. I just may end up not changing it if it gives me no reason to? I want an ipad 4 but no one will ever say what size in memory??

You are absolutely right about that......I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 plus and when I connect it to my remote it charges and drains the battery...
I'm new to this topic (here to learn) but I do have some knowledge of devices and chargers, and I would expect that there would be some way to modify the connection cable to disable the pad charging from the controller. Might be as easy as snipping one conductor (which I guess has the potential to trigger an error if the software is super sophisticated).

You said you prefer the ipad mini 5, but can you tell me if a regular ipad 10.2" will fit into the M2P remote control in the horizontal position or would it need a mount? Thanks.
Many of the readers of this thread will have no idea as it is not an M2P thread. If the M2P controller is anything like the Mavic Pro controller you’ll need a mount!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78