DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best time of day to film

dugg8

Reactions
I know that sunrise and sunset create some of the best conditions for photography. Is the same true for filming video with a drone?

For instance, if you're filming straight down with the mavic, wouldn't the sun being directly overhead yield good results?

Blue Hour and Golden Hour are some of the very best times to take video. Although if the video shot is long enough the changing light conditions cause one to need to set camera settings and exposure for varying light conditions.

I had some of the best light conditions on a recent golden hour shoot over the ocean and **** if the sun did not drop very quickly.

Two apps worth checking out are Magic Hour and PhotoPills. I've got both for iOS, not sure if they are available on Android devices but I'm sure there is something similar.

Reactions: timsco60
Early morning also avoids crowds and unnecessary attention.

This all begs the question - "What are you trying to achieve". Lighting of any form in photography depends upon the mood you are trying to capture with the image. It can range from dark and moody (think Batman movies) to bright and upbeat (think romantic comedy) or anywhere in between. The key is to think about your subject, the mood you want to convey and what lighting emphasizes what you want in your image.

Drones are interesting because they marry people who like RCs or the ability to fly with people who are trying to capture imagery in a new way. The two groups come from completely different places. I would argue that it's much easier to learn to fly a drone than to learn how to capture great images. All of the complexities of photography are here with the added issue of learning to fly an aircraft.

The best way to figure out both is to practice, practice, practice and burn thousands of images/videos and hundreds of flights until you get skilled at both.

The joy is in the discovery!

Reactions: BD0G
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marriedwithchildren